Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
For hunting purposes, it is worth the trouble to go up to one of the longer 45 cases? What kind of velocities can be reached?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The 45-70 has been around for such a long time because it works well and is quite easy to load for numerous bullet weights. The 45-90 is a little bit more finicky to load, but not much more than the 45-70. Those longer than the 90 are supposedly a bit more temperamental, but I have no personal experience with them, so that is just hearsay. It has long been said that the 45-70 is capable of taking nearly every game animal on the North American continent, and I believe it. There is a bit of "romance" involved with the longer versions and more exotic chamberings, which appeals to many shooters. The availability of cases, dies, different bullets and the ease of loading for the 45-70 make it a great chambering for the "beginner" in the realm of BPCR.

Is it worth the trouble to go for one of the longer chamberings? Only you can make that choice. I do have 3 rifles in 45-70 and one in 45-90. I like them all, but that's what I have. I'm sure there will be others chiming in here, so read and weigh all advice in your mind.

Oh, nevermind, just wait for swampy to give the best advice you'll ever get on this site.
Just kiddin' . . . grin

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I can see that Swampy is "The Man" ! :-)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can't disagree with anything Otter has written. I have both the .45-70 and .45-90. No flies on the .45-70, however... The .45-90 is just a .45-70 on steroids, just .030" longer. The .45-70 was also called the .45-1/10" and the .45-90 the .45-4/10". Everything else is the same. In fact, except for FL sizing which I seldom do, I just use .45-70 dies for all my .45-90 loading operations.

The advantage of the .45-90, as I see it, is a bit more versatility. Because of its additional length and powder capacity, you have more options for powder charge, wad thickness, and seating depth. I don't find it particularly fussy, but that's just my experience and perception. Another obvious advantage of the .45-90 is getting a bit of extra velocity for really long range shooting, like out to 1000 yards.

I have no experience with the longer cases, and never felt any personal need to go there.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If a person is going to hamstring hisself and stay in the 45 caliber rut, the 90 might just be the best of them. You can load it at 45-70 levels, and you can also dump in nearly 100 grs with judicious use of a drop tube and a slow pour.
And as already pointed out the 45-70 outlived all of it's offspring, there's got to be a reason for that....
But I have yet to find a cartridge as amicable and easy to work with and achieve top accuracy as the 44-77 has turned out to be. I really have a hard time figuring out why that cartridge went obsolete....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No, it's not worth the trouble to go to the longer calibers, but it is fun.

I started with a 100, then a 90, now a 70. Part of that has to do with the types of bullets I shoot and they way they must be loaded, but the 70 works just fine. The 90 is mostly just more expensive (but it looks so good!). And the 100 is just even more of the same,(but it looks even better).

If I shot conventional bullets I'd be more inclined to stick with the 90 I suppose, but there isn't a wrong answer here.

With one exception. I know of enough people that have had to have a 110 or 120 for their first bpcr, and then decided to
1. quit
2. sell or trade down
3. rebarrel.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If my understanding is correct, that you can shoot the 45-70 out of a 45-100 chamber, I'd go with that for the dual cartridge use.

First I guess I'd better ask if that is correct, can the 45-70 be shot from the 45-100 chamber?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes, but it isn't recommended. All kinds of accuracy and fouling problems.

It's just something that experienced BPCR shooters never do.

Paul

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, thanks Paul, scratch that. I personally would not trade accuracy for the small benefit of two so similar cases.

B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I would imagine it's like firing a 458 Win Mag in a 458 Lott chamber. It will work for a while, but the bullet hammering the front of the chamber, plus the fouling buildup, would make for trouble in chambering a Lott round after extended use.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 45/110 is a devastating hitter on big critters but at least mine is as cranky as an old soldier. Original guns are really a law unto themselves. I am currently using a 44/90 Sharps bottlemeck and it is very impressive in its hitting power. It does seem that the more powder,the heavier the bullet,the more tempermental they are but damn they do it right when you find their sweet spot.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 04/12/12.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
It seems the folks that have the 44/77 and 44/90 absolutely love them. Must be something to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 44/90 dropped this big wild sow wid one shot. VERY decisively.

[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Waidmannsheil ET.

Big mamma! Did you get the meat back home. Could make some good saussage and smoked back strap...

I like the picture and the Sharp rifle! Lead bullet seems to get the job done as in the past centuries.

Regards

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you use smokeless the .45-70 will work fine in the longer chambers. The .45-70 is much cheaper to shoot. The resell is much better and easier with the .45-70 if you're buying as an investment. I have 4 .45-70s. What's not to like?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weidmannsdanke WF. I brought ALL the meat back home. LOTSA sausage(she weighed in at 500 lbs) and I have 2 enormous hams and the loins grin The big Sharps rounds are pure killing machines with blackpowder and paperpatched lead slugs! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Biebs
It seems the folks that have the 44/77 and 44/90 absolutely love them. Must be something to it.

No flies on either but the main lure for me to get the 44/90 was its historical signifigance. The old Sharps Co. sales records indicate that the big 44 was a much more popular cartridge on the plains than the Big 50/90. The 44/77 preceeded those 2 and was the best seller until they came out. It is becoming fairly clear that gg bullets may not be the most practical for the big 44 and there are no historical references I could find nor that I have heard of that had them with anything BUT a paperpatched bullet.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by writing_frog

Waidmannsheil ET.

Big mamma! Did you get the meat back home. Could make some good saussage and smoked back strap...

I like the picture and the Sharp rifle! Lead bullet seems to get the job done as in the past centuries.

Regards

Dom

Yep, I was there with ET, and can attest that .44-90 hammered that sow!

The picture I wish I'd been able to get was the view from a distance, the pig down, ET standing there a short distance from it, and a cloud of BP smoke hanging 15-20 feet in the air, testifying to the event. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swampman700
If you use smokeless the .45-70 will work fine in the longer chambers. The .45-70 is much cheaper to shoot. The resell is much better and easier with the .45-70 if you're buying as an investment. I have 4 .45-70s. What's not to like?

Wow !

That's one to keep on file.
Someone had an extra cup of stupid, before writing that one.

Have you ever LOOKED at a cross sectioned rifle chamber, or thought about what goes on inside of one ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's Swampy's version of Roy's freebore in a BPCR gun! crazy

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Wow !

Have you ever LOOKED at a cross sectioned rifle chamber, or thought about what goes on inside of one ?

GTC

how dare you question the great expert of all things BPCR!

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Wow !

GTC

As we say in aviation, he has stupid set the "ripple fire". Aside from being a dorky looking buffoon, he's an unmitigated ASS and a self admitted troll.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For hunting purposes, it is worth the trouble to go up to one of the longer 45 cases? What kind of velocities can be reached?

I designed my .45-2.6-550 (.45 100) reamer to provide LOTS of Tight .459" freebore.
Freshly cut, that section requires a little finish lapping, and than a sniff of longitudinal lapping. The Reamer was DESIGNED to cut a chamber that would run well with a Leeth "Gordon" Greaser, the Jones' Creedmoore, and others of that type.
This chambering can be loaded from Normal BP .45-70 energies up to a pretty exciting reverse duplex ".45-135-550" spec (requires 2 compression) that is pretty doggone rowdy. We've never chronographed that load, It's an offhand only stunt, I AIN'T shooting it of a bench.

Did the same basic freebore set up with my .45-70 reamer, it's a versatile chamber to load for, as well, and can handle .45-83 loadings, when a fixed round breech seater is used.

For dangerous game I'd damn sure want that .45-2.6, it would no doubt have an edge on the shorter case.

