Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just picked this guy up a couple days ago. I haven't seen much info on them so I figured I would start a running thread on the breakaway tarp.

[Linked Image]
(In this pic I am only using about half the stake out points and none of the guy outs.)

My kit includes the following:

Breakaway Tarp
Tarp Vestibule with stove jack
6 ground hog stakes and 8 ti stakes
10ft of guy line

[Linked Image]
(Kershaw Leek for size reference)

Total Weight in a Kifaru ultralight pullout is 1 pound 15oz.

Initial set up took me a little while to figure out. I thought I could just wing it and set it up tight. Well lets just say that didn't go over too well. After I watched the video on seek outside's website the next set up was a snap.

The tarp pitches really tight. It's very easy to get it pitched right to the ground. Another nice feature I really like is the rear trekking pole mounts outside the tarp. So you only have to maneuver around one pole inside the tarp. This leaves lots of room to sleep side by side if you want to. Two people could share this shelter with enough room for gear. Also there is plenty of room to sit up for cooking or hanging out.

[Linked Image]

The vestibule is a nice addition in not so nice weather. It adds quite a bit of room (15ft) and a place to cook or store gear. With the addition of a stove jack you can add a small wood burning stove. There is also a built in screen door.

[Linked Image]

There is a ton of additional ties out which allow you to pitch the tarp in a variety of ways. It makes guying out the tarp very easy.

Construction is very good. Seams are sewn perfect and the stake outs are reinforced with cordura. The pole mounts are also reinforced with cordura and feature cordage to tie onto a trekking pole or stick.

I am really impressed with this shelter. I will probably leave the vestibule home except for the spring and fall. Additionally I would like to add one of Ed T's Ti stoves to the set up.

I will continue to post on this thread as I use the tarp more. If anyone else has info to add feel free to post away!

[Linked Image]
(Perched next to my Akto)

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you get a chance, would you post a few pics with two sleeping bags or some packs in it, just as a size reference?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Dear God... That's slick.

Thoughts on two adults, gear outside, and a small Kifaru stove? Too tight?

Travis

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If you get a chance, would you post a few pics with two sleeping bags or some packs in it, just as a size reference?

Yea I sure can I will try to get it back up tomorrow.

Originally Posted by deflave
Dear God... That's slick.

Thoughts on two adults, gear outside, and a small Kifaru stove? Too tight?

Travis

It would work no problem. It will be a bit snug though. So it should probably be someone you can be in close quarters with.

If you set it up with your heads facing the door there is still plenty of room for gear inside and a small stove.

The plan was just me so it would be like a palace. Or the wife and I plus dog. I love that it takes up hardly any room in a pack. No reason not to take it along.

When I was messing with it I had the wife, kids and my self in it playing around.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thank you sir.

Appreciate it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I asked Kevin about this a while back. I've already got a BCS, and he told me if it were him he'd just take the BCS for the extra room instead of buying the breakaway as well.

But after seeing the pics I can see a use for this tarp. It would work well for trips where you may or may not spend the night.

I believe it can also be set up as an awning over his other tents. That would make it nice to have in rainy weather for lounging / cooking outside the main tent or for gear storage.

Does anyone have pics of the breakaway in awning mode?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think I need the Breakaway...

I wonder what they charge to install the jack?

Travis

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I am waiting to see final specs for the Little Bug out shelter and pricing. After I see that I will be ordering one of the two with stove jack. They look like they would go along gear with my myog stove built from the directions on hill people gear's site.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What's that bad boy cost?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
One fitty.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You bet Travis. Here are a few pic's of it loaded up. gear for two, guns, bags, pads, packs and boots. It just so happen to be pretty windy (20-30) as well. Just reinforced how easy it is to set up once you know what your doing.

No vestibule on this time.

Originally Posted by RockChucker30

I can see a use for this tarp. It would work well for trips where you may or may not spend the night.

Exactly my thoughts as well. No reason to not have it along.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

SH08
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man, with the Breakaway tarp, BCS and the little bug out shelter soon to come Seek outside has some great choices for solo/two person shelters. My BCS should be here next week, I am excited!

