Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Okay, I'd like to get some advice from the experienced hunters and shooters on the 'fire! This will be a pretty long post, but bear with me, because I think (hope!) it�s an interesting question, and your input will be a big help to me�

Here is the scenario: I am in the seminary to become a missionary, and when I am ordained I will go out somewhere in the world. My religious congregation has missions in 40+ countries in the world, and I could be sent to any of them. We make it a point to take missions in the most difficult places (poor, or dangerous, or wild areas, etc.). Although it is more likely that I would go somewhere in the US or Canada, I could also be sent to Tajikistan or Tanzania, and I will definitely move around over the course of my life�that�s really the only certain thing!

When I left the military in order to enter the seminary, I gave away everything I owned. Since then I have still been able to shoot/hunt by borrowing a rifle. When I leave for the missions that won�t be the doable anymore, so I am planning on bringing a rifle (& scope) with me. It�s kind of fun to be thinking about this from scratch, and since I�ll be in the seminary for a little while longer I�ll have time to get it all ready.

The bottom line is that I need to get a rifle (and only one): there are three basic purposes that I would want this rifle for:

1. Big game hunting in the �normal� context: e.g., going out for CPX2-3 game: antelope, deer, elk, black bear, etc.�maybe hogs too�while living in an essentially civilized place. I think that hunting trips are great for building fellowship among the men in a parish or church, and they�re also a means for giving food (meat) to needy members of a community. The food is useful, of course, but not totally necessary for self-preservation (unless things really hit the fan�always a possibility). This would be if I were to remain here in the US or go to Canada or some other first world country. Given how common deer are, however, it would probably be used for deer more than anything else.

2. Sustenance hunting (again, for big game): We have missions in a number of places that are very poor, and our missionaries live like the people around them (i.e., very poorly!). Examples: Russia (from central to far eastern Siberia), Kazakhstan, Kenya, etc. In places like these, it would be a real help to have a means for hunting food, and we really might not eat much meat if we don�t harvest it ourselves. Ditto for the people around me (natives and missionaries alike). Here the most likely animals hunted would be various deer/ibex and hogs.

3. Emergency situations & protection from animals: Some of our missions are in wild places�Greenland, Siberia, Sudan, Tanzania, Papua New Guinea, etc. Travel is often dangerous, and it�s possible to get stuck in a situation where you need a rifle as a survival tool. And there can also be a real threat from animals: big bears (e.g., polar bears in Greenland), black caiman (deep in Guyana) & crocodiles in Kenya/Tanzania/Sudan, wolves (esp. Siberia and central Asia), various other wild animals in Africa, etc. Bear protection would also be relevant, of course, during hunting/hiking trips in Alaska and parts of Canada (for example).

So given the above uses, I�m trying to decide what rifle & scope combo I should get. I know that if I ask for suggestions a lot of people will just say �It depends on what you like�. That is true, but I just want recommendations, so I will rephrase the question:

What rifle and scope would you get in my situation?

1.) what make & model (and stock/finish)?
2.) chambered in what cartridge?
3.) and what scope (make/model/magnification) should go on top of it?

The uses I mentioned above are obviously pretty diverse�I know that, and know it won�t be perfect for everything, but something is always better than nothing!

To forestall one question: it has to be just one rifle�I couldn�t have more than that.

And to forestall a second obvious question: it is something that I should decide on relatively soon as opposed to waiting until I see where my first assignment is. Why? First, because I probably won�t know where I�m going until right before (or after) my ordination, and by then I will have many other concerns and won�t have the time for tweaking a rifle, ensuring its accuracy & reliability, etc. Also, my first assignment won�t determine my subsequent assignments, and so even in two years I won�t know my long term needs. Just because I go to a given place doesn�t mean I�ll stay there forever, or even for that long�e.g., I could go to Minnesota for two years, and then move to Alaska, and then go to Ukraine and then Kenya. Totally possible.

Some considerations:

Budget: I�d want this to last my lifetime under difficult conditions, and I know that you get what you pay for. But money is very much an object, so the more affordable the better. So no custom rifles and nothing too high-end, unless it can be gotten used at a reasonable price.

This will not be my baby, it will be my mule! A valuable tool. I don�t care about how it looks, as long as it functions well. In fact, I might even �uglify� it in some way so that it�s less attractive to thieves. Minimal maintenance is a good thing, too.

� While I want the gun overall to be good quality, I don�t mind if there is some fine-tuning that I have to do in the next 2 years�e.g., smoothing the bolt, bedding the action, polishing trigger surfaces� Once I�m off, though, I have no idea if I�ll have access to gunsmithing tools or a good gunsmith.