Would nonetheless advise you to start with a well built .45-70, Se�or.

GTC

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
It's Swampy's version of Roy's freebore in a BPCR gun! crazy

Yeah, really,......nothing quite as deadly accurate as .200" of .4810"+ "Freebore" to properly 'Slug up' a CB,.....prior to it being immediately slammed back to .4595".

Great for the necks of those cases , to.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Paul39
I can't disagree with anything Otter has written. I have both the .45-70 and .45-90. No flies on the .45-70, however... The .45-90 is just a .45-70 on steroids, just .030" .300" longer. The .45-70 was also called the .45-1/10" and the .45-90 the .45-4/10". Everything else is the same. In fact, except for FL sizing which I seldom do, I just use .45-70 dies for all my .45-90 loading operations.

The advantage of the .45-90, as I see it, is a bit more versatility. Because of its additional length and powder capacity, you have more options for powder charge, wad thickness, and seating depth. I don't find it particularly fussy, but that's just my experience and perception. Another obvious advantage of the .45-90 is getting a bit of extra velocity for really long range shooting, like out to 1000 yards.

I have no experience with the longer cases, and never felt any personal need to go there.

Paul

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/13/12.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Duh! blush

Thanks for the correction, Crossfire.

Paul

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
knew ya' would not mind,

gtc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Wow !

GTC

It works fine in mine. If you ever shot, you'd know I'm right.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
From the Shiloh Sharps web site forum discussion:

"You can physically fire a .45-70 in one of the longer .45 chambers, but it strikes me as very poor practice.

Most of us who purchase these rifles work hard to get the accuracy of which they are capable, going through a great deal of effort to cast perfect bullets, size and lube them properly, find the primers, powder type and charge, and overall length that the rifle likes. We get a lot of enjoyment out of getting all we can out of these fine rifles.

What you can expect when shooting a .45-70 in a longer case is probably very poor accuracy, since the bullet will bounce around the chamber for 0.30-0.775" before slamming into the front of the chamber and the rifling at random angles. That will probably result in leading in addition to non-existent accuracy. I'm not sure whether there would be physical damage.

With lead bullets, you may not foul up the chamber, but why anyone would bother to do something so sloppy and so obviously poor in practice is beyond me.

It's like buying a Ferrari and using standard grade fuel. You can do it, the engine will probably run, and you may or may not have long-term damage. But you can bet that there will probably be pre-ignition that can be very detrimental to engine life, particularly if you use the engine like a Ferrari is meant to be driven.

The difference in cost is insignificant-probably $50 or less for cases to do it correctly. In my non-so-humble opinion, if you want minimal effort, either get a .45-70 or stick to the kind of rifles you can buy at Wally World."

Now, to his credit, Swampy never said they were accurate or they didn't make a big mess... laugh

Or, another way to look at it, without much expectation, there can be little disappointment... smile

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It must work for him as they all seem to go in the same hole! whistle

Woody
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It must work for him as they all seem to go in the same hole! whistle

You mean that off the back porch target with powder burns... laugh

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have been accurate....I shoot .38 Specials in my .357 Magnum too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I've shot 44 specials in my 44 mag..apples and oranges compared to what you're doing...

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He's DEFINING clueless more clearly. with every post.

....and this idiot claims to be an " instructor " ?

Good Grief, Charie Brown

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I've shot 44 specials in my 44 mag..apples and oranges compared to what you're doing...

It's exactly the same thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As noted, you don't know the ACTUAL chamber specifications of the chambers discussed from your chamber pot.

"It's exactly the same thing"

Your a [bleep] idiot

GTC

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

It's exactly the same thing.

Except...!

It's NOT exactly or even close to the same...!

Now listen up...!

Gonna make it as simple as possible...!

The .45-70 may look like a straight wall case, like .44 Mag/spec cases.

But it is NOT...

It's actually a tapered case with a neck and neck sizing dies can be had. No neck sizing dies for .44 Mag/spec.

Why?

Because, they're straight walled cases.

To summarize: .45-70 and its longer cousins are NOT straight walled cases...!

Don't believe me. Check it out on line.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been aware of that since the 1970s. It's pretty much a non-issue.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If you're aware and have been aware (since the '70's) that these are tapered cartridge cases, what trips your wire to make a statement that they're the "same" as straight walled cases when you've just admitted you know that's not true?

I've got to be careful here. You're going to have me thinking and writing in circles just like you... crazy

Wow!

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They work the same. The powder ignites and the bullet travels down the bore and the bullet strikes in the same place. The short jump isn't an issue at least on target paper. The taper is almost nothing in that few thousandths that the bullet jumps. It's still in the case when it engages the rifling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's the difference, in the handguns the magnums were intentionally made only 1/10 inch longer. There's almost 1/2 inch difference just between the 45-70 and the 90, theres nearly an inch difference between the 110 and the 70. So a bullet fired from the 90 or 110 chamber has to expand to .480 or over and then gets slammed back down to .458. It will work for a few rounds but then the chamber fouls up with both powder and lead and the accuracy that doesn't amount to much in the first place really goes to pot.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bullet isn't going to expand at all over smokeless.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Woody, get the padded cell ready, put a Little Lord Fauntleroy Hat in with the stuffed animals,........

Don, go get some Thorazine,........

I'll go and see if we have a straight jacket that will fit this idiot.

GTC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another thread polluted by the resident POS. Swampshit, don't you get tired of your breath smelling like crap by constantly and intentionally talking out of your ass? (rhetorical question).

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn hope he's not recommending this BS to others.He seems to think smokeless is his salvation but down the road it may just upset his apple cart.

Swampy needs to go read the Shilo forum and some of the replies about shooting the 70 in longer chambers.. of course these guys are shooting way over priced rifles and don't know what they're talking about..

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 04/13/12.

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bullet isn't going to expand at all over smokeless.

You're too smart to really believe that. You're just being a chit disturber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The taper is almost nothing in that few thousandths that the bullet jumps.

Few thoudandths??

2.1 vs 2.4 inches. That is 3 tenths of an inch or 300 thousandths.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish Rick would ban him, this idiot is going to get someone either killed or severely hurt if he keeps up this sort of ridiculous advice.

Hey Swampie, one of the FIRST rules of safe shooting everyone should learn is ALWAYS USE THE CORRECT AMMUNITION IN YOUR FIREARM.

There are a very few exceptions to the rule but unless a firearm manufacturer states it's safe to do so you should NEVER use anything but the correct ammunition in any firearm.

The original international turd
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I owned and used 45-70's for 20+ years and I don't believe a person really needs any more than that. However, I no longer own one and have used a 45-90 for close to 20 years. My preference is for the 45-90 for hunting. I don't know that it's any more effective in reality but I like it better. Mine has always been easy to load for. I also own a 45-100 but rarely use it. The one I own is in a Cody Rifle Works Ballard with a Badger barrel and it was a real bear to find a suitable load for. Even now the load I use is not as accurate as the 45-90 or my 40-70SS. My 40-70SS is my target rifle If it's your first rifle, get the 45-70 and learn from it.

Are the longer cases worth it? Well, I think at least the 45-90 is. Your velocity gains won't be all that great. If a person was hunting the largest North American game then I do believe the 45-100 would be worth the cost and effort to work up a really good load. The velocity gain still isn't significant, IMO, but it's enough to be worth the effort.

I've worked with a lot of BPCR cartridges and rifles over the years and if it were me I believe I would take the path a few others on this board have and try a 44-77 or a 44-90. They just look so cool and as ET and others have proven they can be made accurate and are certainly powerful.....and not every mothers son has one!!!

