Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Too kind BSA, I've seen photos of your bedding jobs and they are second to none.

Something clever here.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can't believe I've seen this thread hundreds of times, yet this is the first day I've ever looked at it. I very much enjoyed it, and learned something along the way. My late favorite uncle gave me an old A3 Springfield 30-06 over 25 years ago, that just hasn't ever shot well. This may be a good time to try your method Dave. Looks like you got that 264 dialed in. I hope this -06 is half that good when I'm done. Thanks for the help.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
J
I glassed/floated my M77 back in the 80s and it sure made a difference. IIRC, the Brownells kits were good for about two jobs back then.

In addition to the release agent, it's a good idea to coat screw threads with paste wax or grease.

Sorry if this was in the thread, I haven't read all of it, but you should also clean out the thread impressions in the glass with a round file or something. Keeps things from twisting when the guard screws are tightened.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
"Clemson" on MauserCentral.com has some excellent pic tutorials on gunsmithing. Site is most interesting and you can learn a lot.
Excellent pics of your work in progress. Good Luck.

Well laid out plan. OD

Old Doug
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Codave101
First off i whant to thank you northern Dave for your DIY Bedding post. I read it several times and followed every thing you did. done My Vangaurd 257 wetherby. took it from 1.5" to 5/8" with factory 120 grain patitions at 100 yards. Now i will try working up some reloads. this was the first time for me to bed a stock. would have never tride it on my own if it wasent for your post.Thanks for the DIY post.

I agree but I have to add a little. Dave is a great guy and his bedding thread has probably helped many here who may have been scared to take the plunge. It's a great guide and Dave is very helpful to those who have questions. I've been bedding rifles for a long time and this thread is a good one. Thanks Dave.....

A-men! This post really does help. I've had a bedding kit on top of my safe for 2 months. These pics are more informational than the booklet that came with the kit. Im going tot take a crack at it with a T3. Wish me luck...

Last edited by Mattm907; 04/08/12.
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
What a great thread. I am not a regular contributor on this site but have read daily on this forum for years and try to stay out of the posting side. I just read this from cover to cover and was totally taken in. Dave I really appreciate the time you took on this to help all of us out. Great job!!
Kirk

Last edited by Capt_Kirk; 04/12/12.
G
G
I have done something similar to a rifle and I have 2 roommates that did 3 stocks. one went south very quickly and the other 2 stocks came out very nice. they both shoot sub MOA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag the search feature here is terrible! (Or I can't figure it out)

Anything is better than the Winchester logo.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yesterday I was hogging out some old bedding compound on the stock of my M7 in preparation for re-bedding the action. I had a barrel with a different contour installed and rather than mess around making it work as-is, I decided to start from scratch. Anyway, while I'm not a newbie at bedding, this great thread of Dave's was on my mind all the while.

A great and informative thread, Dave.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ahhh, brings back memories of me and my late brother doing bedding jobs, he always played at gunsmithing and as a mechanic he seemed to always have the knack for doing most anything well.
I did some with him then went out on my own, they worked out great, but to have a thread like this can really help a guy out, especially those that are intmidated by it, it is not too hard, just read the info here and do some research, it is great that Dave has taken the time to post his job.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Please don't forget the release everywhere.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Wish I had found this site and posting a year ago. THank you for the info.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by cdhunt
Please don't forget the release everywhere.

I didn't read every post in this thread,so if I repeat anything I appologize in advance. If you do forget the release agent don't panic. A trick you can try before breaking a stock or buggering anything up is this. Put the whole thing in the deep freezer. We have done this with glued in bench rifles and it often works. The freezing temps will cause the steel to shrink,hopefully enough that a sharp rap with a soft mallet will break it loose. If not,it won't hurt to try it.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
M
M
First of all, thanks Dave. Your post got me off the fence I've been sitting on for the last 10 years. My tang safety Ruger .270 has sat in a Ramline stock since 1987, with the wood stock underneath my bed. I can get sub 3 inch groups at 300 yds with Berger 150 VLD's in "Black Lassie". However, I will be bedding and freefloating the original stock next week thanks to your pic heavy post. If the bedded wood stock can equal the Ramline I will be in heaven. For practice I just bedded (4 hours ago) a 338 win mag action into a Ramline stock which became available for a trial run when I put the action in a Boyd's laminated stock. I hope I can pop it out tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

M
M
Tested the .338 Win Mag in the laminated Boyd's stock this morning. Set up a target and it ranged at 165 yards. Three shot group was .75 inches. This was off the tailgate of my truck with sand bags. I am impressed.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Nice results, congrats!

Something clever here.

M
M
I had recently posted about bedding the original wood stock on my Ruger M-77 and the hoped for results. Better than I thought possible. A 3/8 inch group at 100 yds with my first test load for Berger 140 grain VLD bullets. Thanks again Dave.

W
W
coolI a ruger77 MK2 with factory laminated stock in 243win. I never removed the action from the stock and I never will, it always great shooter.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by walthunter
coolI a ruger77 MK2 with factory laminated stock in 243win. I never removed the action from the stock and I never will, it always great shooter.

It "always great shooter" till the stock cracks out on you. Take it from this old indian. You better bed that sob wink...Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This is the first time I have seen this thread. I have one little tip. I did not read all 34 pages.

If and I mean If your gun needs a pressure point to shoot better. After completing the pressure point and before torquing the action in the stock, place one layer of Teflon tape on the pressure point.

Any movement of the barrel/stock from temperature, moisture will be smoother without ( I guess I'll call it micro rattle) on the contact area.

I know this is getting picky but it does not hurt.

Just my $.02 !

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.