Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone do solo backpack hunts? For instance, let's say 5 miles back for 4 days. Or would most consider this foolhardy or unsafe? (My wife for one) Opinions?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Go for it. I'd done solo alot. Just remember that all the gear goes in and out on your back. No splitting up the tent and shared gear with your buddy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hmm, it's fun for sure, but it's not for everyone. I've done a few, most recently last Sept in Colorado on a DIY public land 7 day archery elk hunt. After a solo non-stop (except for gas) 18 hour road trip from Houston to Crawford, CO I was already shot before I even strapped my pack on for the LONG hike in. It's tough calling rutting bulls solo, they lock in on your poz pretty easily, and then if you try to change your poz too late your usually busted. Passed on a 350+" 6X6 three times in the same morning because I would have NEVER gotten him out of the hole I chased him down into before the meat went bad... 8 miles in, that's 8 TOUGH miles... during one calling stand I had a juvenile black bear come in and pop out of the alders at about 6 feet from me. Lesson learned, carry extra underwear! Plan your hunt around the fact that you will be alone, if you get an animal down or get hurt, you are on your own. And as the poster above said, you have to carry 100% of the weight of your camp by yourself. Take it slow your first time and be smart about your itinerary. One last thing, after about 3 days I usually start talking to myself, or is that the voice in my head?

God Bless America!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd do it for deer. 5 miles with deer and camp is hard work. You'll be cussing yourself before its over. I'd do it, I've cussed me before. smile

Elk .. probably not. I don't want any part of trying to lug an elk 5 miles alone. That's 10 miles per round trip, times 5. I don't think that fits in 4 days even if you tag out the first day.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bring at least one friend, if you drop an elk you'll need help.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
All the time....if you never have before I would try some shorter weekend trips. It is mentally challenging the first few times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thats all I do is solo hunts. Is it very safe? Probably not but what is? I have pretty much givin up on finding a partner to hunt with. With Elk it would be best to have someone along. You would really like to have someone along if your hunting early season in warm weather. Late season not much of a worry to get the meat out fast, that is if you have the time to make a couple trips. You can do anything if you have the drive and determination to get it done.

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had a partner who had to back out today because of family concerns. I don't blame him, legit concerns. But that leaves me by my lonesome.
My plan WAS an Idaho mule deer hunt. Once he agreed to go, we've worked out details, plans, even picked and area, researched, talked to FS people out there, some locals, etc., and the prospect of sharing some weight, ESPECIALLY packing out an animal should we find success has become very attractive.
Now I'm kinda bummed and second guessing whether I should go on or not.
I know full well that mentally and physically it would be demanding. I have no doubts I could pull it off...barring any "circumstances" that could arise.
Needless to say, my wife isn't thrilled about me backpacking in for 4 days solo, and I must admit, I'm questioning myself as to the wisdom of doing that.
Just wanted some opinions from the backpacking crowd. Keep em coming.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go for it... It's really not as dangerous as some make it out to believe.. Rent a Sat phone for the trip to keep yer wife at ease...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey Snubbie don't sweat it life happens. I'm with MuleyFan, go for it! Just be smart, and the new SPOT II is a godsend for keeping worrisome loved ones informed of your safety.

God Bless America!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are more likely to die driving to your hunting area then going out hunting solo. I have done 5 day backpack and hunting trips by myself. I check in with the family using a Spot, a sat phone like Muley mentioned would be even better.

I really don't want to say this because it might scare you off but I have almost died twice in the backcountry. With that said I am still alive! It would of been from something I love doing though, thats ok with me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MuleyFan
Go for it... It's really not as dangerous as some make it out to believe.. Rent a Sat phone for the trip to keep yer wife at ease...

Good advice.

Try a few solo backpacking trips before you go. It can get boring and lonely being all by yourself for a week. Some guys like it some guys can't handle it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have backpack hunted solo many times, for deer, goats, sheep, caribou, though only a few times solo for four days or more. No question that a (good) partner makes for a better hunt, and safer. Usually I go solo for two or three days. Packed one deer solo for 7-8 miles, steep uphill for half a mile, then mostly downhill on a trail. Have done several deer 2-5 miles solo backpacking, etc.

If you have not gone solo, it would be good to do a test run between now and deer season. Not having a partner does make a diference in gear choices.

Due partly to my age, I'm getting away from solo trips, mostly for the sake of my family. So for consistency wink I recommend trying to find a good partner (a bad one is worse than no partner) and then go for it solo if the right combo doesn't jell!

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No Big W, that doesn't scare me off. I realize I'm more likely to die driving to work than out in the woods. I don't do stupid stuff when out by myself. Most of my time outdoors has been spent by myself. I'm not the type to throw caution to the wind and go after a deer at all cost and get myself into a bad situation. I have some life experience and some common sense. I'm also not afraid of the dark or afraid out in the woods. (Those sasquatches do kinda worry me though when I think about them.wink)

I've thought about the SPOT. I had not thought of the Sat phone. Either may be a good option. I've looked at the SPOTs before. Not sure as to the cost of the monthly subscription.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh, and thanks for the encouragement.

I'd like to hear more stories of your solo backpack hunts.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Spot service is about $100 a year. Might have gone up since the last time I renewed mine, I pay for two years at a time.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big_W
I think Spot service is about $100 a year. Might have gone up since the last time I renewed mine, I pay for two years at a time.

That's exactly right, $100/yr and the device is like $150 I think. The new SPOT II is very reliable so don't believe everything you read in the reviews. So long as you have an unobstructed view and a fairly clear sky you'll be good to go.

God Bless America!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Do it if you're adept at backpacking. I'd rent a sat phone over the spot unless you'd want it for use in your home state too. Solution to having to carry more weight...do back squats. Are you out there Vek? smile

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Delorme InReach allows two way text messaging when paired with an Android phone or one of the Delorme GPS units.

Stand alone it still functions exactly like the SPOT.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Agreed with all comments made. Since my brother/partner is only available for our September elk hunt, I do a 3-4 day solo late season archery hunt for Idaho Mule Deer each November. I find it some of the best thinking time I have all year. Awesome time with God and nature.

Know your limitations. I have packed elk 6 miles solo, but that is probably my outer limits with only two days to pack out, so I never hunt further out than that unless I have more than 2 days remaining in the hunt and my energy level remains strong.

You need to know how to care for yourself and trust your good decision making. Two heads can be better than one. My brother is a good woodsman, but I can remember an elk hunt in a snow storm when we got a bit wet and the wind picked up. I noticed he was developing early signs of hypothermia and he didn't realize he was losing his edge. I choose to believe that on his own he would have figured it out before it was too late, but I had to force him to sit down and build a fire for him to dry up and warm up. Got me spooked that day and certainly taught me a lesson to care for your body before you lose your mental capacity.

Another way to tether without the hassle and keep the home happy is a Personal Locator Beacon. That way you are not always sweating the predetermined deadline for the daily check-in, but your wife knows you have the lifeline if needed. They are more expensive upfront, but have no dues and if reviews are accurate, have better reliability (don't know first hand as I have never had to push the button).

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 16penny, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.