� Ideally, the ammo should be easily available anywhere in the world. I don�t know if I�d be able to do any reloading, so let�s presume not. Given the variety of uses, it should be chambered in something with a wide range of bullet weights even of factory ammo.

� The gun itself should be reasonably easy to get replacement or aftermarket parts for, so nothing too exotic or antique.

� Accuracy is great (who doesn�t want it?) but it won�t be a paper puncher (although that is fun sometimes!). I care most about total reliability and durability.

� It should definitely have iron sights: if not factory installed, then aftermarket.

� It should not look at all �military��I�m a missionary, and wouldn�t ever want people to understand the purpose of said hunting rifle as anything other than killing animals! That�s especially an issue in parts of Latin America and Africa. So no scout rifles with 10 round magazines, much less AR-type rifles, etc.

Both rifle and scope should ideally have a great warrantee and/or customer service. Without money, and without a warrantee, broken things stay broken! (Trust me, I know!)

� The scope should be really tough. Even a lifetime warrantee is hard to take advantage of when you live in Nuuk or the outskirts of Khabarovsk.

� I suppose in an ideal world it would be a takedown rifle so as to be less conspicuous. I don�t consider it essential, but it would be a nice-to-have, all things being equal. Even if it's not a takedown rifle, it would be good if it could be taken down pretty easily.

So what are your recommendations? Or thoughts? I have some pretty good ideas (I think, at least!), but I would really appreciate any input�there are many people here on the �fire with much more firearms and hunting experience than I have, and who have traveled with firearms much more than I have. If your suggestions match with what I�ve been thinking I�ll feel confirmed, but if not, then I�ll rethink! And maybe someone has a great idea that I�ve never even considered�

Even if you have some ideas for add-on items, upgrades, or aftermarket parts that would help improve a rifle/scope in this context I�d be interested in hearing about them.

Whew! That was long�sorry. smile

Last edited by dclayton; 04/02/12.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds to me like you just described an older commercial FN mauser chambered for the 30-06!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Winchester M70 Stainless Featherweight in a McMillan Synthetic stock. Caliber, 30-06 Springfield. Period.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rj308
Winchester M70 Stainless Featherweight in a McMillan Synthetic stock. Caliber, 30-06 Springfield. Period.

...I'd get the McMillan in an Edge fill.

or go with a Kimber Montana.

Either would need the iron sights added...and if at all possible I'd get it cerakoted.

For the scope I'd go with a Leupold 4x, 6x, 2-7, 1.75-6, or 2.5-8.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you bring a rifle with you to all of those places? And would sustenance hunting be legal for you? Just curious.

An 84L / 70 / 700 / 77 (take your pic) SS .30-06 seems like the logical choice.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Definitely a .30/06 - both for versatility and ammo availability (and, don't forget, ammo cost).
I don't think you could find anything more durable than a Ruger M77 in stainless - either a Hawkeye or a MK II.
Also, Ruger's customer service is first-class.

For a scope (on a budget), think "Leupold", possibly a used Vari-X II, or a fixed power 4x. Even a used Leupold is covered by their lifetime-of-the-scope warranty.

God Bless.
Jeff

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ruger M77 in .30-06. Preferably stainless, although blue/walnut would look more "civilian."

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
This is what you want, a pre-'64 Winchester model 70 in .30-06. You don't need a warranty, just ammo and a cleaning kit.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are up for a wood/blue rifle, you might want to consider a Ruger Hawkeye African in 9.3x62. Ammo availability in Europe, Asia and Africa is right up there with the '06 and the cartridge is a good "meat getter". It comes with a set of useable iron sights. If you don't want to mess with an aftermarket stock, just make sure the factory stock is completely sealed inside the action/barrel channel and under the recoil pad. I'd be inclined to go with a Leupold FX-II 4X scope.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For cartridge, 30-06 seems a pretty obvious choice. The only caveat might be regarding some places having a rule / law against 'military' cartridges. So that is something that might require some research, and possibly lean towards a cartridge that has never been military, e.g. 270 Win or 280 Rem. Relying on factory ammo, attainable in various parts of the world that would IMHO narrow it down to a top few cartridges (e.g. 270 Win would be very much favoured over 280 Rem in that scenario). I would be looking at SS / Synth bolt-action from of the larger companies.

Last edited by deadkenny; 04/02/12.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think that 30/06 is the obvious choice, but for the reasons Kenny mentioned above, maybe a 300 Win Mag is preferrable? I know it's had a military application, but not as much as 30/06.

