Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mammoth Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi All: I have been hunting everyday since season opened May 1st. Every morning at 5AM I have a gobbler that is about 50-75 yards from me...EVERY MORNING...and He and I call back and forth from 5AM till 7:30 AM when he quits on me.
<br> He NEVER shows himself, and never leaves the spot he is in.
<br> I cannot sneak-up on him, as ground between us is too dry (like cornflakes)...
<br> WHAT DO I DO?
<br> I have a box call (H S Strutt)...I purr...I cluck...I yelp...he ALWAYS answers and sometimes cuts me off in the middle of one of my calls. I use both sides of the box, to vary the pitch...I have a gobbler shaker call also...shook that at him once or twice, and he answers that too. I coughed one morning he answered...a crow flys overhead and caws...he answers. What a LOUD mouth this bird is.
<br> He is close and sounds good and loud and agressive...but dang, he will NOT budge.
<br> Tomorrow will be morning number SIX and he WILL be there, and I will call him, and he WILL answer, and around and around we will go again...
<br> I have one Jake decoy that I have tried...some mornings I put it out...tried without it too...matters not.
<br> Have had several hens come in...but not that Tom...he stays in that spot and answers..but don't budge.
<br> This morning, I had a coyote about 8 feet or so from me...staring at me...and then he walked away. I waited about 10 minutes and called for TOM, and he answered...and we continued our "dance" till 7:30AM.
<br> This is definetly a Turkey and NOT another hunter...so please don't take this in that direction. I am positive about this.
<br> So...what do I do...before I go completely Insane?
<br> Thanks all; Jake

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
2 THINGS. if you keep calling to a turkey in a tree he will stay up in the tree and wait for you to come to him. if there are hens with this turkey he will not come to you anyway. if you can catch him by himself call to him once or twice and that's all. if you keep calling to him he will keep waiting on you to come to him. if you stay quiet after he calls after a while he will come towards you. and every time you call to him from then on he will stop where he is and strut and display and wait on you some more. once he answers your call you shouldn't have to call anymore. he will find you. it's hard not to answer every call he makes but you are actually holding him up when you do. and if you do call to him after a while do it QUIET. MAYBE JUST A PURR OR 2. again if he is with hens he will answer but more than likely he isn't coming. if you can sit there until the afternoon he may come back and in a more receptive mood. i said this before and it is still true, you will shoot more turkeys at noon than you will early in the morning. so if you haven't tried it yet go out there at ten a.m. and try it then. he may just be easy as cake about then. luck!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm extremely jealous[Linked Image][Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try setting up in a slightly different location. Do you have any idea where he is going when he leaves his strutting area? Setting up somewhere along that path would be good. Try calling much less. The first time he answers you shut up. Play hard to get. That bird wants you to come to him. Also try a call with a different pitch than the one you have been using. Make him think there is a new hen in town.
<br>
<br>Add some hen decoys to your set. I never use a jake decoy by it's self. ( We are not calling gay turkeys ) Seeing a jake with hens is what makes the boss gobbler mad.
<br>
<br> The turkey is winning the game you are now playing, time to change the game plan. Do something drasticaly different. Good luck. When you do get him you'll feel great.

Last edited by prairie dog shooter; 05/06/02.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
mammouth,
<br>
<br>Sounds to me that your bird may in what is referred to as "strut zone". If you know where the bird is roosting, try to get between his roost and his strut area. Call very soft after he hits the turf and don't overdo it. If you could get your hands on a fighting purr call that may be just the ticket in this situation.
<br>He does not want any other toms in his strut zone. It will really make him fighting mad. Been there, done that. Whatever you do don't give up on him just yet. This bird could teach you some valuable tricks that will come in handy later on. You may want to try him later in the day if your state allows all day hunting. Good luck and God bless.
<br>
<br>Qtip
<br>
<br>Soli deo gloria

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
IC B2

mammoth Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
PDS and Qtip: Thank you for the very good advice! I actually took today off to give this Tom a break from me! LOL! Also, I am TIRED!
<br> I bought a HS Strutt Black Widow, and will throw that at him tomorrow morning. Can't hunt past noon here in NY...so have the morning.
<br> I also bought 2 hen deke's...will put them out with that Jake. See what happens.
<br> I do know where his tree is. It is a TALL pine and I ended up under it Monday morning on my way in. I was coming in from a dfferent direction, and did not realize I would end up right under him. Spooked him, and he flew off FAST. Hope he is back now that I gave a day off!
<br> I will post results when I get any, and IF I get any...
<br> Hopefully the hen deke's and the new call will add something fresh to the hunt and get me results!
<br> THANK YOU again...very best regards; Jake

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,070
Posts18,501,493
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.