Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have any suggestions? Was on my way to order a Kifaru when Patrick pulled the plug on it. Ordered a Waldrop pacseat a couple of days ago but now the only source of them has pulled the plug and i don't know if my order will be filled or not. I can't imagine that a quality backpackable chair would be that hard to produce these days. I have thought about some of the hammock chairs but would like something i could also use inside my tent. So I'm throwing down the challenge to you creative folks! EdT, Evanhill, KevinT...I'm calling you out!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is the one I use:
http://www.rei.com/product/783805/rei-trail-chair

Doubles as a 3/4 length closed cell foam pad for emergency bivouac and as a supplement to my blow up mattress. I've been happy enough with it that I haven't been motivated to design anything different.

These have been around forever and are popular with those who have used them:
http://slinglight.com/sl/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Sling light, I am a little big for it but still better than sitting on the ground. It would probably be like a real hammock for you Brad! I also have the XL crazy creek chair. It weighed over 2 pounds when I got it, now its at about 1.75 lbs once I cut off a bunch of stuff that was not needed. On some trips I bring both it, the Sling light and a small piece of foam.

The only thing I have broke is one buckle on the crazy creek, easy fix.

So whats the deal with the Kifaru chair? Nobody wanted to drop almost 2 bills on it?

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Only a brief statement saying they couldn't keep up with production on the Kifaru chair. The price was high but it seemed like demand was still there. Same thing with the pacseat, a little heavy for backpack use but it appears to be a well designed product, but spotty availability out of a one man shop. That slinglight might be the ticket for around camp or glassing.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Go to boating sites and look for a seat for a canoe. I know there are some light weight folding ones made of various fabrics.
Here's 1 example. 23 oz, $38. You can find them cheaper. CANOE SEAT

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm not much of a crazy creek fan. They're ok, but I'd really like to be off the ground if at all possible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you decide to order a Sling light and were planning on ordering the headrest with it let me know. I will send you the headrest I have. It just does not work for me and digs into my shoulders.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I sit on my cargo chair against the Siwash it's attached to.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
NXP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I use one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/792007/alite-monarch-butterfly-chair

Takes some getting used to with the balance thing, but it is very comfortable (and easy to fall asleep in and fall over). You have to cook off to the side a bit with it or end up tipping into whatever you're doing. Strictly for lounging, but at the end of the day it is nice. Get rid of the carrying case, it's crazy heavy compared to the rest of the seat/frame.

I see the same company has one called the "Mantis" that has 4 feet on it, that would help immensely with balance issues. Next time I swing past REI I'll probably check it out, might be time to upgrade.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
550 cord, logs, sawvivor, and GB axe.

I once made a 3 story log cabin one afternoon, and was half way through the furniture when the whiskey kicked in...

I'm going to spend some time this spring perfecting the back country recliner.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you could build me a lazy boy version at camp I'd appreciate it. Crapper flapper optional. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is the best I've been able to come up with. Weighs about a pound and can roll/fold up and be strapped to bottom of pack or stuffed under pack lid.
http://www.kelty.com/p-312-camp-chair.aspx?category=camp-accessories

Just another iteration of the Crazy Creek but according to the staff at the local outdoor stoor, the Kelty seems to hold up better than the Crazy Creek.

I'm not crazy about this style seat. Too difficult to get down flat on the ground and get back up.(Age & knees) I'd rather be up off the ground but for the money, weight and comfort, this is the best I've found.

It can be adjusted for terrain/slope, will work while glassing as you can prop the elbows comfortably on the knees and like the REI chair evanhill mentions, it can be opened flat and used as a sleep pad.

Last edited by snubbie; 04/11/12.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use a foam pad , log or rock. Not to say I couldn't get more creative but haven't so far. At one time I wanted to make a collapsible reclining cot, lik e a lux lite but with a recliner / lounge chair ability. I recently seen someone is doing the same on backpacking light it's under gear deals. It's pricey.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You could also look at the thermarest ones or exped ones that work with your pad

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Brad,

I have a Crazy Creek version of the Slinglight, that CC doesn't make any more. It is comfy and off the ground, but still can't just sit down in it. I plan on putting tubing extensions with push-buttons, so it will fold down for carrying and extend for sitting.

Probably the only way I would take it backpacking would be into a base camp that wasn't too far of a hike.

I'll post some pictures when I get it done.

Ed T

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Paracord and sticks.

[Linked Image]

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A rock,log or bare flat ground works.

"backcountry chair" ????

What kinda puzzy are you?

I use the folding canvas type chairs, but only next to the pick-up camper... I don't backpack booze, much less asscomfort off-road. What the country provides works good.

I might be getting a bit harsh here, but c'mon, guy- worrying about a chair in the backcountry? Of course, your definitions may differ
from mine.....

I'm only 63 now, and maybe I'll think about getting my kid to carry in a recliner later... If the little bastids would breed, I'll use a grand-kid...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
A rock,log or bare flat ground works.

"backcountry chair" ????

What kinda puzzy are you?

I use the folding canvas type chairs, but only next to the pick-up camper... I don't backpack booze, much less asscomfort off-road. What the country provides works good.

I might be getting a bit harsh here, but c'mon, guy- worrying about a chair in the backcountry? Of course, your definitions may differ
from mine.....

I'm only 63 now, and maybe I'll think about getting my kid to carry in a recliner later... If the little bastids would breed, I'll use a grand-kid...

I used to love to dig around in the creek and catch crawdads and salamanders.

But I outgrew it.

As I've grown older, I've also grown an aversion to sitting on snow, wet ground, roots and rocks, but that's just me. I assume this is what is meant by the saying "with age comes wisdom".

I realize not everyone gets there. whistle

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
To each his own. I'm still young enough to haul a couple pound chair if it means it greatly increases my comfort and enjoyment. There seemed to be a lot of down time last full during the Ky season. Legal hunting hours pretty much run 6-6, i like to sleep as much as the next guy, but I'm not quite old enough to turn in before 9 every night! Probably the same reason "slow" stoves don't bother me, what else do i have to do before going to sleep?! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shift work has something to do with it too I think.

I used to love hunting season when I worked graveyard. Get off work, sit a treestand until noon. Eat a cheeseburger and kill a 6er, sleep until it was time to go hunt. Hunt until dark, eat breakfast, then go to work...

In the backcountry when Elk hunting, I usually hunt hard in the morning, then once the rut cools off, take a nap wherever I'm at. Wake up and plan the evening hunt. But this year there's a slave driver going to be in camp, so during nap time I'll be trying to find bears wink

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 257 mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 67 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,565
Posts18,531,791
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.