Another obvious consideration you've thought of is ammo, to be able to find something in one of the the common Lee Loader calibers wound be nice. Then you could reload with minimal equipment in case factory loads are hard to come by.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Any CRF rifle with a stainless finish and factory iron sights, chambered in the 338 Winchester Magnum.
With two nice lower powered variable scopes in QD rings, and a case of Federal Premium ammo with the 250 gn Nosler Partition.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wow, thanks for all the input! So far the consensus seems to be .30-06, which was the basic way I was inclined (although I have also thought about the .300 Win Mag). The 9.3x62 is an interesting suggestion--does anyone know how easy it is to get outside the US? (I know it's not really easy to find here...)

Deadkenny, thanks for the important caveat re. the .30-06: what countries don't allow the .30-06 is something I'll have to dig into a bit more--I have never traveled with a rifle to another continent (at least, outside of the military!), and so don't know those laws. Does anyone know of anyplace where they're listed?

Bluedreaux, your question regarding where I could hunt is a valid one: I'm sure that it varies from place to place, but I'll be digging into it more...

Re: the scope question--I know that fixed power scopes tend to last better over the long term, and I really like them. Still, I've never had problems with Leupold variables, perhaps I'm just not old enough (or maybe shot enough) to have had them die on me. My gut is to go with a 2-7, given the great uncertainty about the places/circumstances where I'd be hunting. Leupy has a great warranty. Although I'm also impressed by Minox's, I'd have to buy one new for it to cover me, I believe...

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Stainless Ruger 77 in 30-06. The old boatpaddle stock would be the ultimate in durable, or you could switch it out for a laminated stock for a different look. It would need aftermarket fixed sights.

[Linked Image]

I might put a 6x-36mm Leupold with ballistic dots on it. while variables are quite durable, nothing matches a fixed power for simplicity.

9.3x62 is more common elsewhere than here, but will never be as easy to find as 30-06.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Though I've never been there to verify, it is said parts for a Mauser 98 can be had Anywhere. Based on that premise I would opt for one of the commercial mausers (Interarms, Daly, Rem 798). Would have it slicked up, Cerakoted/exterior, some sort of slick coating/interior, Ultra Bore Coat in the barrel, and put in a durable synthetic stock like the B&C Medalist. Would probably get away from the enclosed trigger assy with side safety in preference for a military open type with either a 2 position wing safety or Bueler. 30-06 would be an available do-all cartridge. From what I've read here and in the likes of Rifle Magazine and Handloader Magazine the 9.3x62 could very well be a wise choice if your need is primarily for power up close. Apparently cartridges for the 9.3 are more available in the world outside the U.S.A.

Open sights should be installed and sighted to a somewhat standard load. For a scope mount possibly the Talley QRs. And for the scope itself I defer to others more knowledgable in optics for rough duty. FAWWYP

Last edited by shootem; 04/02/12.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
utah708 just nailed the perfect rifle and stock at a reasonable price, also excellent ring set up. Add sights as suggested when you get a chance and worry about something other than a firearm.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Re action: it seems the consensus is definitely CRF: Win 70, Ruger 77, FN Mauser 98, Kimber 84/Montana.

Shootem, your point about 98 parts is well-taken, and it's crossed my mind as well. Does anyone have any first-hand experience about the worldwide availability (or non-availability) or parts for the Mauser 98 or the other CRFs mentioned here? We're blessed here in the US to have everything readily available, but that isn't true everywhere! The Ruger 77 and Mauser 98s (usually) have the advantage of being a bit less expensive, but I guess they're all pretty close (minus Kimber), especially if I buy used. They're all great rifles, and so for me the parts availability is key. Ditto customer support.

Last edited by dclayton; 04/02/12.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I love bolts, but a single shot esp a switch barrel like an Encore could give you multiple calibers and be more packable. Nothing much more simple mechanically and you could bring a few spare parts. You could likely talk to TC and explain what you're doing and they could tell you the most frequently replaced parts so that you could have a repair kit.

In addition to a 30/06 or 300 Win Mag etc, you could also get a barrel in whatever the most common national caliber is as a backup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Utah708. You can get a brand new Ruger Hawkeye All-Weather in 30-06 for less than $650 if your state robs your sales. Ditch the size 5 scope ring for a size 3 from Ruger and mount up a low to mid-range variable Leupold. VX3 2.5-8x36 is a favorite of mine. Or, go simpler with FX2 4x33 or 6x36.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I'm a Win. fan thru & thru. I'd go with an Extreme Weather and the chambering would be in .30-06. Although, I'm really a .270 fan. '06 ammo can be found virtually anywhere.
As to a scope, again, I'm biased and that's towards Leupold. In all of my years of hunting Ak., I've never seen the need for a variable larger than 2-7x so that would be my choice.
I'd just put a 2-7x Leupold on it & go forth. Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,353
Posts18,487,900
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.