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Comparative pic. L to R 44/90.45/110 and the good old 30/06
[Linked Image]

Tough to see but the case body of the 44/90 is larger than the big 45. .515 at the base next to the rim,tapering to .505 at the shoulder. The round was made before fireforming. The shoulder is actually more of a radius than an angle/

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reading in Seller's Sharps book , that the 44-77 with it's 420 gr bullet was reported as shooting thru 2 and more buffalo and killing them at 500 yds. That's a single round doing that, the 40-90 bn was also really popular.
I'm easily droppin 80 grs of 1.5 kik in the 77 case, and can get 85 grs. and still be able to compress it without bulging anything.....
I really think folks are missing the boat by following the old wives tales about how the bottlenecks won't shoot...

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys for the back on track..this can be a very interesting and informative thread without the occasional intrusion of "swamp knowledge" eek

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More comparatives. L to R,45/110,45/90 and 45/70

[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Looks like I'll need some paper-patching lessons :-)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Jeez, E.T.! There you go again, leading someone else over to the paper-patched Dark Side! laugh

Biebs, watch yourself, E.T. has a habit of indoctrination that will have you spending your grandkids' inheritance on those EVIL BPCR's! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, I'm already planning on my 2nd and 3rd, and I haven't even got the first one yet? He is truly "evil".

B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
This is like inner-city gang recruitment...do I join the "Greasers-Groovers" or the "Paper-Patchers" ? :-)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll 2nd, or 3rd, whichever is correct, Ranch13's comment on bottleneck cases. I've worked with 2, the 43 Mauser and the 577/450 Martini. I was able to achieve more than adequate accuracy with both. The 43 was in a double rifle with washy rifling and I was able to obtain 3-4 inches combined group at 50 yards. Individually they would print around 2 inches at 50. With the Martini I was able to obtain 3-4 inches at 100 yards. I was more than satisfied with both rifles given their age, bore condition and sights...and my eyes.

Last edited by sharps4590; 04/14/12.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is like inner-city gang recruitment...do I join the "Greasers-Groovers" or the "Paper-Patchers" ? :-)

I use both, but admit the greasers are much easier to load and shoot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Relax, both "Gangs" work for the same Cartel,.....E.T. being one of the "Dons" thereof.A high level of "esprit" and notable comeradarie seems to currently exist 'tween the greasers and the patchers.

You start running with the degenerate "Smokeless Muckers" you will be in Deep kimchee,and your intelligence will be called into question.

GTC

B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I've heard....Black is beautiful?? :-)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So without trying to open another can of worms, all else being equal, is paper patching the more accurate of patching vs. grease? Any special accomadations needed to paper patch?

I had a 50-90 Sharps and sold it. Have regretted it every day since. At some point I'm going to ease back into BP shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's not much difference in accuracy between the two. But unless you have a chamber cut to original deminsions with the shallow lead angle, finding the superdooper patched load is a bunch more time consuming than with a well made and cast greaser.
I'm going thru this now with the 44-77. I had brooks make me a 480gr .447 diameter bullet with the original postel nose, and he added a tapered driving band. That bullet with 77gr. 1.5 KIK will shoot moa at 300 yds all day long.
I can't quite get a patched bullet to do that yet, but that's the beauty of nose pour adjustable moulds. grin You can keep playing with the weight and length until you get what the rifle really likes.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ranch you have been a wealth of information and advice, as I have read your posts for some time. Thank you for you kind and generous willingness to share. Let me say it is sincerely appreciated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Richard,always glad to help if I can.

www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by sharps4590
I owned and used 45-70's for 20+ years and I don't believe a person really needs any more than that. However, I no longer own one and have used a 45-90 for close to 20 years. My preference is for the 45-90 for hunting. I don't know that it's any more effective in reality but I like it better. Mine has always been easy to load for. I also own a 45-100 but rarely use it. The one I own is in a Cody Rifle Works Ballard with a Badger barrel and it was a real bear to find a suitable load for. Even now the load I use is not as accurate as the 45-90 or my 40-70SS. My 40-70SS is my target rifle If it's your first rifle, get the 45-70 and learn from it.

Are the longer cases worth it? Well, I think at least the 45-90 is. Your velocity gains won't be all that great. If a person was hunting the largest North American game then I do believe the 45-100 would be worth the cost and effort to work up a really good load. The velocity gain still isn't significant, IMO, but it's enough to be worth the effort.

I've worked with a lot of BPCR cartridges and rifles over the years and if it were me I believe I would take the path a few others on this board have and try a 44-77 or a 44-90. They just look so cool and as ET and others have proven they can be made accurate and are certainly powerful.....and not every mothers son has one!!!

Yeah, but that 500 BPE double you have is pretty sweet. wink

He went over yonder way
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An upside to a 70 is that it can always be auger out to a 90, 100, 110, or 120. A bit more extravagent to go the other way. I have a 70 and a 90 but no 100+'s. Myy understanding is that it takes a mans man to put 60 or 70 rds down range in a day when one is pushing 540+ grain slugs.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/14/12.

1Minute
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
So without trying to open another can of worms, all else being equal, is paper patching the more accurate of patching vs. grease?

No. If you look at the equipment list of competitors in major BPCR matches, the majority shoot grease groove bullets. However, there is a hard core of paper patchers, and some do well. It is an ongoing friendly debate, and more are climbing on the paper patch bandwagon, me among them.

I shot the Arizona regional Creedmoor match last month (800-900-1000 yards) using a .45-70 and 535 gr. paper patched bullets. This was not a conventional hunting or all-purpose load, as I use a heavy charge and seat the bullet only about 1/10". It is loose in the case, can be pulled out with fingers. It is more like a .45-90 load in terms of powder charge and velocity.

I don't claim to be a man among men, but I put 50-60 of those 535 grainers downrange each day out of a 12.5 pound rifle without getting the snot kicked out of me. Everybody uses a pad or recoil shield of some sort, and it helps a lot if the stock fits well. You know you're not firing a pea shooter, however.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 04/14/12.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At some time in the VERY near future we need to get a thread running about a plethora of very good reasons that:

A.) A Chamber that will EXCEL with Greasers will deliver only mediocre PP accuracy

B.) The exact INVERSE is true, e.g. a chamber designed for a specific PP load will drive ya' NUTS ,....lookin' for the right GG loading.

I'm not sure that that particular subject should encompass or cover the fact that "Bore conditioning" or "Bore Finish" should be called out as regards the clear cut requirement for a different mechanical design approach. I'll go on record here, saying that right from the get go, trying to run BOTH out of the same barrel is a mistake.
, "Rougher" bore finishes will LOVE GGs,......but, a mirror smooth bore finish (that generated by PPS) will NOT toss GGS into small clusters,.....and there's a perfectly logical, and simple reason for that. There are some GREAT observations about the hows and whys of alla' this, almost lost in the dim recesses of history, and barely surviving , ....for one's perusal.

Doesn't that make you glad we didn't take up Golf ?

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The standard shiloh chambers do a pretty good job with both types of bullets.
There are some rifles about with 20 twist barrels and chambers cut from reamers from original borchardts that shoot both type of bullets very well.
There are also some rifles that had their throats recut to shallower lead angels that shooot patched bullets lights out but lost the greasers.
In the end it comes down to working with whatcha got, and figuring out how to make that work.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm really enjoying reading all these threads.
I'd love to be able to get a bunch of you guys together for a long weekend and just sit and listen, maybe ask a few questions, I think it'd be worth more than fifty years of trial and error.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ranch13
The standard shiloh chambers do a pretty good job with both types of bullets.
There are some rifles about with 20 twist barrels and chambers cut from reamers from original borchardts that shoot both type of bullets very well.
There are also some rifles that had their throats recut to shallower lead angels that shooot patched bullets lights out but lost the greasers.
In the end it comes down to working with whatcha got, and figuring out how to make that work.

