Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
My wife is actually pressuring me to get a hunt organized. I would like it to be a good experience for her so she will wish to return and bring the kids the next time. It looks like every operation out there is luxurious and that she will certainly appreciate.

There are too many operations out there to make up my mind. The only requirement I really have is to hunt free ranging animals and have the ability to see members of the big five.

Namibia? South Africa?

Thanks

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
it is not easy to see the big five and hunt plains game at the same place, especially in SA......spend a few days in a park like Kruger. Shake off the jet lag and see the big 5 plus a whole lot more....then go on your plains game hunt....there are several threads about this with several suggestions of good operations to hunt with...not sure what free ranging means to you....in SA some operations have thousands of acres fenced....if fences bother you, you might consider Namibia or Zimbabwe....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Zimbabwe
The Save Conservancy
Mokore Safaris

http://www.mokoresafaris.com/

melduckworthmokore.com

Very good people
The Save is 850,000 acres
I saw everything but leopard including black rhino on Mokore.

H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Sorry, I don't require seeing all the species in the big five but it would be nice to have the chance of seeing an elephant, buffalo and maybe a lion to get some pictures.

I was looking at Hannes Swanepoel in South Africa. Anyone hunt with his operation before? His website reads that they have government concessions outside of Kruger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Zimbabwe
The Save Conservancy

+1

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
NAMIBIA

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H

Originally Posted by ingwe
NAMIBIA

That's the problem there are hundreds people in Namibia who offer hunts, I need a solid 5 suggestions from people who have been there to narrow it down.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Okie Dokie...

Okarumuti safaris
tjsafaris
Erden hunting

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outside of the Caprivi and of course Etosha (no hunting obviously), where the heck would one be certain to see and encounter the BIG 5 in Namibia???

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Certain? no place really...

There are buffalo on waterburg plateau, lion on the border of Etosha, and leopards scattered throught...but none are a certainty....

I went with the Namibia suggestion because he mentioned taking family...just seems a bit more "user freindly" than Zim....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The SAVE and Bubye in Zim are user/family friendly. And one WILL encounter members of the BIG 5 during a hunt in either of those locations. Just sayin'...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Figured that...but I was not impressed ( in the good way...) gettin' in and out of Zim...course, I was there in 2000 when the land grabbing was going on...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
OK, for the helluva it, here is my suggestion. We hunted with the following in 2008.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

It's your 1st trip. You don't want to obsess over multiple flights, guns, etc. Go to RSA. Go to Krueger Nat. Park for 2-3 days. Get over the jet lag, see most of the big 5, then transfer to their camp. Hunt for at least 10 days, then come home. You'll be glad you did. wink

maddog

H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Alright forget I said anything about the big 5. I just thought it would be neat to see an elephant or the others and get some pics while we were hunting.

Is all of RSA fenced and Namibia fenced? Am I getting to hung up on the high fence thing?

I think it would be nice to have a sticky on this forum for people to put recommended outfits on. One for bad experiences as well.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I might recommend attending your local SCI chapter banquet as you will be able to discuss with members that have been to many African countries. You might also score a great deal on a hunt.

ALASKA KENAI PENINSULA CHAPTER

Soldotna � Alaska � Sports Center

June 09, 2012 � Contact - Keith Phillips - Phone - (907) 776-5573 or fax (907) 776-5470 - Email - Keethptialaska.net

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably the best course of action right now is to determine which PG you wish to hunt. That will determine where you should focus and obtain recommendations.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'd also vote for a Kruger viewing safari and a nearby hunting safari. I've hunted really good parts of "wild Africa" and seen or hunted all of the big five outside of parks except rhino, but it ain't gonna happen in Namibia without a LOT of driving from place to place, plus luck.

Your family will also have a much better opportunity to photograph any of the Big 5 in Kruger than while taking part in a hunting safari. Animals tend to be a little shy when hunted. You may see them in a hunting concession, but relatively briefly, and at longer distances. If that's OK with the rest of your family, go for it. But in my experience a family trip is better served with both some park viewing and some strictly hunting time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Probably the best course of action right now is to determine which PG you wish to hunt. That will determine where you should focus and obtain recommendations.

That one I've had figured out for years. Kudu, Gemsbuck, Zebra Warthog, and if possible Eland. I believe they can all be found in the same areas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hntr1
Originally Posted by FOsteology

That one I've had figured out for years. Kudu, Gemsbuck, Zebra Warthog, and if possible Eland. I believe they can all be found in the same areas.

Then I'm in agreement with the Poobah.

NAMIBIA.

Johann Veldsman Shona Hunting Adventures
http://www.shona-adventures.com

Jan du Plessis Sebra Hunting Safaris
http://www.sebrahunt.com

Both are excellent, and come highly recommended. Both are in close proximity to Etosha National Park. Either can arrange some time at Etosha, the nearby Himba villages, or even a short trip to Bushmanland to spend a day among the San Wa Bushmen.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And where would you see the Big 5, other than elephant? Black rhino, probably, but lion are iffy in Etosha. And buffalo?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,147
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.