Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Too me they are now making no sense. With the combo at 22 ounces, eye relief of 2 inches, a 6 MOA or 3MOA magnified dot (EOtech), is this marginal BS? A Leupold VX-6 1-6 IR in an LT-104 is 22 ounces as well and costs about the same. For near and far 10 Feet to 150 yards I am puzzled regards the advantage of the eotech/aimpoint + magnifier utility.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well, they are kind of like tattoos. Not real pretty, don't serve any good purpose, but make everyone think your tough.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've never run one but have talked to a couple of guys who like the eo-thingy and magnifier. The one minute dot magnified is still smaller than my 4 minute Aimpoint.

Problem that I see is a red dot is for close and fast shooting not precision medium range. Combining the two with a flip type magnifier works great on the close shots and kind of compromises the further shots.

Take a low powered scope and you kind of compromise on the close shots but are better at further shots. I don't think there is a perfect all around solution, that's why I have both...

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I am wondering if the KISS principle would go towards the scope idea, maybe just a fixed power Trijicon. Wingy flappy swivel things have me wondering.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am wondering if the KISS principle would go towards the scope idea, maybe just a fixed power Trijicon. Wingy flappy swivel things have me wondering.

The Marines went with KISS, a fixed power (4-power?) Trijicon, and the Army is playing with the magy/flipy-thingy with their CCOs. The red dots work good for most out to 75-100 meters, the magnifers help to 200-250 meters in situations where you need to reach out a bit further. I'd be interested in what the LE community thinks of the magnifiers.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only purpose i can see if you use the QD mounts you can dump the magnifier at will and still have the red dot the way it was intended to be used

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Problem that I see is a red dot is for close and fast shooting not precision medium range. Combining the two with a flip type magnifier works great on the close shots and kind of compromises the further shots.

Take a low powered scope and you kind of compromise on the close shots but are better at further shots.

This is pretty much it I think. I'm running one of the Larue Po-boy magnifiers behind an aimpoint m3 right now. The combo weighs more than a LPV. (not true of a T1 plus magnifier, btw). Beside the bed in the house, the magnifier isn't even on. When I'm out in the field, I throw it on. It covers all of the bases reasonably well, at a weight cost. The magnifier lets me hit the steel targets on my home range out to 450 yards. Without it, I can't really even pick up the ones that are past 200 yards (they're nestled into a sagebrush hillside). I kind of think of it this way -- if you're going to be running an aimpoint regardless because of superiority inside of 50 yards, the po-boy at $170 used is a reasonable cost effective way to boost your range. If your only option is a magnifier that costs more than a decent leupold, then both an aimpoint and a decent leupold in QD mounts makes a lot more sense. Switch between them based on what you're going to be doing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont get them either. The ones I have used didn't really offer any significant advantage. Especially given the price and weight they add to the rifle.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
this I think makes sense...a Leupold and a Red Dot in QD mounts.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
this I think makes sense...a Leupold and a Red Dot in QD mounts.

That's what I used to do, then I just got another gun... it never ends.

IC B3

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I may just try the Eotech, just to try it, I have never had one. The EXPS3-0 has QD mounts that are supposed to come back to within 2MOA or so.

and then I will buy another gun..and another...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and how the heck do they justify the insanity of the pricing? $500+ for a 2X magnifier? No damn wonder folks buy cheap chinese junk.

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
I've never run one but have talked to a couple of guys who like the eo-thingy and magnifier. The one minute dot magnified is still smaller than my 4 minute Aimpoint.

Take a low powered scope and you kind of compromise on the close shots but are better at further shots. I don't think there is a perfect all around solution, that's why I have both...

Of course on the compromise situation, IIRC my front post covers 18 inches at 300 and 36 inches at 600, yet I could consistently shoot sub MOA groups and call individual shots to within an inch or three at distances.

IE a 4 moa dot would only be a long range handicap if you allow it to be in your head IMHO.

My choice? Its generally always been to have irons and a ghost ring in the rear, and if the need for a precise long range shot comes up, a scope in QD mounts... though I"m not sure of what type of targets we are talking here.

And if I felt the need to magnify a dot or reflex, I'd jsut run optics instead.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
you know the fear that going to all these tactical websites instills is that unless you have some kind of an optic you are not able to hit anything. Even worse you post a picture of your rifle and people laugh at you! Its happened to me and its killer for your ego you know.

I am an awful shot my hands shake and I don't have the strength anymore because my wife just never buys spinach these days....then the old age thing and your eyes going to hell in a handbasket. However I continue to surprise myself just what I can hit doing everything wrong! Using cheap BUIS, a cheap POS chrome lined barrel, its even a LW pencil barrel, using cheap Federal XM193, and worst of all standing up shooting at 70 yards at stuff! I know I can hit a 4 inch square something that way it seems.

but I still need to get an optic so no one will laugh when I post pictures of my rifle. However thanks to the sane inputs here the magnifier will not ever be on it!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It aint' cocky if you can back it up as they say....

Too much mall ninja crap at times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I may just try the Eotech, just to try it, I have never had one. The EXPS3-0 has QD mounts that are supposed to come back to within 2MOA or so.

and then I will buy another gun..and another...

It's a good addiction...if there is such a thing. If you buying an EoTech used, check the battery compartment for battery leakage, I've two AA models that I bought used within the last year that had been damaged by batteries. Don't know if it's a trend, but I had to replace a comparment on one of the Eotechs.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Jeff, I wish I could use irons as well as you but I can't. I'm sure you placed your target on top of your FSP and usually shot at known ranges while prone and slung up?

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Jeff, I am just lucky and surprise myself sometimes!

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
the new ones use a transverse CR123.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Jeff, I wish I could use irons as well as you but I can't. I'm sure you placed your target on top of your FSP and usually shot at known ranges while prone and slung up?

Sling yes. Not always KD targets, we had fun matches.... as to placement of FSP, sometimes 6, some sub 6, some CM, some Navy etc..... much depended on what I needed to accomplish, vs target size or shape AND sighting conditions.... Of course in the field its another issue, BUT I have no doubt that out to 300 yards or so regardless of conditions a human woudl be a gravy target. Pretty much the same out to 600 too, depending on wind call....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,357
Posts18,527,093
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.