No, "in the end" refer to that highlighted in RED above.

Thanks for the verifying my thesis there, Don.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thing is, it's not unheard of to have a rifle that will shoot both equally well. But it may take a bit more fooling around to get one or the other bullet to group tight, but it can happen.
Most folks tho just say screw it and shoot one or the other.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You just have to know what you're doing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Fixed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thing is, it's not unheard of to have a rifle that will shoot both equally well. But it may take a bit more fooling around to get one or the other bullet to group tight, but it can happen.

Ya, up to the point where you've run enough paper through the barrel to SPOIL it's GG edge.

Maybe we should all shut up, and get "Carbines", running smokelesss ?

GTC

Like "Too Shiny"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You just have to know what you're doing.

Witness, here, my scholarly treatise on how to break firing pins in a '74 Sharps.

I, Swwwwwwwwwwwwampman1, or Swampman700, or WTF I am supposed to be,... (giddy two shoes with a stupid hat and a cannon ?) beyond any shadow of doubt going to spoken about (albeit with contempt) in BPCR circles for at LEAST the next 2 minutes

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/14/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you need any help with your Sharps issues let me know.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, by Swampvagina's own admission of "don't take anything I post seriously" about covers this buffoon's recommendations on anything, except in the area of "How to dress like a dork with goofy hats and even dorkier clothes." the doofus is a total loser.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Hope my rifle has a chamber cut that's compatible for both types, I'm kinda spooked, my rifle shoots the Paul Jones 540 gn. Creedmoor grease groove bullet cast 20 to 1 very well.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm willing to help you, but you will have to admit to yourself that you need it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hummmm...Just figured out how I'll convince the other half that I need another rifle..A guys gotta have one for greasers and a second for PP, yeah that's the ticket.. I'll just blame it on crossfire! wink

Woody
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think I need to say something here. I have one of the 45-70 Shilohs with a 20 twist barrel and the Borchardt chamber. It shoots absolutely lights out with either greasers or paper patch, and is not picky about which bullet you shoot, or what granulation you feed it. One of the best things about it is that it puts the first shot out of a clean barrel in the center of the group first time, every time.

I also have a Shiloh 45-70 with an absolutely stock and standard off the shelf chamber and an 18 twist barrel. It has just over 28,000 rounds on it, and shoots both paper patched bullets and greasers very well. The accuracy edge in this rifle has to go to the greasers and it is cranky on the first shot with greasers. The first three, actually, but it settles down on the fourth shot and will shoot the rest of them on top of each other all day long. It is a silhouette rifle primarily, as in silhouette, you get sighters, and this gives this rifle the opportunity to settle down before you go for score. Cranky first shot aside, I carried this rifle to South Africa for plains game last October and it gave a very good account of itself with the Lyman 457121 480 grain flatnose bullet and 66 grains of KIK 3f.

Now, here comes the kicker. I also have a Shiloh Number 3 Sporter in 45-70 with the standard 18 twist barrel and chamber, and I have recut the leade from the standard 45 degrees to 7 degrees. It shoots BOTH paper patch and greasers equally well, and shoots better now than it did with the standard chamber.

I have also throated my 45-110 Business Rifle, and it shoots both paper patch and greasers better than it did before throating.

I have targets with groups from each of these rifles shot both just before and just after throating. The targets all show a clear cut advantage to the throated chambers in each rifle.

Bottom line, according to what my rifles tell me, throating definitely improves accuracy in both paper patch and greasers. I don't know what the result would be if you tried to shoot jacketed bullets, but for sure and certain my cast bullet loads like the shallower leade. I'll never have the answer to that one, as none of my rifles has ever seen a jacketed bullet or smokeless powder, and never will.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 04/14/12.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Actually, by Swampvagina's own admission of "don't take anything I post seriously" about covers this buffoon's recommendations on anything, except in the area of "How to dress like a dork with goofy hats and even dorkier clothes." the doofus is a total loser.

Hey Jorge?

What were we supposed to learn from Swampy's U-Tube extravaganza?

How to open a Sharps action without going to half cock?

How to staple one's target at the bottom so the wind won't blow it?

And you think this may be Swampy's 100 yd. range where he shoots all those one hole groups?

Just curious... crazy

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bout time you chimed in smile . You know my rifle well Bill, should I leave it or have it re-throated?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Sharpsguy, Im gonna roll some paper tomorrow and begin load development Monday morning, weather permitting.

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jorge--I would contact Kirk Bryan at Shiloh and ask him to re cut the leade. He has a reamer for that purpose. You might want to wait until after the 18th, as you need to talk to Kirk directly, as he is attending the NRA Convention and won't be back in Big Timber until then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No need to go to half cock. The firing pin is spring loaded out of the way.

This was to show typical recoil with blackpowder level smokeless loads. The offhand group was excellent though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blah, blah, blah STFU

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GTC I don't think that with modern barrel steels anybody could ever shoot enough paper patched bullets thru it to hurt the rifling. Even if it did somehow round the edges it would just be a matter of running a softer alloy in the greaser.
Most patched shooters either run a grease cookie of some sort or wipe between shots and the wiping solution is generally some sort of slickum so the paper is actually doing the same thing a greaser is supposed to do and that's ride the "film" left in the barrel.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My original does not do very well with gg slugs. It is finicky about PP's but when ya find it ya find it big. I don't see any gg bullet that appears to be worth a schit for the 44. The neck itself is the (very) limiting factor. It does do well with a 450gr PP slug though. It does appear that with the big BP rounds, the heavier the powder charge,the better it does with heavy bullets. I am still playing around with it but it shoots very nicely thank ya very much. A fine big game hunting rifle.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think I need to say something here. I have one of the 45-70 Shilohs with a 20 twist barrel and the Borchardt chamber. It shoots absolutely lights out with either greasers or paper patch, and is not picky about which bullet you shoot, or what granulation you feed it. One of the best things about it is that it puts the first shot out of a clean barrel in the center of the group first time, every time.

Is that as in Al Story's (Siver City, N.M.) "Borchardt Chamber" ?

Just a mite curious....

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ET this bullet would likely shoot very well in your 44-90.
[Linked Image]

For a grease groove bullet to shoot in your original it would need to be much like this 44 bullet, little if any driving band and tapered. The bullets cast by Ideal were this nose style but they were not bore rider bullets they were the same diameter from base to ogive and the lube grooves were simply grooves into the bullet.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GTC I don't think that with modern barrel steels anybody could ever shoot enough paper patched bullets thru it to hurt the rifling. Even if it did somehow round the edges it would just be a matter of running a softer alloy in the greaser.
Most patched shooters either run a grease cookie of some sort or wipe between shots and the wiping solution is generally some sort of slickum so the paper is actually doing the same thing a greaser is supposed to do and that's ride the "film" left in the barrel.

Remember that I've looked at some pretty competitive wink Badgers with an honest 13,000 BP CB GG rounds down em' at 26X, on a comfortable chair, with a coffee or beer close by, time of day depending.
Having done so I can assure you that ALL of the circumferential marks that one will find in the BEST hand lapped barrel are at that point GONE, and everything (including some marks that the barrel maker did NOT install) now looks "Longitudinal"..
Chro-Mo notwithstanding, it is ONLY steel, and not all that hard to re-adjust, finish wise.

