Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Not even sure where to start. Ok first off I bought a 300wsm a few months back and topped it with a Burris E1 3-9x scope. The first time I took it to the range I was shooting some factory loads to get it on paper before I started handloading for it. That first day I shot a five shot and a three shot group once on paper. The first few groups of five shot inside .75" and the three shot was just over .5", I was very pleased. So off to load development. I started working on a load and the first few showed promise starting at .8", but the more I shot the worse the groups got. By the time I was done I was at 3.5" and my groups moved around on the target. I thought that was odd so I tryed another bullet, same thing big groups. So after cleaning it up again I decided to try the factory loads again, well now they shoot 3+". I headed home thinking that the scope must have come loose so I took it off and everything was tight. At this point I decided to try the second E1 I had laying around while I shipped the first one back to Burris. Bingo sub MOA again. Ok here is what gets me, now with the new scope the more I shoot the bigger the groups get with handloads or factory. What are the odds of two bad scopes? though they are the same make. I had a gunsmith check the gun out and he says it looks great nothing loose that he can see. I love the gun but I am at my wits end with it. So I am hoping you all may have some ideas or thoughts of where to go next with it. Thank you so much for your time.

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a Burris about 12 years ago. Went bad on 6 shots or so of 300WM. Sent it in. Went bad again within 1/2 a box of 300WM.

I'll never buy another Burris. So yeah - if a Burris (mine) can go TU twice in less than a box of shells, 2 different Burrises can go TU too.

Me

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
1. Are you flinching?
2. Have someone else shoot the gun....
3. Change to a known shooter scope.....
4. Let gun cool between strings....

jus' a coupla suggestions....ymmv....

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps Burris had a bad run of scopes. I have two Leupold's at the repair station right now that were both bought brand new in the fall of last year. One has a broken reticle, the other is spraying shots.

W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have had a flinch here and there and discount that group only working with the ones that I knew were shot to my ability. I have not had anyone else shoot it, been going to the range alone. I have thought about taking a scope off another gun but hate to do that on a gun that is shooting great. I do let it cool down between strings. By now I have 80 rnds through it and nothing to show for it. If I knew for sure it was the scope I would go buy a better one today. Seems like alot of folks have had similar issues with a gun in the past, it was a pain to figure out a good consistant accurate load. I have not, everything in the past has came together really easy with no issues, I think that is why I am having such a hard time with it never been down that road till now.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would ditch the burris.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WyoXJ -

Is the barrel floated?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
At this point I decided to try the second E1 I had laying around while I shipped the first one back to Burris. Bingo sub MOA again.

This is a scope issue. Or possibly mounts. You removed the ammo and if the gun itself was the culprit you would have not returned to sub moa...JMO

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Coyote! how the heck are ya? its been a while. Yea I can slip a business card under the bbl to within an inch of the reciever. I have to say though this is the nicest functioning gun i have ever owned or shot for that matter. Now if I could just iron out the bugs.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have killed a lot of scopes. It is not a rare occurance for those that actually shoot. Sounds like a scope to me. usually my scope failures were subtle, the groups just got bigger, but basically stayed on point of aim.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whats your rifle, base/ring set up?

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have a sako 75 with sako optilock rings & bases

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WyoXJ -

Did you clean the barrel between sessions?

I had a Savage .22-250 that shot great for the first 3,500 rounds or so. (Dad gave me 1500 empty cases with the rifle and I put a couple K through it myself.) When the barrel finally went it would shoot fine for 4-5 rounds after cleaning but quickly went from there to shotgun patterns.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like your mounts and rings are loosening as you shoot it. Better loctite the bastids and get back to us...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Yea I would clean it every 9-15 shots

W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds like your mounts and rings are loosening as you shoot it. Better loctite the bastids and get back to us...

I used loctite ( blue ) when I installed the scope and bases. I am a big fan of loctite.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
On the two piece Optilock,double check that the base is tight and square to the ring.Also on Optilocks,I have tightened the rings again slightly after shooting.It might be because of the plastic insert or maby I didn't have it seated properly the first time.

I do think it is a scope issue though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If after cleaning the rifle and letting it cool, if the rifle doesn't go back to the original accuracy, you have little choice except to try another scope. If for no other reason than to rule out the scope(s) as the problem.
I'd also let someone else have a go at shooting it. Flinching and adversion to recoil is a cumlative thing that can grow worse as the day progresses. If you're noticing a flinch now and then, you're probably also flinching without being aware of it at times.
Have you ever done the little trick where you look away and have someone else load the cartridge into the chamber? And every so often the guy will slip an empty cartridge into the chamber. That will tell you right away if you're flinching.

Last edited by stillbeeman; 04/10/12.

Aim for the exit hole.
W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Well I guess I need to come up with a proven scope and see what that does.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just to eliminate it,check the action screws.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,708
Posts18,494,424
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.