Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Anybody like the black hills reloaded 69 grain match kings?

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya but a .224 diameter bullet going sideways doesn't constitute a 1 hole .500" group... grin

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
We shot the red box black hills 69 grain but liked the red box 77 and 75 grain better. None of these shot as well as our hand loads. The red box black hills ammo did shoot better than our other factory loaded ammo we shot.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by TWR
Oh NATO ammo would be meaningless to test for accuracy. Unless you include MK262 and the like but M193 and M855 won't shoot well enough in any rifle.
. You have to be kidding me! I get 1/2 inch groups at 15 yards every time I shoot XM193! whistle

such an educated opinion. What do you shoot and out of what AR? and more importantly - what do you shoot with box GI ammo of any kind out of whatever that it is that you shoot out of? Please.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by rost495
IF I were swat, and IF I were allowed my own guns, the last thing I'd own would be a factory gun....

But then its not uncommon for most police to be basically non gun folks.

I am sure they would be more than willing to take donations....I dont know if you know how much a cop makes. I do know that for those guys (IM AM NOT SWAT OR A COP) its a big chunck of change and if they spend that money on a "factory gun" (is the Colt given to the troops a factory gun?). Maybe its Bushmaster - maybe.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by TWR
Oh NATO ammo would be meaningless to test for accuracy. Unless you include MK262 and the like but M193 and M855 won't shoot well enough in any rifle.
. You have to be kidding me! I get 1/2 inch groups at 15 yards every time I shoot XM193! whistle

such an educated opinion. What do you shoot and out of what AR? and more importantly - what do you shoot with box GI ammo of any kind out of whatever that it is that you shoot out of? Please.

Don't get your panties all bunched up, the above was just a joke. But I have shot plenty of XM193 and M855 (the real deal) to know what it does and doesn't do out of more than a dozen ARs that I have owned from factory Colts to custom barreled ones. Ball ammo in 223 is not what I call precision ammo. I usually manage 1.5" groups with it and every now and then get a 1" group or so but lot for lot it doesn't happen often enough to call it precision. I quit buying it by the case when it reached $149/1000 but shot many cases till then. Now I can reload as cheap with much better ammo being the result.

Here's an interesting read...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/511804_.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/405267_.html&page=1
and another off topic read
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/279218_.html

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IF I were swat, and IF I were allowed my own guns, the last thing I'd own would be a factory gun....

But then its not uncommon for most police to be basically non gun folks.

I am sure they would be more than willing to take donations....I dont know if you know how much a cop makes. I do know that for those guys (IM AM NOT SWAT OR A COP) its a big chunck of change and if they spend that money on a "factory gun" (is the Colt given to the troops a factory gun?). Maybe its Bushmaster - maybe.

How about this answer, cops make more than I do. I choose my profession, and if it were LEO and needing an AR, whether the dept did or did not provide, I'd make every effort to buy the BEST I could, since MY life may well depend on it.

I"ve got a question back to you RE buying guns sorta... I"m a volunteer firefighter. We often pay for our own gear. And we dang sure pay for extra lifesaving stuff that we deem may well save our tails in a bad situation. Non of that is cheap. Can you guess what it costs if you have to buy all your own PPE gear as a volunteer firefighter?

Of course you could say I'm different, I tend to value my life and if my job won't pay for things that make it safer, I take that out of my pocket and eat a few more salami sandwhiches and hot dogs. And it helps that I"m driving a 96... that has over 350K miles on it... You have to choose some things in life.....

Reference to military guns accuracy levels is NOT nearly so high, unless you are a SDM or higher. And in those cases the military understands the needs and issues better than run of the mil.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good reply RE the ammo issue.

We never ran much ball other than practice, our sport demanded better accuracy at long distances out of an AR service rifle out to 1000 yards. Believe me I tried every cheap way to make ball ammo workable... it simply was not.

Was plenty accurate to hit folks pretty far out, but not X ring accurate.

I suspect we've fired more than most folks too over the years.. I know my reloading was at or over 20,000 rounds for many years in a row.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I suspect we've fired more than most folks too over the years.. I know my reloading was at or over 20,000 rounds for many years in a row.....

I take it you're using a progressive press for your .223 ammo? If you don't mind, Which one do you use?

thanks

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DINK
I have owned Rockriver, Bushmaster(several),DPMS and S&W Ar-15s at some point or another. None of them will shoot with my new Rockriver operator 2 I just bought.

Dink

I had one of those for a while.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TWR

thank you for the complement, but I am a complete novice regards these rifles. In addition my vision is poor and my hands shake. Let me put in a plug for Noveske they are a stand up company, they will make it right if your not happy.

accurate for me is different than accurate for you. Take a cold rifle out of the case, put a magazine in it, release the bolt, sit down on your backside without a rest and and hit a cantaloupe at 100 yards with your first shot each and every time time you do it. Try to make that first shot as fast as you can and still remain on target. Repeat at least once a week before you begin to heat your barrel up with your "group shooting". Many people really don't know their guns that well, present company excepted of course.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

I take it you're using a progressive press for your .223 ammo? If you don't mind, Which one do you use?

thanks

I have dillon 550 and 650. But mostly use them only for 200 yard short line ammo and practice ammo. 300 and beyond I was a bit picky and usually did them on a rochchucker as it was only half the amount of ammo... which meant only around 10K or so rounds a year. SOunds bad but all we did was live, work and shoot mostly... couple nights a week and I was all loaded up for the next... and a few weekends here and there could stash a 1000 rounds or so ahead of time.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Something is either wrong with me or the ARs that I've shot as
I get about 3" groups at 100 with XM193 and other fmj.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Funny thing, 3" is still in NATO spec...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I get 1/2 inch groups at 15 feet with XM193!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here's 5 in less than an 1" out of my stock Colt H-bar @ 100yds..
Haven't really tried any reloads or other accurate rounds other than these.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jbmi; 04/16/12.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (10Glocks, anothergun, BB3, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 634 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,514
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.