Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I spent the weekend playing with my favorite 243. Last year i could pretty reliably count on 1" or under groups with hand loads, but this year it's just giving me fits. I've probably run through 100 plus rounds over the last 3 days and no matter what I try I can't get it back to a happy place. The best I could do was about 2+" with a flier or 2.

I switched scopes, made sure the scope bases were tight, reset the action screws a couple times, set the trigger a tad heavier, cleaned it 3 times through the process including the Butches copper remover. Now before someone says it's me, I thought of that too so I took a different 243, a 7mm, and my AR and shot sub 1" groups with all of them this weekend, so I doubt it's just that. I never have claimed to be a good shooter but I know what I'm capable of and it's better than what this rifle is giving me.

I bought this gun used, and I've probably put 400 through it in the 3 years I've owned it including the marathon this weekend. I have no idea how many it shot prior to that. What I do know is that I measured the max OAL for the chamber last year and using 70NBTs, I couldn't set the bullet out far enough in the case to touch the lands. That makes me think the barrel may be getting close to toast.

Last year it's pet load (and the one I shot the most this weekend) was 39.2 I3031 under a NBT 70 with a win primer, though I did try a couple other loads that it shot pretty well in the past and they were also sub par. The barrel is free floated and the action is bedded. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Substantially longer COL's tells me the throat is gone on a rifle i've had and shot for a long time.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A barrel is shot out when it no longer groups to my satisfaction, irrespective of the number of rounds through it. Some barrels are shot out when they are brand new. smile

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If it shifts grouping bigger, and you make sure it's not fouled up.

Once cleaned well with no fouling Nnd the groups are still big = the barrels on its way out.

Plus round count should be considered - depending on how much powder you have in the cartridge. 223 ~ 6000 rounds before it starts shooting screwy, more powder = less rounds to burn the bore, I here the 220 swift burns as low as 2000 rounds.

Spot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
one way i like to check bedding is to hold finger at junction of barrel and forend and loosen front action screw, you should feel no movement. sometimes you have to remove the magizine spring to do this as it will sometimes give the barrel a little push up.

Ed

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bbassi
I spent the weekend playing with my favorite 243. Last year i could pretty reliably count on 1" or under groups with hand loads, but this year it's just giving me fits. I've probably run through 100 plus rounds over the last 3 days and no matter what I try I can't get it back to a happy place. The best I could do was about 2+" with a flier or 2.

I switched scopes, made sure the scope bases were tight, reset the action screws a couple times, set the trigger a tad heavier, cleaned it 3 times through the process including the Butches copper remover. Now before someone says it's me, I thought of that too so I took a different 243, a 7mm, and my AR and shot sub 1" groups with all of them this weekend, so I doubt it's just that. I never have claimed to be a good shooter but I know what I'm capable of and it's better than what this rifle is giving me.

I bought this gun used, and I've probably put 400 through it in the 3 years I've owned it including the marathon this weekend. I have no idea how many it shot prior to that. What I do know is that I measured the max OAL for the chamber last year and using 70NBTs, I couldn't set the bullet out far enough in the case to touch the lands. That makes me think the barrel may be getting close to toast.

Last year it's pet load (and the one I shot the most this weekend) was 39.2 I3031 under a NBT 70 with a win primer, though I did try a couple other loads that it shot pretty well in the past and they were also sub par. The barrel is free floated and the action is bedded. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Set the trigger a tad heavier, huh? You mean lighter, dont you, heavier aint gonna do it my friend, lighter, lighter!! haha. As you look down the barrel how do the lands look, pretty pronounced yet or on the flat side? What brand rifle is it out of curiosity? Model etc? 70MKs shoot very well off the lands in my 6mmRem. 700, kinda like this @200yds.[Linked Image]

XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As the throat wears, the lands essentially recede from the chamber. The more jump-sensitive you bullet is, the sooner this will begin to adversely effect accuracy. For a while, you can compensate by increasing OAL, which also might require you to adjust charge weight. But don't forget, as a rule of thumb, the minimum shank seating depth should never be less than the diameter of the bullet.

But regardless of the bullet, eventually the lands will be worn down so far up the barrel that you can't produce the accuracy you want or need. When that happens, when you no longer can coax enough accuracy from it to suit your purposes, your barrel is shot out.

If you weren't aware, in a lot of cases, a good gunsmith can saw off the breech end of a shot-out barrel and ream a new chamber. This might leave the barrel a touch shorter but it also restores the throat to its original dimensions.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can't find the throat (kiss the lands) with sufficient neck grab and/or magazine fit, you are shot out.
Either set it back and rechamber as XL suggests, or time for a new pipe.
I have one barrel in my "junk" pile that shot a .417 for its ceremonial last group. It will be recycled to something else soon enough.
I also have two other set-backs that shoot as good, or better, as new, I don't know how long either will last compared to a brand-new tube, but I am delighted with the outcomes so far.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can't put a mark on the calendar and say okay my barrel is shot. The groups will gradually grow and you'll get the ocassional unexplained flyer. Resetting you COL will someimes bring them back for a while.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have only shot one tube out. It was a 25-06.

