-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could buy a decomissioned sub and bury it! Its got major qualities about it!

Withstands major pressure, doesnt leak, has living quarters, periscope is ubercool points, should have somewhat of a resistance to nuclear radiation. grin

Just joshing, but a shipping container would make an awesome ammo can! Expecially if you could fill it up! wink

Last edited by PAMac; 04/14/12.

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a video of a guy making a shelter out of a 20' Shipping container. He uses a reinforced concrete roof for the shelter and leaves a space around the buried shelter. It might be worth watching to get some ideas of what you need to do. You might need to have a second way out too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EAJex1RVo&feature=fvsr

Harry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about a partial basement with concrete/steel ceiling?

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm not paranoid, but I do enjoy homes with basements, and an addition off of that would be great. I think everyone could use extra storage space. If I were going to build a new home I would be tempted to have some sort of secure area off of the basement. In the last several years we in the south have had more than our share of tornadoes, and some have been within miles of my home. I have had to run a de-humidifier in a basement in the past, and provisions would have to be made for it to be pumped up to grade to drain.

Good Luck,
Rick

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Go for it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will say nothing more....... grin

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by PAMac

Awesome! That guy's ready for the zombie apocalypse. grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If it were me, and tornadoes were the primary concern, I'd build it out of preformed or poured concrete. You said you had slope on the plot so I'm assuming drainage and water table aren't a concern. even if it is you can put a french drain around it. It could also double as a root cellar.

As for moldy, tornado warnings don't usually last more than what, 15 minutes? I can live with moldy that long. Besides, they do make dehumidifiers.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mathsr
You might need to have a second way out too.
An escape door would be good. A buried culvert pipe coming out a couple hundred ft. out in the woods could be advantageous in case you were trapped. Could allow you to get away unseen or get the drop on aggressors from behind and under cover.

G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by PAMac

i bet osama wished he had one

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, there's this thing called a "basement".

Maybe you could look into it, I mean it's just Tornado's and your life and such.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I know some people down south of me burying them in the ground and stocking them with food and ammo. Don't know all the details as how it was done and what precautions they took.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EddyBo
If you were going to build a house and could because of the slope of your lot bury a sea/land cargo containers under it, would you do it?

No.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Why not put in a suspended garage floor, that way you'll have concrete on the floor, walls and ceiling. Requires thicker garage floor and more reinforcing, but would be much better than burying steel that is exposed to dirt. I'm assuming you'll be putting a basement in this house. I know some parts of the country don't have basements in their houses, so if thats the case, a suspended floor won't be an option.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mathsr
This is a video of a guy making a shelter out of a 20' Shipping container. He uses a reinforced concrete roof for the shelter and leaves a space around the buried shelter. It might be worth watching to get some ideas of what you need to do. You might need to have a second way out too.

Didnt read the whole thread, but if you notice in the clip, they didnt backfill around the sides of the container. It will not withstand the horizontal pressure.
We've all seen trucks, hauling the containers, and the sides of the container were bulging out. That was cause from pressure from the inside. Now the earth on the outside will do the same thing, only it will probably be worse. Not saying it will collapse the side walls, but they wont be straight. Given a few years of rust, and they will eventually collapse, if backfilled.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A friend of mine buried one, just about... The roof buckled before he could finish the job. I think the frame of the box can take the load but the coregated steel of the roof aren't designed to support, just enclose...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Originally Posted by Allen917
The sidewalls aren't designed to hold back the dirt. They are designed for vertical loads but not horizontal. I think it would be a big problem for you.

I wanted to do the same thing. The experts said No.

Thank you for the info. That is the kind of info I was hunting. I may have to seek another avenue if I wish to have some sort of shelter.

had a pard that used two of them to make an underground shooting range, don't think he buried them very deep, but do know he buried them and think I'd have heard about it if they'd caved in.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

NO! Burying a shipping container is a bad idea.

Previous responders have pointed out that the walls are not designed to sustain horizontal loading and the roof is not designed to sustain vertical loading. If you want a bunker, then build it right, out of reinforced concrete. Waterproof the walls, roof & floor and make sure you have good ventilation. Don't have to worry about heating or cooling because the thermal inertia of the earth will keep the bunker at 55�F 24/7.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just put in a poured concrete, steel reinforced room in the basement. They can even be built above ground in the garage too.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're safer and better off building just what you want out of reinforced concrete or block; seal and insulate before back-filling.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 1234, 219 Wasp, 49 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,662
Posts18,534,060
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.