Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by lauren

Nope. Leave it alone.

But I would sell it because I expect demographic shifts will gradually soften the collector market. (More collections coming on the market than new collectors getting started.)

I too think this may be the gist of it. How the hell can any ordinary guy get into this stuff?
Why would mr. ordinary want to? Is this stuff going to keep going up?
I did hear a gold bug say one day.."I can't tell you if gold is going up or down tomorrow, but I can tell you in ten years it will be less than it is today"

I've had a lot of thoughts similar to Lauren as far as how the demographics will likely change in the not-too-distant future. A lot of guys who collect vintage guns come from a very different demographic. It used to be more people lived rural vs. in the cities. In the last 50 years that has flipped. While so many of us grew up hunting, fishing, shooting and so on; it's much more common for young people to have no connection to the outdoors. I also know some gun dealers complain that all the younger people are interested in is, "black guns." I've had these thoughts for years yet the best antique and vintage guns keep going up in price. Look at the prices Wes Adams guns fetched recently at the Julia auction. I predict one thing - most of those guys who were buying and bidding on Wes Adams guns won't be buying and bidding 20 years from now. And Lauren is right, some of this stuff is priced so high that it is very difficult for new collectors to break in.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When we start hearing things like, "Guns will never go down in value" that may be time to "pull the trigger".

I sat at home and looked through the Madis book when I was a kid.
It would be pretty tough to get a kid to look at that stuff today.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The whole video game/electronics/Dungeons and Dragons/Magic Cards and on and on has pulled a lot of young people away. I know plenty of young people (in their mid-20's) who are still into this stuff - heavy. Many are well employed - work hard at full time jobs - but evenings and weekends are not spent hunting or fishing or paging through the Madis book. It's funny how a lot of us are looking at partially funding our retirement with our guns. Well, if we all sell at about the same time - who is going to buy confused

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Gunner I agree.....but at $9k hopefully I'm gonna do more with the woman than just look at her... smile

Looks fade over time but if she can't cook and clean at least a little, well she would be gone. Especially if someone else is eager to pay more than she's worth. wink

To carry on the theme of the thread. There was a time I could have bought Rudy Etchens 28Ga Parker, which was an absolutely beautiful shotgun that would have been a queen of the Grouse woods. One season-and maybe one day-and it would have been worth considerably less. She just wasn't worth the price to just sit around and do nothing but look good.

Last edited by battue; 03/30/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cartod
Originally Posted by rifle
What do you mean by shootit? Punch paper at the range or take it hunting...there are a lot of M70 collectors that will pay $$ for it now
If you need something to punch paper,buy cheap... I would not dare let the airlines touch it...
I did not help much..but I say no, leave it alone.
I always said I would not be one of those collectors who wouldn't shoot there guns. However, I also never thought that some of these Winchesters would appreciate in value so much. I have taken this to the range a couple times, but can't pull the trigger.

Personally I would not shoot it, unless of course you were booked on a hunt for buffalo or elephant. If you were, then the 9K the gun is worth is just not a factor. If you are not going to shoot it and don't need the money then keep it as is.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have often quoted Lauren's brother Jed: "You only need one shooter." I realize some of us hunt a variety of game and several shooters might make sense, but if you are going to own a lot of guns, why do they all need to be shooters? I have plenty of vintage/antique lever rifles and I shoot some of them. I tend to not shoot the high condition ones. I could and as they are not unfired, a trip to the range would be undectable (unless something really bad happened). Still, I don't take the nicest ones to the range, because I have plenty of other guns to bring wink It is not important to me that I have shot every gun in my collection.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
guns like this would torment me too much

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok..any decesions yet? OK,go shoot it,I got $5000 waiting...
That takes the pressure off....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm with Bob.

Personally, I'd sell it to one of the pre-'64 collectors who'd pay enough to go on a safari, as several others have suggested. But then I've paid for several hunts (including Africa) by selling rifles.

This is what I would do.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It does the soul good to have a couple of special rifles....whether or not one chooses to shoot them is a different matter.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
+1

smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You guys are much better men than me, i would be proud to honor those great craftsmen from long ago who built that fine rifle, and bust a Buffalo with itsmile

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't know about bustin a buffalo but I think I'd bust a nut if I had it....Just sayin. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you don't shoot it how would you know if it works? grin

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If it's a pre 64 I'm willing to bet you it's going to work.... whistle.....and like a slick willie in a oh never mind.... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How do you know it is unfired?
Would a buyer be convinced.

If it really is unfired I would keep it that way.

Better yet, sell it and buy one that will not go down in value from shooting it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

Better yet, sell it and buy one that will not go down in value from shooting it.

I would take the trigger guard off and look at the little piece of wood between the magazine and the trigger cut out. If it's cracked it's a good bet that it's been shot. I've never taken a P64 in 458 apart but I've taken quite a few P64 375's and have yet to see one that hasn't been cracked there. Note that none of the 375's that I've examined were ever in question for being unfired. The crack doesn't hurt anything but there just wasn't enough wood there to take the recoil of the bigger calibers.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd trip it for as much as you can and go on a brown bear hunt.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shoot.

Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

As I have already said, all I am going on is the original owners word and it's appearance. There is no ring on the bolt face (photo on page 2) and the loading ramp is not scratched up.

If I shoot it, which I am leaning that way, how can it take the value down that much if any, really?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (06hunter59, 160user, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,519
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.