-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a FN commercial mauser (Mark X) and I just put on a Mauser 98 shroud without a safety, and now it will not cock. I have never had this problenm before.Do I need to change the standard cocking piece for a speedlock cocking piece? Any Ideas?? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I think you mean is that the cocking piece will not travel far enough to the rear to engage the sear .... right.

How far back it goes is a function of the dimensions of the camming cut in the assembly.

I've never seen a real 98 shroud w/o a safe, so I'm guessing it's an aftermarket piece.
You can make it work and get the speedlock effect by cutting back the front of the sear engaging piece on the striker. Should be rehardened afterwards. You'll also need a stronger firing pin spring.

Just curious but: "why" ?

BTW Mark Xs are not FNs. Commercial FNs were made in Belgium, The story on Mark Xs is:

"A Mauser Mark-X is a Commercial Mauser made by Zastava Arms out of eastern Europe and imported and sold by Interarms. They are good rifles that hold up very well.

After Interarms stopped importing them, Charles Daly imported them as the Daly Mauser for several years, until Zastava gave their contract to Remington.

Remington installs the barreled actions on nicer wood stocks and markets it as a 798. Same barreled action as before, but prettier and much more expensive."

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As is usual Larry (interthem) has it wrong.

The cocking cam is integral with the bolt body on a Mauser design it is not in the shroud assembly.
If you're using the same cocking piece and the same bolt body then the problem rests with your new shroud as the cocking piece and the bolt body have not been altered.

You either have something in the shroud hanging up and not allowing the entire FP assembly far enough, or is letting it too far into the bolt, or your sear is not returning to its normal position and failing to pick up the cocking piece.
I'd take the FP spring off and reassemble the unit without it to see if the FP/cocking piece assembly slides freely through your new shroud.
With a true 98 action you cannot fit the cocking piece to the FP incorrectly but you may be able to do so on a Mark X. I'd check that as well.
Finally make sure your sear spring returns the sear to the correct position.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nsaqam
As is usual Larry (interthem) has it wrong.

The cocking cam is integral with the bolt body on a Mauser design it is not in the shroud assembly.
If you're using the same cocking piece and the same bolt body then the problem rests with your new shroud as the cocking piece and the bolt body have not been altered.

You either have something in the shroud hanging up and not allowing the entire FP assembly far enough, or is letting it too far into the bolt, or your sear is not returning to its normal position and failing to pick up the cocking piece.
I'd take the FP spring off and reassemble the unit without it to see if the FP/cocking piece assembly slides freely through your new shroud.
With a true 98 action you cannot fit the cocking piece to the FP incorrectly but you may be able to do so on a Mark X. I'd check that as well.
Finally make sure your sear spring returns the sear to the correct position.

No! Larry has it right. The Mark-X has a speedlock system which entails a shorter firing pin fall. The cocking piece is not back far enough to engage the safety lever. The cocking piece needs to be cut back so it will engage the safety lever.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to the OP the ONLY thing changed was the shroud. The FP, bolt body, and cocking piece were not changed.
The shroud is the only variable if the rifle worked prior to the shroud change.

And, how does whether the safety lever engages or not have anything at all to do with whether the CP engages the sear?

Last edited by nsaqam; 03/28/12.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jkob

No! Larry has it right. The Mark-X has a speedlock system which entails a shorter firing pin fall. The cocking piece is not back far enough to engage the safety lever. The cocking piece needs to be cut back so it will engage the safety lever.

Read the OP once, there is no safety lever on the shroud he put on! The safety has nothing at all to do with the OP's question.

JHC, I surely didn't "jump" on Redneck but you're a different story.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have to understand that the ironmonger from the rust belt knows more about everything than anyone walking the face of the earth.

As you are a member of ACGM, that just proves you must be a dummie.

Nastyquim probably owns no Mausers, has never seen a Mark X side by side with the other "98 variants" and is just blowing the usual smoke he does whenever anyone who is on the "Troll Brigades" hit list posts on any thread.

OP he is WRONG, don't listen to him, he has no professional creditials as does the gentleman who agreed with me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read the OP!

JKob got it wrong as there is no safety at all in the new shroud.

Clearly stated in the OP but JKob didn't read that apparently and even if it were present, which it is not, it would have zero bearing on the cocking issue based upon the info in the OP which JKob did not read.

Even in JKob's post he doesn't agree with what Larry wrote despite him saying he does.
Larry was speaking of the sear/CP interface and JKob was speaking of the CP/safety lever interface. One is on the top of the CP and the other on the bottom of the CP.

Larry and JKob both spewing garbage.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't let Larry publish my books and I wouldn't let JKob touch my guns.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have any guns ?
You ever written anything beyond you GED final exam w/crayons ?

The "safety lever" he was talking about is part of the sear assembly, nothing to do with a "safety" numbnutts. Nor does any Mauser safety have anything to do with engaging the cocking piece with the sear.

I doubt you've ever seen a Mark X apart or you wouldn't be looking dumber with every post !

You and you "boy" Bricky are a pair of bookends ..... if someone said the sky was blue, you'ld say: "no it a'int."

OP .... take it to a qualified gunsmith to sort it out. There are too many idiot know-it-all Trolls here for you to use this site as a source for life and death matters.

Kenny, you just gotta stop peeing on the floor !

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a link to the Mark X owners manual.

Mark X Owner Manual PDF

It's a PDF and it shows two different trigger assemblies. Not knowing which one you have maybe you could clarify.

You could also clarify whether ANYTHING BUT the shroud (called the bolt sleeve(#38) in the PDF) was changed.
Was the firing pin (#36), cocking piece (#'s 41.1 or 41.2), bolt body(#33.1 or 33.2), sear(#8 or 87) or any part of either trigger type changed in any way?
If ONLY the shroud (bolt sleeve #38) was changed and the rifle cocked correctly before you changed it and only it then the problem lies with the shroud as that is the ONLY variable.

If you have the adjustable trigger assembly you can try to adjust the sear to trigger engagement as outlined on pages 10 and 11 of the PDF. This may have been bumped or been loose and the problem only manifested itself when you changed out the old shroud/bolt sleeve for the new one.

Last edited by nsaqam; 03/28/12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OP take it to a gunsmith. Remember that if you change anything from the exact factory conformation, as delivered, and something bad happens you, not the maker, will be liable in both civil and criminal court.

Time to consult a LICENSED GUNSMITH not some one on an Internet blog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by interthem
OP take it to a gunsmith.

Time to consult a LICENSED GUNSMITH not some one on an Internet blog.

Surprisingly enough I have to agree with Larry on this one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad you're catching on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not catching on to anything I just have doubts about the OP's ability to work on his own weaponry based upon his non response to questions asking for clarification.
And based on his inability to access an Owners Manual of his own.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and he can't spell "piece" either.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,273
Posts18,486,635
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.