When discussing optimum finish, PP v. GG, I'm talking about Mirror V. "Matte".

Ask Ernie, or ask why the old Slug gun and Schuetzen guys would pizz in their barrels, and leave em' so topped up to "Etch" them,....when GG accuracy started to go off.

Not trying to screw with minds here, we have a self appointed mascot in a stupid hat handling the detail. What I'm putting up is NOT mine, more like a compilation of tech writing maybe pushing 200 years of age,....and no more.

An "Etched" barrel shoots Greasers better than one mirror smooth.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it would. I am just extremely careful to keep the powder/wad column IN the neck itself and that cuts down on how deep I can seat and how many lube grooves it can have. It appears that at least 1 lube groove is seated out and for hunting ammo that ain't such a good idea.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No need to go to half cock. The firing pin is spring loaded out of the way. That said, we must all now observe that the sidelock does NOT have a "Rebounding Hammer" Feature. That dismisses the "Spring loaded pin" feature, I guess. I'm just STUCK on stupid, and proving it moreso with every peck I make.

(Edited for coherency, and the safety of rookies reading this idiot's spew,.... GTC)

This was to show typical recoil with blackpowder level smokeless loads. The offhand group was excellent though.

You're a blithering idiot.

As noted a DANGEROUS blithering idiot.

Monday, I'm going to send your "no need to go to half Cock" directive directly to Pedersoli, and post their reply here.

Do you think you're running in some sorta goddam vacuum ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Et, I actually have to seat that bullet to the driving band for it to chamber. The rounds shown in that picture all 100 of em had to be pulled, the powder compressed just a bit and the bullet reseated.(hornady's inertia puller works very well)
I compress the wad to the base of the neck and the bullet just sits on it. Moa at 300 yds and beyond is pretty hard to arque with, and sure throws cold water on the "you can't compress powder in a bottle neck".

Last edited by Ranch13; 04/14/12.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Maybe it would. I am just extremely careful to keep the powder/wad column IN the neck itself and that cuts down on how deep I can seat and how many lube grooves it can have. It appears that at least 1 lube groove is seated out and for hunting ammo that ain't such a good idea.

Jim, you might be amazed at how rough the BPCR ammo with several more than "just one Groove seated out" gets treated, and how well it shoots, and how well the barrels stand up to said rough abuse, in real BPCR competition environments.

I'd venture that "hunting" is a lot gentler on the ammunition, and the rifles.

Crap sakes, we shoot all those "Exposed grooves" in the DESERT, in the wind, and it's not like there's little "Ammo Maids" bringing us each round from some hermetically sealed chamber, the chit is out in the blowing DIRT, before getting loaded.

Really FAILING to see why one would not throw a wrap of waxed paper or (gasp) aluminum foil around the area so concerned, carry the stuff and SHOOT it.

BDDT

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/14/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500

Hope my rifle has a chamber cut that's compatible for both types, I'm kinda spooked, my rifle shoots the Paul Jones 540 gn. Creedmoor grease groove bullet cast 20 to 1 very well.

Gunner

Gunner the worst you'ld have to do is to shoot a groove diameter bullet, the only really down side to that is having to seat them deep like a greaser. Of course taking up powder space in that 3 1/4 isn't all that bad of a thing to happen either. crazy

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greg no problem with the slick barrel, just shoot some pyrodex and don't clean for a day or two.... problem solved. laugh

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hummmm...Just figured out how I'll convince the other half that I need another rifle..A guys gotta have one for greasers and a second for PP, yeah that's the ticket.. I'll just blame it on crossfire! wink

grinYer Hunney will go into shock that ya AIN'T blamin' me!!! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

grinYer Hunney will go into shock that ya AIN'T blamin' me!!! grin

Oh she does pard BIG TIME grin She gets real nervous whenever she sees me on the puter with the plastic in hand!"OK now what you gotta have for that "watcha ma callit" rifle that Jim talked you into!" shocked whistle

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinI would hazard a guess that if'n you had a large pic of my mug, it would end up as ground zero on her dartboard!! grin Then SHE would get to see how tight a group she could get! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know about that but I do know she covets your Buffler robe!

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What Buffler robe?
That hairy thing was just ET with his shirt off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinNOW you have your "in" grin Tell her dere is only one way to git a buffler robe and that is to go kill a buffler wid a buffler gun grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by maarty

What Buffler robe?

Ya mean this?? grin

[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GTC--I don't know how Al Story's "Borchardt Chamber" is configured, so I can't make a comparison.

A friend of mine has two original Sharps barrels taken from Borchardt military muskets. We did chamber casts of these and used the casts to spec a reamer to cut that chamber. My 45-70 Business Rifle has its chamber cut like those originals.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is where you guys Luck Out bigtime Bill. There ain't many od Sharps around here as compared to the central west from Texas to Montana. In fact I would have a doubt that there are very many 44-90 barrels around to make a good reamer from (Our compadre Kurt IS a lucky [bleep]-he had one)for the new rifles' chambers. I don't think there are very many 44/90 men out there.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What Buffler robe?

Maarty don't remind me probably have to see that at antelope camp this fall eek........and the tiger grin

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Gunner

Gunner the worst you'ld have to do is to shoot a groove diameter bullet, the only really down side to that is having to seat them deep like a greaser. Of course taking up powder space in that 3 1/4 isn't all that bad of a thing to happen either. crazy

10-4 Ranch, and it may not be advisable, but before I learned of the powder compression dies, i loaded my 120 with FFFG, and the 540 GG bullet, accuracy was excellent, and uniformity was within 8 fps with an average of 5 shots.

Dont all grades of BP have relatively the same burn rate, power or pressure is controlled with granule size?

And after spending a few days with ET at the boar hunt, I gotta give PP bullets a very serious and determined try. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The more F's the faster the powder burns, the higher the velocity and pressures.
Biggest problem with going with the smaller powders in the big cases it burns hotter heats the barrel up quicker and can cause some really serious fouling problems.
1f would be my pick of the liter in the 3 1/4, plenty of velocity and hold the recoil to more manageable levels, with likely less hard fouling.

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Preshade it Ranch, but if I use my new powder compression die, do you have any idea what [F]or grade the FG may be ground or crushed to after i compress it?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It'll be ground to flour just like 3f is, but due to the bulk of the powder coming from the can you won't be able to put as heavy a charge in with the 1f as the 3.
With my Lyman 55 measure, if I set it to throw 68 grs of Goex Cartridge, it will also drop 70 grs of 2f express and 72grs of 3f express.
If I were going to shoot 3f in the 3 1/4, I'ld only use enough to just make firm contact with the fully seated wad and bullet, maybe no more than 1/10 or less compression.

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Ranch, I have some Goex FG, but when I have time I'm gonna drive up to Clarksville Arkansas, ang get a load of the KIK powders as well, my rifle sure like Swiss FFFG through a drop tube and the 540 GG at 1500 fps.

The PP bullets wont be seated very deep in the 3 1/4" case, so the bigger granulation will indeed help.

Gunner

Oh hey Ranch, do you guys measure by weight or volume?

Last edited by gunner500; 04/15/12.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I set the measure by weight and then let it load the volumne. When I use FFG Express,I get a nice balance between the volumne,power and fouling.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thankee much ET, you do know your responsible for my attempted surgery on 9# Onion paper today dontcha grin shocked

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LMAO

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
GTC--I don't know how Al Story's "Borchardt Chamber" is configured, so I can't make a comparison.

