Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is it with turkey hunting? When I was growing up in Texas (and living there until the age of 33), most hunting accidents were due to someone "mistaking" another person for a turkey, despite the fact that there were far more deer hunters than turkey hunters in those days.

Louisiana Man Arrested for Allegedly Shooting a Hiker
by OUTDOOR HUB on APRIL 15, 2012
submitted by: LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF WILDLIFE AND FISHERIES NEWS

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Enforcement Division agents arrested a Flatwoods man for allegedly shooting a hiker in Natchitoches Parish on April 12.

Agents arrested Jerry Merrill, 63, for negligent injury and booked him into the Natchitoches Parish Detention Center.

Merrill was turkey hunting on the Red Dirt Federal Refuge around 9 a.m. when he allegedly mistook a hiker for a turkey shooting him with a shotgun. The hiker received minor injuries and was treated and released by emergency workers at the scene.

Negligent injury carries a fine up to $500 and up to six months in jail.

Hunters are reminded that positive target identification is critical for hunter safety and a basic component of legal game harvest.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is the published story...

More than likely, this is closer to the truth...

Hunter is using his call and the hiker wants to see what is making the sound (he may or may not know what the sound is). Hunter and hiker get into argument about hiker ruining the hunt and the hunter took matters into his own hands. Hunter waited until hiker was out of range?, and encouraged the hiker to speed-up the pace, as he left the area!

NO FACTS, JUST READING BETWEEN THE LINES!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think turkey hunters percentage wise are much more likely to shoot at sounds and movement than hunters of other game. Why? I have no idea.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
some people just want to score so bad they actually see target that just aren't there.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
OTOH, some guys on the Fire sound like turkeys all the time.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Or, the dumbazz hiker was wearing black, blue and red (yeah, I've seen that happen).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another "sound shot" I think.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
......."for a turkey shooting him with a shotgun"........

That could have been worded a tad better.......sounds like self defense. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can remember when I lived in Florida from 1959 through 1973 almost every year there was at least one person shot by Turkey Hunters. I see the trend still continues all over Turkey Territory nothing has changed over all these years. It happens no matter where you are no area is exempt from that tragedy.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe Turkey Hunting bring a lot of Newbie's into the sport and they have very little if any hunting experience in the field

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Or, the dumbazz hiker was wearing black, blue and red (yeah, I've seen that happen).

Yeah, that may not be a bright idea, but even dumber to shoot at something because it is the right color without knowing for sure what it is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And then there are some hikers that really are turkeys.

Quando Omni Moritati
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

I think there is a disease worse than buck fever. I call it turkey fever. You can be cured 242, if i squat and you gobble.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
last turkey i shot was with a 300 wm

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
22-250s are great

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only way I can see this happening without the hunter being a complete idiot, is perhaps a stray pellet or two hitting someone way outside of normal shotgun ranges due to an ND into the air or someone trying to shoot a turkey out of a roost.
Shooting at a turkey on the ground and hitting a grown person,OTOH? That's blind idiot work right there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was hunting on state gamelands here in Pa, about ten years back, and had two guys stalking me. scary situation. I'll never hunt turkey on public land again.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

"Turdlike".... in record time

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had some nimrod tresspassing and shot our dove decoys we had sitting on a barbwire fence. He hauled azz before we could collect our wits and catch him. We were 17 and that was the first time I had been on the wrong end of a gun. Buddy and I laid on the ground yelling at him for a minute or two before we got up, never did see the guy.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
anti hunter who didn't like Dove hunters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the obvious question is, how did he mistake a 5 foot tall (plus) human for a 1 foot tall (plus) turkey? Dumb shidts gotta quit shooting at stuff they can't I.D. Sounds like another candidate for the Living Brain Donor Club.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,064
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.