Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I know a lot of guys say they need pants with cargo pockets. However, I've always been afraid of losing whatever I put in there as most of them don't have zippered pockets. For you guys that use cargo pockets a lot, what do you typically put in them?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stay afraid. I don't buy them, won't wear the one pair I have.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I put bandannas or glove liners in there. I like having them handy. I'll put other odds and ends in there to. Nothing expensive though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pair, I bought them cheap from Wal-Mart so I am not afraid to tear them, get the dirty, and so on.

I keep my tag, four extra rounds, and a pad/pen in my right cargo pocket. In my left pocket I keep a lighter, compass, and odds and ends. I figure if I drop my pack somewhere I have the basic stuff on me all the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lifting the knee higher than the waist is a loss waiting to happen (ask me how I know). That means- no sitting on the ground.

(Not to mention, I'm not accustomed to the feeling of having bulk and weight on the thigh. It just feels weird.)

I'm a jeans guy.

Last edited by macrabbit; 04/05/12.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I plan on packing mine full with ammo and other dense items on my flyout for dall sheep this fall. Mine are velcroed at each corner and i usually put a neck gaiter or hat in them while hiking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Velcro sounds good. A doggone full zipper sounds even better, to me.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I don't do cargo pants. I'd tear the pants and or pockets so fast.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I use mostly military fatigues in various colors to hunt in. I keep gloves, face mask, a little toilet paper for emergencies, compass, turkey calls, etc. They have buttons, never lost anything.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A load banging on the side of my leg drives me nuts (a very short drive I might add).
I have a pair of zip off leg pants that my wife got for me several years ago. The cargo pockets on those are a nightmare & are about to disappear entirely. They made them as double pockets, with inner and outer compartments. Then they decided to divide each one top to bottom. They did all this with velcro. The result is a 1.5" thick wad of velco down the middle of each. You can't get them open because of all the velco and you can't get anything in or out of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
usually a bandana and my liner gloves when i'm wearing glomittens.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I don't care for bulk in my cargo pockets even though I can't hunt without them. I usually just have my topo for quick access. What can I say, I'm a slow technology adopter. I have a gps, but it's an old, non-mapping magellan that let's me know where my tent is.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Generally the only thing that I'll put in them is folded up paper towel and/or a bandana or face mask. I hate having stuff bulging on the sides of my legs.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I avoid them like the plague.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just use cargo pockets for a quick place to put things. Like my gloves if I have to take a piss or something. Only things I actually carry in them are my sweat rag and a can of chew.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of these.

with EDC stuff...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
If you're carrying anything with any kind of weight to it, having the pockets smack against your legs and chafe the hell out of you gets old fast...

That being said, cargo pockets are great for the "layering" concept. Usually I'll carry a touque (stocking-cap for you Yanks) and gloves in the pockets, and swap them on/off depending on temperature/distance hiked; touque gets swapped with a ball cap. Spare socks and a topo map go in the other one. These soft items don't chafe you to bits, and you can easily swap the gear on or off/look at your map without having to stop.

Last edited by hansol; 04/06/12.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Hoochie Mama elk call. I operate it right in the pocket of my buttoned up Microtex pants or zippered KUIU Attack pants cargo pockets. Muffles the sound and works great.

Sometimes gloves go in as well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have been wearing pants with cargo pockets since the 60's so I am not sure how good they are compared to other methods. They avoid digging in my other pockets for frequent use things and dragging more important stuff out and losing it. Also, They are good for getting to stuff when sitting a stand with minimum movement.

I keep the following in them; Bandanna, TP-Paper Towels, Balaclava, Gloves, Map, Headlamp,etc. Soft stuff mostly.

I tend to use thin sandwich baggies to keep the stuff in. It doesn't seem to rub as much and is quieter. Freezer bags are way too stiff and soud like potatoe chips are in there.

I use BDU's and those pockets keep things in pretty well. I do stitch down the rear of the pocket like the front to keep things in better.

Most of the civilian stuff I have to add buttons to and sew down the edges of the flaps like a BDU pocket.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love cargo pockets. Never lost anything out of 'em(knock on wood) They're great for map and compass. Sometimes I'll drop a water bottle or even a little snubbie. 38 in there. The weight never much bothers me. I just bought some lightweight tactical pants for hiking because of the pockets.

I wish you could find some affordable wool pants with cargo pockets.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (anothergun, Algotguns, 426crown, arky65, 35, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 17,012 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,202
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.