Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
After 14 long weeks, my latest hunting rig finally arrived. I wanted something a little different than my heavy as hell, big scoped, long barreled 6.5x284. Which is great for certain situations, but in tight woods or slipping around, it gets old.

CZ 550 FS
6.5x55
Soon to be wearing a Swaro 3-18x44

I've got a whole box of 125 grain Partitions, I hope it likes them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats. It's a neat rifle. And you're right, it's not heavy as hell, just heavy grin But it is cool and rugged as hell, harkens back to Mauser, and easy to hold steady. Here's mine:

[Linked Image]

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love the rifle and chambering, have one identical... but doesn't the Swaro 3-18x44 kinda defeat yer tight woods or slipping around purpose? wink

Sandcritter, looks like you have one of these.. Ghost ring peep

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I noticed the aperture sight as well. How do you like it? Does it zero correctly with the factory front sight?
Rick

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very nice rifle. I have one it 9.3x62, and yes they are a little heavy but in that caliber some weight is not a bad thing! With the peep sight it weighs 7 lbs. 10.5 oz. Scoped it is a pound or more heavier depending on the scope and mounts.

I have a NECG peep sight for mine and had to get a taller front blade from NECG as it shot too low with the factory sight. But NECG was very helpful and it works very well with the peep sight.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
II have the CZ 550 6.5 in a Kevlar stock

Great shooting rifles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful rifle.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If she's shooting low....get a shorter front blade wink I have a NECG peep on a Ruger 77 Boat Paddle in 243. Fits the factory receiver mount cuts like a champ. Same goes for the CZ receiver. Peep should fit the ring cuts and grooves like a glove. One on the way smile

Last edited by GeoW; 04/07/12.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickinTN
I noticed the aperture sight as well. How do you like it? Does it zero correctly with the factory front sight?
Rick

Yepper. What CKW said. Like that NECG peep A LOT. Just needed a (taller) front blade blank, file down to suit.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you get the brass front sight? What height?

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one NECG sells as a blank front sight for CZ. Braze is brazed to the front. Bit thicker post, probably intended for dangerous game I'd guess, but still getting around 1" groups at 50yds and it's very fast on target. Height 0.260 when was done tweaking

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While i will agree that that huge swaro ruins what i feel was/is the purpose for that rifle, i cantlike running irons either. MY eyes wont work with them any more. I would however reccomend a low magnification optic or even a very high quality low profile red dot of some sort. The scope would lend itself better to the overall look of the rifle. But my goal is hitting stuff. Not creating a beautiful display piece. Just sayin.....

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Seems the scope is overkill for the rifle, think a lower powered lightweight scope would be much better, I think that thing would look skookum with a straight tube scope myself!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
mannlicher stocked rifles cry out for straight tube scopes. (To my eye, anyway.) Either way, the OP has a great looking rifle, in a classy cartridge. Enjoy!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Appreciate the comments. As far as the scope, I don't want to limit this rifle to only "close" shots with the irons. Which is why I am going to run the Talley Quick Detach rings. Best of both worlds, I can always pop the scope off and run it naked.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just curious, what would you shoot with that rifle where 4x wouldn't be enough?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by avagadro

What can you possibly shoot with a rifle that you couldn't shoot with a musket? What could you possibly shoot with a musket that you couldn't shoot with a bow and arrow? What could you possibly shoot with a bow and arrow that you couldn't hit with a rock?

I hate to be a smart ass, but you get my point.

The good thing about a 3 power to 18 power scope (hence the 3-18x44) is that I can dial it to 4x anytime I like and shoot. It will be like a fixed 4 power scope, with the option of more magnification. You should look into one of these "new-fangled, variable powered scopes" that are all the rage now.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Santee116
Originally Posted by avagadro

You should look into one of these "new-fangled, variable powered scopes" that are all the rage now.

Dammit, man. That was funny.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use the Talley detachable rings on my CZ because they were the lowest ones I could find.

BUT, with a large ocular scope (e.g. with a 1.6" or larger diameter) the bolt handle hits the scope. Mine does it with a Nikon African, it just misses a Burris 2-7x35 ocular. No problems with the Leupold I tried. I do not know how large of an ocular your scope of choice is, but be forewarned that you may encounter scope/bolt handle issues.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by CKW
I use the Talley detachable rings on my CZ because they were the lowest ones I could find.

BUT, with a large ocular scope (e.g. with a 1.6" or larger diameter) the bolt handle hits the scope. Mine does it with a Nikon African, it just misses a Burris 2-7x35 ocular. No problems with the Leupold I tried. I do not know how large of an ocular your scope of choice is, but be forewarned that you may encounter scope/bolt handle issues.

Which is why I love Midway USA, they will take a roll of toilet paper back if it didn't wipe a good turd. God Bless Larry!

Last edited by Santee116; 04/08/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (222ND, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,515
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.