Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hey guys, I've been offered a job in Greenville TX, but dont know anything about the area. Does anyone know anything about hunting in that area? Not looking for any honeyholes, just soome good info on what's around there as far as species, populations, etc.

Thanks-Tim

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drove through it in February grin on my way further south east. Good luck in your new position!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From everything I've heard and read, hunting in Texas is for the wealthy, like in Europe. It's stupid that there is so much land down there and people can't hunt on it without paying a huge fee. I will never hunt there. I had a job offer there too but turned it down, partly because of the hunting (or lack thereof).

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I live in the Greenville area. Hunting in the near vicinity consist of deer, squirrel, dove, duck, hogs, and varmints. There is public hunting just to the north and more southeast, over 1 million acres of public hunting land in Texas. With that said the best hunting is on private property. Most people who don't own property lease hunting rights. It can be expensive depending where in Texas you want to hunt. Also tons of game ranches if you like. For anybody who thinks Texas is anything like Europe then they must of never spent any time here. I don't know of anybody you wishes to hunt that doesn't. Your best bet is networking at work with like minded people. Unlike some northern states we have jobs here.

Ricky
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Touche.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have friends and relatives in Texas. Can hunt there whenever I like. And they are welcome here whenever they want to come. Some of those friends I even met here wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys! My main concern is the waterfowl hunting, I figured there would be decent deer and hog hunting. Nice to know there are turkey too! Should be finding out for sure in the next week or 2 then I go down for an interview. Wish me luck lol

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Good luck, is this L3 by chance?

Ricky
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'd be within 3 hours of a lot of NF land and a bit further to the densest population of Whitetails on Earth.

It ain't as expensive as some make it out to be. Especially those who've never done it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They used to have a sign that said welcome to Greenville the blackest land and whitest people. It is a small town northeast of Dallas, and you will basically have the same opportunities as people of Dallas. Hill country deer north of Austin, a very dense population of small deer. Or east Texas a small population of larger deer, have seen some nice ones from a hunting club near Livingston.

great trophy deer hunting in the brush country south of San Antonio.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of course, check out the Texas Hunting Forum for additional information as well.

Waterfowling is fine. There are ton of lakes another hour and a half east and its public.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
It's stupid that there is so much land down there and people can't hunt on it without paying a huge fee. I will never hunt there. I had a job offer there too but turned it down

We can pay the huge fees because we have jobs...

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RKrodle
Good luck, is this L3 by chance?

Yes. I'm Active Duty but have been working on the jets for 15 years here at Offutt, so I figure I'll do the same thing but down there.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Keep the info coming!! Is there a website or some place I can go to see the public land around the area?

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm about 10 mins. from there. I get in there every once in a while to service some of their CNC machines. Good Luck, and thanks for your service.

Last edited by RKrodle; 04/03/12.

Ricky
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scopolamine
Of course, check out the Texas Hunting Forum for additional information as well.

THF quite possibly has the densest population of idiots on the Innernets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Scopolamine

THF quite possibly has the densest population of idiots on the Innernets.

Do you mean the population is particularly dense, as far number of idiots? Or is it that the idiots themselves are more dense than the average batch of idiots? Perhaps both?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, Yes & Yes

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm

Thanks!! Doesnt look like there is much around me, but its a start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,133
Posts18,483,919
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.