Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Lets say you'll use it on alaska's bears, and some day a trip to Africa. What would you put together for the the ideal 375H&H?
action, barrel, stock and scope? What should it weigh when all is said and done?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wood or synthetic? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently had a Kimber Talkeetna tweaked for just that endeavor (Africa and Alaska).

Cut the barrel back to 20.5"
NECG Masterpiece Banded Front Ramp with bead and flip-up night sight
NECG Classic One Leaf Expess Sight w/Island Base

NP3 coating to bolt and internals
Cerakoted the external metal graphite black

Pillar and glass bedded

Talley SS bases and QD rings (Cerakoted graphite black)

Trips my digital scale at 7lbs 8.6oz

Shoots off the shelf Federal 300gr. TBBC and 300gr. Swift A-Frames under MOA

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
Lets say you'll use it on alaska's bears, and some day a trip to Africa. What would you put together for the the ideal 375H&H?
action, barrel, stock and scope? What should it weigh when all is said and done?

Action:Pre 64 M70 H&H length,or,M70 Classic worked over and tuned by your favorite smith.

Barrell:Krieger tube,about a #4, 23",tapered to .680-.690 at muzzle.Island rear sight,sourdough front.OR a peep built into rear base.

Stock: Echols Legend.

Weight should be about 8 pounds scoped, empty.I would use pre 64 BM;it never opens unless called upon.Scope mounts would be a cross slot format.Hold the Talleys....they don't interest me.

Wood stock pretty much the same but metal embellished and dressed up.Wiebe BM.I would try for about 8.5 pounds scoped.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Action:Pre 64 M70 H&H length,or,M70 Classic worked over and tuned by your favorite smith.

Barrell:Krieger tube,about a #4, 23",tapered to .680-.690 at muzzle.Island rear sight,sourdough front.OR a peep built into rear base.

Weight should be about 8 pounds scoped, empty.I would use pre 64 BM;it never opens unless called upon.Scope mounts would be a cross slot format.Hold the Talleys....they don't interest me.

Wood stock pretty much the same but metal embellished and dressed up.Wiebe BM.I would try for about 8.5 pounds scoped.

This. But I would use the Weibe bottom metal with the Legend stock.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Bob,

Wouldn't a #4, 23" bbl. make it heavier than 8.5# scoped?

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't see how the above would make 8lbs scoped.

My Talkeetna has a Krieger #4 barrel cut to 20.5", synthetic stock about the same weight as a McMillan, no bottom metal, and same sights. I'm at 7.5lbs before rings and scope.

And I wager there's not much weight difference between the Pre-64 M70 and Kimber actions. The Kimber may very well be a few ounces lighter.

With bases, QD rings, and a Loopy 1.5-5 the M70 would be closer to 8 3/4lbs or a tad more.

A SS M70 Classic was my second choice to build on.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mine would be built on a stainless Model 70 action with a #4 barrel screwed on and finished at 22" or 23". Hooded front sight and rear express from NEGC. McMillan super grade stock. Talley QD rings & bases. And I would top it off with a Leupold.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Handwerk, twer it me I'd go with a pre 64/70, a Scheider or Brux that would go about .65-.67"" at the mzl and cut to 23". Talley's, and a 6x36 Leo w/dotz and one of D'Arcy's handles. Bottom metal for me would the original pre 64 stuff.

Next time you're in the Bozezone I'll try to get mine in your paws. Mines wearing a Brown, and a Scheider that goes .71" at the mzl cut to 23". It shoots like a drill but's a bit heavy for my liking.

Load some 250 TTSX's or 260 Accu's along with R15 and fill up some arks!

Dober

(side note, and this is just me and I know it's Bitterroot Bob's way as well but I'd want the bugger to come in at 8 lbs all up give or take 1/4 lb)

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 03/30/12.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guys, what would be wrong with this rifle. I've been eyeballing it real hard lately:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6348590/1

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd ditch the irons, cut to 23" and have D'Arcy send me a handle and then....fill some arks! cool

Personally I like the contour on that rig. I had one, but only shot pd's with it.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I'd ditch the irons, cut to 23" and have D'Arcy send me a handle and then....fill some arks! cool

Personally I like the contour on that rig. I had one, but only shot pd's with it.

Dober

That's why I want it. The pd's are getting thick around here lately....I had to beat the hell out of them the other day with this stainless 7mm wizzum barrel I had laying around....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hear you about the D'arcy Echols legend stock though...That would be the bomb...mmmmmm..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about chukars, you ever abuse them?

And yeah a 7 wsm tube would be good for pd's as well. Load it heavy so they can't charge the rig...grin

Dober

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh yeah. I used to love hunting chukars in Nevada. Those sob's can run though....Deschutes canyons here in oregon is a good place too if you don't mind the rattle snakes.... eek

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate snakes, and I am an absolute buzztail magnate..

Dober

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had the perfect 375 H&H.

Winchester 70 classic
20" factory barrel recontured to lighten it
Brockman pop up peep, QD talley rings, tritium front sight
Highly fluted bolt and all excess metal removed from action
MPI ultra light mountain stock
3-9 ziess conquest

[Linked Image]
wish I still had it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FOsteology

I don't see how the above would make 8lbs scoped.

I own it..It does......have had it since the 80's.Maybe an Echols stock would push it over 8#,but not by enough to matter.

The only difference is mine has a Brown Precision stock.It might actually go under 8 pounds now with Weaver base, rings,and 3X Leupold,which I just installed.

Barrel is a 410 SS Krieger that actually measures around .700 at 24".

I spec'd another for a friend.A Lefty SS M70 Classic with about a #4 Lilja,and Brown Precision stock. He tell me it's hair under 8#.

A M70 Classic SS in Echols stock is heavier than either of these....bigger barrel.I have handled a Kimber Talkeetna,but it has been awhile.I don't think it comes in lighter than mine,but could be wrong.In any event I would not want a 375 without a floorplate.

DF I will forward pics.

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/31/12.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine is 7.5lbs naked and about 9lbs dressed.

couple items to be worked out but here'the skinny on specs:

M70 LH classic action
SS PacNor 23" .670
Wiebe BM
trigger tuned
bolt release worked over
NECG rear and front sights
Gentry sling swivel
Echols Legend

Will be going to Talleys this year. Everyone who holds it really likes the balance of the rifle. Except for some issues I like it.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice rigs there Bob, add a .270 and we can fill up the arks...grin

Only side thought I might have would be in terms on optics. Thinking I may just go with Weaver bases and a Burris Zee for rings so one can change out a scope on the fast in one needed to. And then on big trips, I'd always have a spare scope set up and ready to roll.

Just a thunk

And if for some odd reason I had to go with a factory set up I'd go with a 700 XCR and have the tube cut to 23". That would come in at a decent weight by my way of thinking.

Too darn many lachubwa 375's out there (fatties)

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 03/31/12.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 8 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.