It went from consistent 1/2" to 3/4" to over 1" over the years. That was after I started seating bullets way out there.

Travis

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I had a used 22-250 Rem. I put 3,000 rounds through it. One day I could not get under 1", then 1 1/4". I traded it. Next thought. Can ya take it to a gun smith and have the barrel turned in 1" or so?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Known accurate loads go all to hell in a hand basket.

Alan

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I was pretty sure it is shot out, but I'm going to invest another box of bullets and see if I can find a different load that will work for whatever reason while I keep an eye out for a replacement barrel. For those that asked it's a Savage 16 in SS. I'll come across a take off sooner or later on on the savage board and from what I hear, swapping them out isn't a huge deal. I'd consider a higher end barrel, but I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I can't shoot well enough to justify the added expense. smile

For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you know a gunsmith that has a borescope one peek will tell you what you need to know.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've shot out 3 barrels, a .17 Rem, a .204, and a .22-250.

In each case it was a gradual process. Stuff would start to get strange. I'd be out shootin' varmints, everything just going along fine, then all of the sudden I couldn't hit squat. I'd stop by the range on the way home to shoot paper and find that the bullets that landed point first had gray "wings" by the bullet holes and a lot of bullets were tumbling when they hit.

A really good cleaning would temporarily bring the gun back, but the interval between really good cleanings decayed pretty quickly 'til it wasn't worth fighting any longer. Going to a bullet with a heavier jacket can also buy some more barrel life.

I haven't shot out a barrel with any of the lower velocity cartridges so I'm not sure if they do the same thing or not, but with a high velocity (4000 fps range) cartridge, I shoot paper and look for wings by the bullet holes. If I find that, jackets are starting to fail which usually is a result of a throat that's about done.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only shot out one barrel, a 30-06. Owned it for 13 years, shot it alot. Went from a 3/4" shooter, to gradually shooting patterns. Tried a different scope, bedded it, nada. Measured the distance to the lands and it had grown alot. Had a new tube put on it and it is back to shooting great.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bbassi
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I was pretty sure it is shot out, but I'm going to invest another box of bullets and see if I can find a different load that will work for whatever reason while I keep an eye out for a replacement barrel. For those that asked it's a Savage 16 in SS. I'll come across a take off sooner or later on on the savage board and from what I hear, swapping them out isn't a huge deal. I'd consider a higher end barrel, but I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I can't shoot well enough to justify the added expense. smile

Call just about any reputable custom shop, they might have a take-off barrel for you.

N
N
You cleaned 3 times, but it's possible that you might have some hard carbon buildup in there that's surprisingly very resistant to a lot of the really good solvents and brushes. Before spending any $ on a barrel job, get a good dedicated carbon solvent like Carb-Out (same guys that make Wipe-out). Put some in the bore to soak for a few hours then brush or patch it out. You might be surprised at what comes out of the barrel that's been cleaned right before using it. Stuff works great, but I'd try pretty hard not to get any on your skin - it can't be good for you.

Shoots better - Done.

Shoots just as bad or worse, then the bbl is probably pretty fire-cracked around the throat, and you've just cleaned all the hard carbon out of the cracks, effectively making the surface rougher.
This would be a pretty good indication that it's time to see the gunsmith.

Best advice is to find somebody that has a borescope. The .243 has somewhat of a reputation as being hard on throats, and if you have no idea about how many rounds the previous owner had through the gun, there's a decent chance that the barrel might be due for re-chamber or replacement.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Have you done what Ed said to do??
Is your barrel bedded or is it a frew float? If it is a free float, take a dollar big and sea saw it from forend back to the chamber, if you can't get there, that is what I would look at first!! I am not a gun smith and never will be one, I have been shooting H.P. Rifles since the late 60's and, the 243, 30-06, 308 have never been on the list as being easy to burn out, if you have cleaned it good on a regural bases and have not run Super hot reloads, I find it hard to believe that it is shot out.
Like I stated, I am a nobody, and I was only giving you my 2 cents.
Good Luck
Greg

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ace, the barrel is plenty FF. I can run 5 sheets of paper freely between stock and barrel all the way the the nut. I am going to get to a local smith here soon. I talked to him the other day about doing the swap out and I think I'll have him look at it first. All I know is I took 5 rifles out back the other day. 4 shot under an inch with pet loads. This one just won't do it no matter what I've tried.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (1lesfox, 160user, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 21, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,112
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.