Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
DocRocket's warning about flu reminded me..

Most of my family gets flu shots. My sister and I have never had one and we haven't had a true 'flu' in years.. Yet, those in the family who get the shots get sick..

It's just me - but I'll not get a flu shot unless I'm forced at gunpoint..

What say you?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I never do. Don't see the point in willing getting flu virus even dead injected into me. I got them a couple of times in the past and each time got the flu. Don't get them and I haven't had the flu in years. I worked for a medical device company and they even gave them to employees for fee on site but I still avoided it.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My whole family does get them but I refuse to.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Never do. I last had the flu in 1976. Years ago, I was talked (read badgered) into geting the shots. Did it five times, got sick and missed work every time. When the dreaded swine flu eek came, and the hospital wanted evryone to get the vaccine, a bunch of us worked the system so as not to get the shots, although, on paper, it says we got them. whistle Of those that actually received the shots, 60% missed three days to a week of work, sick. The scofflaws stayed healthy and, in the two years since, have remained that way.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Two of my friends, both in their early 60s, got flu shots. Both later contracted severe cases of flu.

I don't get them and so far, have not had flu in 20 or so years. (Knocking on wood here.)

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I always get them. I've never had a problem after the shot and I can't remember the last time I had the flu.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I get one and so does my family. My thinking is doing it for the well being of my children. If you've ever spent 20 some days straight staring at your 3 year old in a hospital bed and not having any answers.....you would too.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Five years ago I submitted to the badgering of my wife, kids and quack. I got a flu shot. Sure enough I got the flu. Said never again. Last year I let my quack talk me into at least taking a pneumonia shot. Sure enough I got pnuemonia for only the second time in my life.

I might have to jump hell but I will never take another one of either kind.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you read the statistics about the flu and flu shots they are pretty worthless. In general only about 2% of the non-vaccinated public get the flu. With a flu shot, it's down to about 1% of the population. So they can say stuff like "You're 50% less likely to get the flu, if you get a flu shot." All the while there's a 98% chance you won't get the flu without getting the shot.

Just make sure to wash your hands, and take some good Vitamin D. Milk doesn't cut it for vitamin D. And most people in the US don't get enough direct sunlight to help with Vitamin D.

Deal with it.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
They make me sick,so I don't.

Jayco

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flu shots only help with actual influenza. What most people call "getting the flu" is not influenza. Just one of the many hundreds of viruses that go around and make you sick.

From this pharmacists perspective, everyone does not need a flu shot. It's good for kids to get because they are in such close contact with so many other students, plus most parents don't want to take off work for 1-2 weeks if their kid gets the flu. Elderly, people in poor health, and people likely to come in contact with the flu (health care workers) should get a flu shot.

Young healthy people who don't fit the above are at low risk and probably don't need a flu shot.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Flu shots only help with actual influenza. What most people call "getting the flu" is not influenza. Just one of the many hundreds of viruses that go around and make you sick.

From this pharmacists perspective, everyone does not need a flu shot. It's good for kids to get because they are in such close contact with so many other students, plus most parents don't want to take off work for 1-2 weeks if their kid gets the flu. Elderly, people in poor health, and people likely to come in contact with the flu (health care workers) should get a flu shot.

Young healthy people who don't fit the above are at low risk and probably don't need a flu shot.

+1

sandcritter md

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My Doctor recommends the shot and I get it. It only bothered me once when I felt a little tired for a couple of days. When the big flu scare came out a couple of years ago the Doctor did not recommend the vaccine for that specific strain since the only thing available went in your nose and IIRC was a live virus.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being diabetic puts me in an "at risk" group. I get the shot every year. I've never had an adverse reaction, and have never gotten the flu since I started taking it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have never had one until this last go around as my wife was a bit (...) paranoid with me potentially getting sick over here given the health care available. The fact that in short notice I would be flown to Amsterdam for care mattered not. Now I just have this feeling I will get sick.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Always.

The experts know best.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get one most of the time, no problems.

Chris

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"The flu" is no joke. After WWI, influenza killed almost a third of the entire world's population. It COULD happen again. In fact, it is even more likely now because of easy global air flight.

You don't have to take the shot, but if the real influenza comes around, you don't have to survive it, either. A flu shot does not and cannot make you sick. You can get sick of something else despite having the shot, but the shot didn't cause your sickness.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of ya'll better be careful... "neocons" will call ya conspiracy kooks.

wink

Originally Posted by Redneck
It's just me - but I'll not get a flu shot unless I'm forced at gunpoint..

What say you?

Even at gunpoint they'll not be giving me or mine ANY of their injections.

"Safe. Effective. We promise!
You can trust us, we're with the government and we're here to help."

point your phking needles at me and you might just find out what happens when it's injected IV rather than SC.
(insert old stink-eye smiley here)

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I made it thru another flu season, no shot, no flu.
Last year I got a shot, no flu.
The year before, no shot, no flu.
The year before that, I got a shot, no flu.

So- did I not get flu because I got the shot, or did I not get the flu because I didn't get the shot?

Inquiring minds want to know......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,025
Posts18,500,501
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.