A friend of mine has two original Sharps barrels taken from Borchardt military muskets. We did chamber casts of these and used the casts to spec a reamer to cut that chamber. My 45-70 Business Rifle has its chamber cut like those originals.

Reason I'd asked is that I remember sending Al my .45 reamer prints in 2002. I'd stopped in at his place on the way back to Az. from Raton, and we discussed chambering in some detail,.....

The thing to bear in mind as one wades through this chambering game is to design your Boiler Room area around brass that is commonly available TODAY. Original freebores, tapered throats and leade angles are the real articles of interest one's looking for, and more likely to want to replicate.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
[Linked Image]

I see's ya neighbor LOL, got me a pair of them there sticks on the way too wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No need to go to half cock. The firing pin does not move forward unless you pull the trigger and push forward on the hammer while holding the trigger down. You just have to understand how firearms work. You could probably find someone locally to show these things.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Just rolled out my first ones last night Biebs, its cake man, gonna load 'em up and test fire this week wink

Sent pics to ET, for grading my work shocked cry

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Good to know...I don't exactly have the hands of a surgeon. Hey, I have some feelers out on a Shiloh Montana Roughrider in 45-70 and a Shiloh Long-Range in 45-90. Pretty soon :-)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'll admit the Wifey got me set up with a S/S scalpel and a self healing cutting pad of about 10X12", and was told what I needed by the experienced PP hands right here, and got all the supplies from Buffalo Arms.

And good luck on the hunt for a rifle, Evil Twin busted a moose and a buffalo with his Sharps, you gonna use one for yours?

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Dunno...my Bansner Ultimate in 375 RUM is all ready to go...hate to disappoint. Hey, i hear tell you're making progress on the Mozambique Buff hunt!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-roger on the custom killa wink

Leanin' real hard on the Buff deal.

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Mozambique....like hunting Africa in the 1920s.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
UH-HUH wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couple of pretty good deals here,http://www.blackpowderspg.com/classifiedads.html,including a 44-77.

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
There's also an older guy in town with a 50-140 Sharps, with dies, brass, and a few bullets, I'm guessin' that would be more of the same, as in my 45-120...not necessary, and harder to load for?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good to know...I don't exactly have the hands of a surgeon. Hey, I have some feelers out on a Shiloh Montana Roughrider in 45-70 and a Shiloh Long-Range in 45-90. Pretty soon :-)

If these are two that are currently on the Shiloh website (for immediate purchase, BTW), either of those rifles would be sweet. For a hunting & long range target combo rifle, my suggestion would be for the 30" hvy barrel and a steel shotgun buttplate. 45-70 would be the typical "starter" chambering, but 45-90 has a bit more testosterone factor and about the same learning curve. Beyond that is very much personal preference. Hope your search is short . . . and your possesion is soon wink.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gunner pick it up cheap then sell all the accessories to pay for a rebarrel. cool

www.historicshooting.com
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
There's also an older guy in town with a 50-140 Sharps, with dies, brass, and a few bullets, I'm guessin' that would be more of the same, as in my 45-120...not necessary, and harder to load for?

Gunner

Man, that .50-140 Sharps would be a fire belching, butt kicking sucker... grin

Does the "older" dude still shoot it?

I remember reading about Buffalo Bill's .50-70 Trapdoor he used to hunt buffalo. He reportedly ran his horse along side the buffalo, shot them point blank with "Lucrezia Borgia", the gun's name, and often the buffalo hide would catch on fire from the blast.

Wonder what all that 140 version would burn...? shocked

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL Gents, I dont think the old guy shoots it, IIRC it weighs around 13 lbs, and he had some 600+ grain GG bullets for it, with a tang sight, buckhorns, RCBS dies, and a pile of brass, kinda like the set-up I found only bigger.

I would load up and hunt that monster in a NY sec. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gunner pick it up cheap then sell all the accessories to pay for a rebarrel. cool

And what would ya recommend for a re-barrel Ranch, 45-90?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No I'ld probably do a 16lb 44-90 or 45-100 for long range work.

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A big 10 on the fire breathin' truck axle laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those slugs looked purty good. Do they start easily by fingers into the case??

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, I used the pope tool on the brass to prep, havent sized any at all, and the hulls fit the chamber nice and snug, will powder, compress powder, wad, grease cookie, then wad again, insert bullet by hand with a right hand downward twist, then put a slight taper on the case, just enough to keep it from falling outta the case while its riding in my belt laugh

Gunner

edit: spelling

Last edited by gunner500; 04/16/12.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No I'ld probably do a 16lb 44-90 or 45-100 for long range work.

All the "Mystique" of the 44-90 considered, the .45-100 would be the WISER choice, as in MOLDS available, and a whisker more practicality.

It IS the Creedmoor cartridge, and .200" of case length becomes moot, when cases are all starting to look like Panatellas.

That Said,....I Sure am listening to the clean burn, low foul, low SD, and just all around EFFICIENCY that you bottleneck owner - ops are getting.

I reckon those bottle necks are genning up more PRESSURE, and hence, fouling less.

Semper Coonass.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I already got the original creedmoor cartridge, so it's only natural to go after the second one (44-90). The sharps effort to go seperate from Remington (2.6 st case) was the 3rd creedmoor cartridge.
Besides ever tom dick an harry in the country can shoot a 45-xxxxxx, but not many are shooting the real buff and match cartridges..
Couple of years ago at Alliance in some rather typical crappy wind conditions there were only 2 guns that ran the 1k target, a 50-90, and a 44-90.....

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dang, You Gents got me thinkin' shocked and thats never a good thing.......so what is the ultimate all game/target chambering for a '74 Sharps rifle?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
so what is the ultimate all game/target chambering for a '74 Sharps rifle?

Gunner

Pick one any one. grin... they've about all had their day. Alot of the old dead guys swore by the 40-90 bottleneck, others thought the 44's were the be all end all, and still yet there were champions of all the 45 cartridges.

shocked Come to think of it, it's still pretty much that way... laugh

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I already got the original creedmoor cartridge, so it's only natural to go after the second one (44-90). The sharps effort to go seperate from Remington (2.6 st case) was the 3rd creedmoor cartridge.
Besides ever tom dick an harry in the country can shoot a 45-xxxxxx, but not many are shooting the real buff and match cartridges..
Couple of years ago at Alliance in some rather typical crappy wind conditions there were only 2 guns that ran the 1k target, a 50-90, and a 44-90.....

You may be right,

......... I drove my pickup by a 44-90 a coupla' days ago, all of the dirt fell off it, the exhaust note smoothed out, the quality of the radio speakers improved, and it's been getting better mileage, since.

I think a coupla' dents have popped out , too.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sure could be, those bottlenecks are magical boogers.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Tennis Elbow eased up a bit, too.

I better tool up for .44

gtc

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gunner, buy it and shoot it as is.At 13 lbs it won't be that bad, mine only weighs 10. You get a Buffalo Arms prone model recoil shield and take Tylenol Extra Strength 30 minutes up front before you go to shooting. 10-30 rds per session does seem plenty though. There used to be alot of them, until some shot them and couldn't deal with them. They all got rebarreled too whiner cartridges everybody has.If it's a Shiloh its old enough to have a 1 in 36" twist so stay in the under 600 gr range. Good luck Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heh!! If ANYONE here buys and shoots a 50/140 lemme know so's I can buy stocks in the powder companies. Yer gonna make me RICH!! grin THAT cartridge could be fairly easily brought into the range of the Brit African rounds. The CLASSIC buffler killers were 44/77,44/90,50/90 and the 45/110. The 40/90's seem to have had their users mostly in Montana. From what I have been able to find, the weren't overall as popular as the Big 45 because they lacked knockdown and required several shots to put down the shaggies. Those old boys wuz tightassed on expenses and wouldn't want to use the lead and powder unnecessarily.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang, You Gents got me thinkin' shocked and thats never a good thing.......so what is the ultimate all game/target chambering for a '74 Sharps rifle?

