Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Off the bench a sinclair rest with a leather bag and folded towel in the front,a sand filled bunny bag in the rear forward of the rear swivel.

Anyone venture a guess why this padding helps over a leather bag?

I have a lightweight 270 I had built a couple years ago that should be an excellent shooter. Kinda giving me fits, but this thread is shedding some light on possible reasons..

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My guess is it's because light rifles are more sensitive to a hard rest than heavier rifles. Of course, even a 10-pound rifle will "bounce" and put its shots high when rested on something really hard, like a log, but even a sandbag can become relatively hard when packed down by some shooting.

When I started fooling around with really light hunting rifles(under 7 pounds with scope) 20-some years ago, I noticed some of them strung shots vertically, at random. I tried a folded towel and the stringing went away.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I shoot a model 28 in 300WM using Mel`s Bench Wizard rear bag..JB turned me onto it and it works real well to tame the recoil...I will say it is a little cumbersome for me to get a good cheek weld with it sometimes..I doubt you would need one for a 7-08 that gun should be a joy to shoot using the methods pointed out in this post ! Has anyone ever tried shooting a NULA off a bipod ?

Last edited by Aviator; 04/13/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My guess is it's because light rifles are more sensitive to a hard rest than heavier rifles. Of course, even a 10-pound rifle will "bounce" and put its shots high when rested on something really hard, like a log, but even a sandbag can become relatively hard when packed down by some shooting.

When I started fooling around with really light hunting rifles(under 7 pounds with scope) 20-some years ago, I noticed some of them strung shots vertically, at random. I tried a folded towel and the stringing went away.

Do you think this towel trick will help a 308 Carbine that tends to go into "lift off" when fired?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Probably.

It will still lift off, but will probably group better.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DJTex
Thanks, JB.

I don't see extreme flyers with them without a forend hold unless I'm shooting off a hard bag. Learned this lesson the hard way with my first Montana - a 300 WSM. Hanging on and padding that rest cured its ills, and I've done it ever since.

But even off a gunsock (which I generally use instead of a towel, but to the same effect), the Montanas I've run are a bit more consistent if I have a forend hold.

Incidentally, my Montana 223 is the most forgiving and fun to shoot of the lot - for obvious reasons - but it just wants to hit where it should beyond all reason. I've shot silly groups at 300-400 yards with it from field positions - off sticks and packs and my knee - sometimes in more wind than seems reasonable. Just dial elevation, make a pretty good guess on wind and start shooting, and it seems to almost seek the target.

It is the most fun and naturally great shooting rifle I've ever played with, and should only get better when I shoot the barrel out and AI it.

I killed a doe on a dead run with it this year at around 100 yards on the last day of the season - just swung through her and daylighted her a little and stuck it right behind her shoulder. Felt like wing shooting with a really well balanced shotgun.

An ultra light can sure shine if it fits right.

DJ

Still waiting on my 223 Montana. This ^^^ isn't helping any!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DJTex
Incidentally, my Montana 223 is the most forgiving and fun to shoot of the lot - for obvious reasons - but it just wants to hit where it should beyond all reason. I've shot silly groups at 300-400 yards with it from field positions - off sticks and packs and my knee - sometimes in more wind than seems reasonable. Just dial elevation, make a pretty good guess on wind and start shooting, and it seems to almost seek the target.

It is the most fun and naturally great shooting rifle I've ever played with, and should only get better when I shoot the barrel out and AI it.

I killed a doe on a dead run with it this year at around 100 yards on the last day of the season - just swung through her and daylighted her a little and stuck it right behind her shoulder. Felt like wing shooting with a really well balanced shotgun.

An ultra light can sure shine if it fits right.

DJ

Late to the party but this bolded text is so very much similar to what the original founders of old Kimber of Oregon spoke of - what they were after in their rifles, that I felt compelled to mention it... OT

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They hit the nail on the head with the 84M's, IMHO - especially the ones with the smallest holes in the barrels. The extra beef is perfect - and makes me like the feel and handle of my Montana 223 just a little better than my Montana 308.

Or maybe it's because it doesn't kick me...grin.

They're both plenty sweet, though.

DJ

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,876 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.