Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I am going to hunt bear with a friend of mine this year.This is my first bear(black) hunt and my first hunt that I have ever packed in for.He says that I need a good pack(just for supplys not game)we will get the game out by 4 wheelers,What should I bring for supplys?We will be staying for 3 days.I know to bring a first aid kit and survival gear,any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

GB1

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swampfox,<P>Not much to go on, but I'll try...<P>Obviously a tent for starters. A small one would work. If you share a tent, then split up the load (one guy carry's the tent, the other the rainfly, poles, and stakes.) Your sleeping bag (inside a drybag) and pad. For only 3 days, you shouldn't need extra cloths, other than socks. Raingear. Skinning knives and salt. Copy of the regulations. A headlamp with fresh batteries, and maybe spares. Extra boot laces. A water filter and a Nalgene water bottle (premark the cup levels on the bottle with a magic marker for mixing up food.) Food, like Top Ramen noodles, beef jerky, hard candy, GORP, etc. A backpacker stove to boil water. If you choose a white gas stove, one fuel bottle will be plenty. A pot (which hopefully will hold the stove inside it) with lid and handle. Steal a plastic spatula from the wife and cut off most the handle. A spoon and fork, maybe even cheap plastic ones. Of course you'll already have a knife. [Linked Image] A small notepad and pencil. Camera. Small saw or hatchet for getting firewood.<P>Well, that's what comes to mind, I'm sure there's room for improvement...<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BW pretty well has it looks like to me. You can load yourself like a pack mule if you aren't careful but you probably know that. One little thing I would add on a three day stay is some baby wipes in a baggie and a fresh set of skivies. Wipe down and put on fresh before you turn in and you will be amazed how much better you sleep. Rinse out you other set and let them dry for a change again.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
...bug lotion, camera batteries, film, toilet paper, tooth ache medicine, chewable pepto tabs, MRE's are great, so are cup of noodle soups, GPS or compass (or both!), frying pan....<P>

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
We will be packing in in about a month or two to set up a rough camp,get firewood,scout and trout fish.this place is a long way out so my friend wants to leave some things there on this trip for or next trip(pots,pans,fuel sticks,ropes-you know alot of the heavy stuff)I have my own tent and so does he.what do you guys think about packing in water a couple of weeks before the hunt?what do I need salt for?what is a good pack for this around 100 bucks.Like I said this is my first pack trip.

IC B2

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike,<P>Thanks for remembering the toilet paper! I forgot that one. [Linked Image]<P>Boggy,<P>Extra skivvy's are also a good thing. Especially if ya get the runs! [Linked Image] I try and stay away from the greasy sausages that most guys like to bring to the woods. Since I don't eat that stuff normally, it doesn't set well in my stomach (or farther south!)<P>Swampfox,<P>The salt is for the bear hide. After ya skin it, and flesh it, you salt it to help dry it out and preserve it. I'm no expert, but I've been told to salt it the first night, then the next day remove all that salt and replace it with new salt. I always take the big boxes of table salt you find at the grocery store. Be a good thing to pack in early, if you can keep it dry.<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
swamp fox,<BR> I like to bring my cell phone with me,and a little firstaid kit,nothing to fancy but maybe an ace bandage,gauze,medical tape,triple anti-biotic,tweezer,fingernailclippers,,always bring a ZIPPO lighter,some duct tape always seems to come in handy also,,BEARHUNTER

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
swampfox:<P>LIGHTWEIGHT, LIGHTWEIGHT, LIGHTWEIGHT<P>There's an equipment list for backacking on my web page.<BR><A HREF="http://members.aol.com/keenkc/page7/CampKC.html" TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/keenkc/page7/CampKC.html</A><P>Try to keep the weight of your backpack down to 40 pounds or less.<P>Use a combination of freeze dried entres and dehydrated foods. Mountain House makes the least offensive freeze dried foods. Avoid whole foods. It's too heavy.<P>IMHO the Gregory "Alaska" large men's backpack is the best value currently on the market. You can mail order one from Campmor.<P>Did I mention that you wnat to keep the weight of your pack down?<P>After you have packed everything into your pack carry it around thje block a few times. Then take everything out one piece at a time and ask yourself if you really need to carry that for several miles.<P>BTW go lightweight.<P>KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (10gaugemag, AdventureBound, 300_savage, AB2506, 14 invisible), 4,148 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,808
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.