Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
oldbore Offline OP
OP Offline
O

So I am on my 2nd 416 ruger which was produced in 2011 and am still having trouble with the feeding, especially the first round with a loaded mag which goes too far left and gets caught on the tip of the fat hornady dgx bullet just by a little. going into the chamber, its as if the feed rails arent releasing it soon enough?? I sent my first 416 back to ruger and they "fixed" it but still did the same so I traded it off and now I bought another one and do not really want to send it back to ruger as my experience with my first one didnt change..Now my question is if I took some emery cloth to the feed rails would this help or could I end up ruining it, what grade should I use, also the brass gets scratched horrible...Will just shooting it break it in or what? I love the rifle but want it to feed factory ammo..sorry to be long winded. thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the 'fire.

I suspect a bit of tweeking by a 'smith that knows what he is doing with a CRF rifle will fix it. I do not recommend trying to fix it yourself by modifying the lips. You could easily end up ruining the gun, and don't ask me how I know. eek

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Welcome to the 'fire.

I suspect a bit of tweeking by a 'smith that knows what he is doing with a CRF rifle will fix it. I do not recommend trying to fix it yourself by modifying the lips. You could easily end up ruining the gun, and don't ask me how I know. eek
What he said.. In spades..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
heard of these rifles have an occasionaly problem like that....could be the feed ramp for that round bullet, have you tried a semi spitzer? Could very well be a timing issue.....I've practiced on my VZ24 9.3x62 and got it to feed pretty good. As the 2 previous posters have mentioned taking any amount of metal in excess will be a sad affair. Recommendation is to locate a renown and proving knowledgable smith to do the required assesment and work. You will be ahead of the game then and have your big bore rocking the way you want it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You didn't learn the first time laugh I have sent three pistols and two rifles back to Ruger for "fixing". The handgun department has been great to work with and really took care of me. The rifle department left me cold. I got the rifles back (7mm mag and .44 mag) They still didn't shoot worth two short hoots. When I called Ruger (several times), I got lip service and was told the rifles where "up to spec", whatever that means. If you call 5" 100 yard groups "up to spec", then yes, they met their criteria with the 7mm mag. The .44 wouldn't shoot a 14" group at 100 yards (this is no joke). They "fixed" it and it will now shoot a 4" group at 25 yards. That just doesn't work for me. I sold them both and have no regrets laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
And people here talk about playing Kimber roulette...

4103, I plan on sending mine to Penrod Precison shortly (when he has some room for it) and hope to get it back by mid-summer. I'll let you know how that works out once I get it back.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
4103 one thing I have learned the hard way is that the factory is NOT the place to send a rifle to be fixed....especially for function.

They seem to be hardwired for manufacturing things to s certain standard;but not for fixing them if refinement and tweaking are required.

Find a good smith who understands feeding/function and send the rifle to the smith.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
4103 I agree with everyone that making metal grow back in place can be damn expensive but slicking things up a little might not hurt before you send it off. I have seen quite a few rifles of various manufactures just killing brass from rough lips on the bottom side of the feed rails.

Take a q-tip and drag it all over the place. If you have roughness that is causing the issue that should be pretty easy to spot and you can go from there.

Last edited by varmintsinc; 04/04/12. Reason: spelling and attempts at cohesive thoughts

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 14 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.