BTW Kenai I don't think I would use one of Ed's roll up stoves in the Breakaway tarp. It would be wayyy too hot and would run you out of there. I should have one of Ed's Mini canister stoves soon for my BCS, I think that would be a much better fit for the BAT(thats what I am going to call it now). I will let you all know how it goes, should be plenty to heat the BCS or the BAT.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yea Kevin has the right idea for sure. I have thought a bunch about the stove. I think you're right on. I would be super hot in side. I will have to check out the canister stove as well.

I'm trying to decide on a 8 or 12 man now smile

SH08
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nice.

Any photos of the rear trekking pole setup?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent some time last September living in a Kifaru Supertarp with an Annex. I like that layout a lot better than anything else on the market, and having a stickburner makes life more tolerable as the years add up wink

I'd buy Kevin's tent without hesitation. I met him face to face. He's for real...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good pics kenaiking.

Thanks,
Travis

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LostArra
Nice.

Any photos of the rear trekking pole setup?

I sure didn't. Next time I take it out I will try to remember.

You bet Travis. It really is a great shelter.

SH08
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Do all the vestibules include a jack? If not, how much does the jack installation add to the cost?

Travis

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Jack is 65 or 45 can't remember. Hope little sibling / cone stove works well in these

Kevin

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
These are very well built shelters and are IMO a great shelter option for solo use- although doable for 2. Made by a great company that is really producing some nice structures.

I used one last fall on a couple weekend bivy hunts. Here is a couple pics shown set up for solo use. I just used sticks for the front and rear set up points. ( as shown in pic- no shortage of sticks where I was hunting). I am not much of a trekking pole type of guy. Not opposed to them- but never have used them really. I have used some cut on site sticks for packing meat on steep grades though.

Shown in pick is a Terra Nova Bivi Tarp Nest inside the shelter. For reference it is 30" wide. Brought it because I thought the 'skeeters would be bad, and I was sure glad to have it, because they were.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wanted to try out this shelter and I liked the shelter quite a bit. But in the end, I made the decision to sell it and keep using my Integral Design George tarp that I have used for 12+ years. The "George Tarp" is real similar is shape and size to the BCS, and I believe was some of the inspiration for it (the BCS).

So, I am in agreement with the statement in this quote:

Originally Posted by RockChucker30
I asked Kevin about this a while back. I've already got a BCS, and he told me if it were him he'd just take the BCS for the extra room instead of buying the breakaway as well.

I thought the same thing before I put my BAT (as Big W called it above) up for sale. I really mulled over the pros and cons of each, and although there are not many cons for each- there are some differences. Not shown in my pics above is a 5 oz. "fly" type sheet (Actually a BA Fly Creek ground sheet) that I was going to use as a front vestibule if the projected thunderstorms came in, and started blowing in sideways on me on my trip. They did not, but I still carried that weight for some added protection and very possibly would have been happy to have had it if they had.

I thought about my future shelter options after the fall trips and thought if I am going to carry an extra 5 oz protection, or even get a S.O. BAT vestibule ( which weighs 5-6 oz) then I am then up to the weight of my ID George tarp. My George tarp weighs in and 21-22 oz. for just the fly sheet weight- about what the BAT and some sort of vestibule weigh.

I set up both in my yard and really compared the ease of set up, the usable space, and other factors. For me the tipi type set up of the George tarp won out. It is about 7' ft tall and very easy to move around in- compared to the BAT. It is a palace for 1 and very comfy for 2 and the weight would be a wash for the 2 structures. Plus I really like the stand up and head room of the tipi type structures. And for me the set up of them is much easier and more intuitive. Although the BAT was very nice structure- I decided to keep what I was use to and more comfortable and secure in. But if I did not have what I had I would buy one of the BAT shelters again.

Also for another reference in size-and another tipi type set up that I like a lot is my Golite 3 SL that weighs in at 24 oz. and has 60 sg. ft. of space. It does not feel quite as roomy as the George Tarp and it weighs 2 oz. more; but I felt that it too has a lot more usable room compared to the BAT.

With all that said, I too am anxiously waiting to see final specs and info for the little Bug out shelter. That little bad boy may just be too tempting to pass up for me. Plus it weighs less and would do away of me needing to carry a separate nest inside my tipi structures when the conditions call for it.

Just my 2 cents and possibly what it is worth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.