Gunner
ET has studied the old writings as much as anybody. Do you have a copy of Getting a Stand? Very entertaining and although not a technical treatise on the loading and shooting of Sharps rifles, certainly a must-have as to understanding the mindset of those involved in the great hunt.

You've probably been to Wannenmacher's. The number of Sharps rifles for sale there is outstanding. Seems as if I'm seeing more and more Shiloh's for sale. I guess it's just them finally getting out there in quantities and/or maybe some of the guys that bought them are dying off and the guns are coming up for sale. For many years you never saw one for sale in regular gun shop/show circles.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, ET and i have discussed several writings on the Sharps rifles, and last Sunday, he advised me of all the great offerings in the Buffalo Arms catalog.

I will most likely sit tight for now, my 45-120 has been very accurate with the 540 gn GG bullets, if I can develope a satisfactory PP load, it will have to be more than enough for the game fields, I run the 540 GG's at 1550 fps.

Got mired up and couldnt make Wannemacher's this spring, but you can bet what I'll be lookin' for this fall wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Final truth-There ain't any critters walkin' that these cannons won't kill. The big 45's are really devastating.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
RAH-JAH that ET grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I received some PP bullets from Sharpsguy today that are supposed to be the cat's meow. Will load this weekend and report back!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
+1 Jorge wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 45 2 7/8 didn't come out till 77 it's doubtfull there were many of them shooting buffalo prior to 78.It's first intent was as a long range target gun.Also the 2 7/8 was loaded by the factory with a 283 gr express load.By the time the 2 7/8's fully made it to the west, most of the hiders had also turned to meat shooting, and thus the smaller calibers were used.
The 44's and the 50's accounted for more buffalo than any of the others.
Cruise thru the little county museums out here, and if they have a sharps it more likely to be a 40, 44 or a 50, with a few smatterings of 45's on display.
I attribute most of the 2 7/8's reputation to the same thing we see today.... If you follow most of the writings everybody uses a 300 magnum of some sort, but a reality check in most hunting camps will turn up way more 270's and 06's etc....
Also keep in mind when Sharps changed ownership and moved to Bridgeport, they would not barrel one in anything other than 45 except on special order, except for the midrange guns and those were 40.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 45's hit their stride mostly on the Northern Herd hunts. Mine was used in Wyoming from '78-83. SOME I have seen sales invoices for in early '77 on the panhandle. The ammo supplied for hunters had a 500 gr PP over 100 grians. Buffler hunters loaded it up to 120 grains and 550.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes there were some 2 7/8's but they weren't many of them , the other chamberings were in greater numbers, mostly due to the longevity.
I think Sharps really dinked themselves when they dropped the other chamberings and only offered the 45 as standard.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One other thing folks tend to gloss over and misread , is the "nothern herd and the southern herd"
It's very important to remember that there were meat hunters providing meat to Bozeman , Virgia City Mt, and other such places fully a decade prior to Dixon and co. getting into their little scrape in north Texas.
Fetterman and Co were wiped out at Ft. Kearney a bit before they started writing dimestore novels about some kid in Kansas shooting buffalo to feed the railroad crews.And that's about the time Cheyenne got street lights.
So to gloss past the "northern herd" as something that came after the southern herd is in fact not quite right, and what ever Sharps, Remington, Ballard etal had available from the 1860's and even into the 40's (remember they founded Salt Lake City in 1847) played a bigger part in the "hunt" than did the last two years of the Sharps co...

Last edited by Ranch13; 04/17/12.

www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well ET while the 50-140 uses a lot of powder per cartridge I've yet to see anyone take one out and shoot alot of cartridges thru one at any one time. I shot about a 110 loads in 3 days at the Quigly shoot a few years back. That's about as many as I ever went thru in a short period of time. You tend to get enuf of one fairly quick. As far as the 40-90 SBN goes,from what I have read their popularity was mainly from their flatter trajectory. I don't think the buff hunters gave a rats *ss about humane 1 shot kills in 5 seconds or 25 minutes as long as they died close the stand.We don't think like that today, it was just business to them. Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Powder and lead were a buff hunters expense. They were cheap bastards that way. It wuzn't anything about humane, it wuz about being able to get a stand and that means not having a hit buffler take off thereby stampeding the entire pod.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I just wanna shoot a Buffler.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Powder and lead were a buff hunters expense. They were cheap bastards that way. It wuzn't anything about humane, it wuz about being able to get a stand and that means not having a hit buffler take off thereby stampeding the entire pod.

They weren't cheap they were poor. During the height of the buffalo hunt the country was in a severe depression. Money was never really easy to get, and it got harder during the depression. Most of them started out with whatever gun they had and then hoped to make enough money to improove their rig. There are a number of accounts of folks using a shotgun loaded with buck and ball to kill buff.They were young and starving and didn't have anything to loose, so away they went on the big adventure.
Looking at the ledger accounts of what it cost some of those guys to outfit their rig, and then what they got back when the got the hides in.... not much profit. But they had to kill the buff to skin it so they used what ammo they had to, and if they had all ran out and bought new rifles or had their old ones refitted when the newest latest greatest thing came along, Sharps wouldn't have gone broke twice in in the 1870's.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Youz guys all gangin' up on *** You are ignoring this user *** and I can't make heads or tales of it. Didn't misspell that either.

Short cases, long chambers is silly exercise, be it from .22 RFs to .45-whatevers. Accuracy is always the victim. Like a drive-by, might as well hold the gun sideways.

There's a fella out near Gillette I hear is shooting a -110 for long range work and seems to do pretty well with it, but mortals probably wouldn't benefit from effort right off. He says he paper patches but it's near about as thin as smoke. I don't know his velocities, or for that matter what guys get with black propelled Hindenburgs. Here...see the target? Me neither...

[Linked Image]

Knew a fella once getting 1800 fps with 510 grains paper patched and RX7 in a .45-70. -kaff- Remarkably accurate too.
Was not a Sharps or roller...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kenny shoots 1F goex express in that rifle with a 446 bullet from a Baco mould. Believe he said his velocity runs around 1320.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Knew a fella once getting 1800 fps with 510 grains paper patched and RX7 in a .45-70. -kaff- Remarkably accurate too.
Was not a Sharps or roller...

Reloader 7? High Wall or a #1?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
-Kaff- Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle. Watched him shoot it over a Chrony a number of times when he was working up loads and printing smallish 100 yard groups. Probably ought to have kicked like a mule but it didn't. Less bother than a little Winchester Trapper I have.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You shooting that corbin bullet w/o paper or lube? That's brave. What powder? What accuracy?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Paper patched, 50/50 beeswax/Vaseline on the patch. Why would you think otherwise? Now and then Brent, I don't have a clue where you're coming from and this would be one of those times.

As stated previously, RX7. Don't know the load he used but recall it was somewhere in the 30-something grain range. I would characterize accuracy at 100 yards as MOA'ish. Sometimes a fraction more and sometimes a bit less.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by BrentD
You shooting that corbin bullet w/o paper or lube? That's brave. What powder? What accuracy?

