Hop To
#6384472 04/08/12
S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The South Dakota GFP now allows land owners to shoot Muskrats instead of having to trap them. Since we have a reservoir with more than a few of them in it I have been thinning them down. I have to keep my shot direction to certain areas in case of ricochet but it has been an interesting excercise the last few days. A .22 seems to be the most effective. Shotgun is a bit to short in reach at times and centerfires are overkill.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Around here a cloudy evening right before dark is the best time, year around, but they do kinda go crazy in the spring. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Almost like shooting beaver on a damage permit. The best time is dusk with the sun set to your back, or the full moon and use the wind to your advantage.
I use Remington 22 Sub-Sonics in my CZ 452 Ultra-Lux the 28" barrel makes it quieter than a pellet gun. A Leupold 3-9 x 40 with a German #4 crosshairs.
I've shot 3 on the same pond in a couple minutes.
Would work the same for rats, I've seen plenty of them shooting beavers.

S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
Around here a cloudy evening right before dark is the best time, year around, but they do kinda go crazy in the spring. miles

That has been my experience as well. Yesterday evening they started coming out in numbers about an hour before sunset. For thirty minutes or so there were usually a couple in sight.

S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Almost like shooting beaver on a damage permit. The best time is dusk with the sun set to your back, or the full moon and use the wind to your advantage.
I use Remington 22 Sub-Sonics in my CZ 452 Ultra-Lux the 28" barrel makes it quieter than a pellet gun. A Leupold 3-9 x 40 with a German #4 crosshairs.
I've shot 3 on the same pond in a couple minutes.
Would work the same for rats, I've seen plenty of them shooting beavers.

I can't shoot the beavers so I have traps set for them. I have a couple of boxes of sub-sonics but my 10/22 won't feed them so well. Where I live noise isn't an issue and the rats don't seem to pay any attention to it, at least so far. I have had the best shooting the last hour of daylight too. I just sent a couple of scopes to Leupold to have the No. 4 reticle installed and am anxious to get them back.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by stantdm
The South Dakota GFP now allows land owners to shoot Muskrats .... centerfires are overkill.

Blasphemy!!!

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by stantdm
The South Dakota GFP now allows land owners to shoot Muskrats .... centerfires are overkill.

Blasphemy!!!

blush

Last edited by stantdm; 04/10/12.
S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have been told that the rules for taking muskrats with .22's and other approved means, while passed into law, isn't in effect until the GFP makes rules and sets dates for their taking. I was told it was passed and signed but didn't check with the local conservation officer about it. In South Dakota you cannot take them with .22's or other means contained in the legislation at this time. I hope they hurry it up.

Last edited by stantdm; 04/20/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed close to two dozen with a Ruger 77/22 Mag. Just aimed in front of the V in the water and I ended up with a dead muskrat.

Man that was fun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Long before the GFP condoned it, muskrats were spring entertainment in NE So Dak - our version of "prairie dog" shooting. Centerfires are NOT overkill - 55 gr. 6mm at 4000 fps sends them airborne! And the swimmers were great for learning how to shoot moving targets with a rifle.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy bouncing bullets, Batman. Water is very good for ricochets which I'm guessing is why centerfire ammo is not permitted under the new law. Granted there's not much to hit around here. You're lucky, the current and last conservation officer here would gladly upped their citation count at your expense.

Another oddity, you need a furbearer license to shoot opossum though they are hell on pheasant nests and just plain nasty. Probably could get away with that one.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 41 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.