I see a bit of white patch just above the case mouth in the photo.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn nice expansion DD, do you know if those are pure lead, or 20/30 to 1?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't recall the alloy clearly but it did have a small portion of tin. Thinking less than 1:20 but not certain. Soft regardless. These bullets were recovered from the berm at 100 yards. Fine sandy loam slightly damp but not wet.

I've had similar experience with pure lead bullets from a paper patched .44 Mag, so there isn't much difference in hardness of the alloy.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-roger, thank you Sir, thinkin' this PP Sharps rifles is gonna be a full on blast, i want to enjoy shooting and hunting with iron sight rifles as long as my sight holds out.

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Paper patched, 50/50 beeswax/Vaseline on the patch. Why would you think otherwise? Now and then Brent, I don't have a clue where you're coming from and this would be one of those times.

I see no paper. You show a naked bullet and a loaded cartridge with no paper showing. It is not hard to deduce that it is at least plausible. A few have tried. Thought you might have found magic. What's so hard to understand?

I'm about to try paper patching and black in an 1893 Marlin. So, I was interested. Pretty simple...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not plausible in my world and there is a smidge of paper showing FWIW. Luck with your 1893.

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well there ya go. I don't see paper. I see something that looks more like light shining on the ogive of the bullet. But, hey, if you say it's paper, it's paper.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW there is a Shiloh #1 .45-70 for sale in the classifieds

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Given that the Single shot "Rifle Musket" version appeared in 1871, and that a bucket load of "Sporters" were available in Germany that year, I'd like to toss the "43 Mauser" into this compendium of "BP Killing Machines",....

I'm reasonably comfortable venturing that NUMEROUS Western "Game Animals" were laid low during the period discussed, by that reasonably pleasant and manageable cartridge.

BIG Canadian Moose ?

NEVER recovered a bullet from my somewhat "Sporterized" '71-84', classic broadside shots being the ones I chose, there being no particular rush,at that time.The admittedly lighter .43 bullet would quite handily break a rib going in, and one on the way out, repeatedly, no fuss, no muss = DEAD Moose.

ANY properly loaded "BPCR" in the .40 caliber and above realm will kill large animals in the grazing / ungulate realm.

"D.G." is a completely different area, and there IS a reason that a LOT of old timers called out "8-Bores", and larger.

Worth thinking about.

When is somebody going to point out the false trail laid down so far about Tin, and "Bullet Hardness" here ?

Antimonials are just kinda' vaguely being hinted at, as far as I can see.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/21/12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

When is somebody going to point out the false trail laid down so far about Tin, and "Bullet Hardness" here ?

GTC

Please help me out here, I was always under the impression that a certain amount of tin added to lead bullets increased hardness and helped improve penetration by controlling the mushrooming of the bullet i.e. pure lead being soft it expanded too fast for reliable deep penetration particularly on thick skinned animals.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Marrty antimony is a hardener. Tin will add to hardness but tins main function to the alloy is better fill out while casting. Some guys use alloys that have antimony but most use a pure lead with tin content ie (40 to 1) parts lead to parts tin for blackpowder use. Having an alloy that you know the exact makeup of allows you to repeat it. Magnum Man

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

GTC

Please help me out here, I was always under the impression that a certain amount of tin added to lead bullets increased hardness and helped improve penetration by controlling the mushrooming of the bullet i.e. pure lead being soft it expanded too fast for reliable deep penetration particularly on thick skinned animals.

OK

Q.) Does Tin "Affect Hardness"

A.) YES, but only in a marginal sense, and it's addition has WAY more to do with "castability".

Q.) Is there a "Point of diminishing Return" with pure Lead / Tin alloys

A.) Yup, at anything richer than 16:1 you're just wasting tin,......on any measuring scale known, richer than 16:1 adds NO "Additional Hardness"

Q.) So why the term "Tinning" when we discuss "Soldering".

A.) Drive a bunch of overly "tin rich" down a barrel a bit to fast, and you'll learn why Sulphurics are used to FLUX "Solders" and how your "Leading Problem" can be self induced, a combination of 2 basic material characteristics

Q.) SO, why bother with TIN AT ALL ?

A.) CASTABILITY, FIRST AND FOREMOST, and than the kinda' NEAT ability to "fine tune" your "As Cast bullet diameter, when working in a new Bore size, or some oddball cartridge load development area.

Q. How about Antimony ?

A.) Great stuff, intriguing and totally unstable affects on bullet hardness, e.g. "Age Hardening",....v. "Age Softening"
KILLS Monks that use it to harden type, ands it's fumes WILL [bleep] you right up, too. Once it's in your BEST alloy pot,and on your ladles / molds, nothing short of a thermonuclear device will totally remove it.
Admittedly A damned VALUABLE (cheapo) way to sneak up on "Solids" performance in a CB.
REAL BPCR shooters tend to avoid the chit like the plague.

Q.) So, is there a good supply of "Pure Lead" and "Pure Tin" available, at this time ?

A.)Lead,.... No ,......and if you price out "Lab Grade" Lead (99.999 pure) you better be sitting down,....
Tin, Yes, but no longer anything approaching "Cheap".

Back tomorrow, .....and to discuss "The Wisdom of LARGE Batches, when blending BPCR Alloys"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you both, this is exactly why I like reading these threads.
Plenty of good reliable advice from people who know what they are talking about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
very interesting stuff, all right. I deal with metals and alloys all day, but usually in steel & nickel alloys, so it is interesting to read of how they behave with lead and its alloying elements.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maarty,Cross gave you the basic characteristics of the alloys. I'll try to give you the practicalities. lead/tin gives a very decent combination of the right amount of hardness and castability. Look, at BPC velocities, 20:1 is damn near the same as a solid in smokeless guns. I never could fathom why a guy would NOT choose a 458 Win Magnum solid for elk or buffler but would use a hardcast slug for the same critters. It WILL behave the same. When you use about a 30:1 lead/tin, you get penetration as good as a cannon shell AND decent expansion. Remember we are using massive bullets. for a 45 they are usually 520-550 grains. Now another facot sneaks in. I use paperpatched bullets for 99% of my shooting. A softer (30:1) alloy will allow the BP charge to "slug" (upset) the undersize( about .001-.002)bullet into the rifling very nicely. Match shooters who use gg slus generally want their slugs a mite harder but about 18:1 seems about right. If a hunter wants gg bullets,30:1 is still a good way to travel. Sized right and lubed up well makes for some pretty good critterkillers.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a Sunday Morning "Tech Tip"

If you are wanting to make some REALLY nice, e.g. "Special" bullets, find yourself a roll of Harris Welco "Staybright" Low Temp Silver solder.

It's a Vacuum Chamber blended Alloy, 95% Tin, 5% SILVER, and not all that expensive. Brownell's calls it "Force 44" and charges the chit outta' ya' for it. Welding suppliers usually have the stuff at best pricing you're gonna find.

So, at that 95% Tin content, just make up or adjust to your normal blending ratios, factoring 105% Tin Weight, versus your normal 100%. You will NEVER cast prettier, shinier, and more uniform (by weight)bullets.

WERE I lucky enough to be going after an African or Asian Buff, or some such, I'd damn sure justify the little additional expense.

........and then of course, there's always the chance that one may occasionally have to deal with a pesky lycanthrope. eek

Best Regards, GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinThat's what I like!! Versatility!! grin Always good to be able to handle them thar werewolves!! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ET, Greg, thank you both for your recent posts. Knowing things and expressing them clearly are on occasion a bit of a challenge for me. Still not so old I can't learn a new trick now and then...if someone is willing to teach the class.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.