-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am finally through tweaking the Woodleigh 400 grain .411 bullet load combinations and am ready for practice shooting at Cape Buffalo targets before leaving for RSA May 27!

Yesterday afternoon at the Krodle Kountry Range, Joe and Ricky helped me chronograph and accuracy test what were to be the last two load combinations whose only difference was standard and large Federal Match rifle primers. Serendiptity! The mag primer load is in-the- zone in velocity and accuracy.

The last four mag primer rounds were recorded at ERROR (bullet path too low between screens), 2068, 2069, and 2068 fps with the chrony 10 feet from the muzzle. With or without correction, this is just over the 450/400 velocities claimed by Hornady(

http://www.hornady.com/store/450-400-Nitro-Express-3/ ) for their factory loads. With correction from screens to muzzle, it is equal to the reference loads(corrected to 2076) from the Wolfe Load data site.

These loads are also accurate; with the front bead covering the 8" bull at 100 yards, they are all in the black. So with no physical sight adjustments, the 400 grain sight picture of bead-on-target and the 300 grain picture of 6 o'clock (factory and handloads print an inch above top of bead at 100 yards) allow me to use either load as appropriate without physically adjusting the sights. More serendipity.

I then fired two series of three fast shots from a tripod at 50 yards and they were all in the eight inch black bull. Now I can just go shooting with this load and practice, practice, practice, to be ready to pop a buffalo in RSA.

Last edited by crshelton; 04/18/12.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
That'll work. Bully, as Teddy would say! :-)

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good for you. Enjoy and happy hunting......... you skunk! laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
what is your load, oal, etc? I'm running the 300gr North Forks solids@ 2250.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinBrother Jorge, you haveta be absolutely bonkers by now grin Lessee here, Ya have a fine Teddy Commemerative,a very fine 450 NE double rifle and a 45/110 Sharps ALL capable of smoking a buff. Decisions decisions decisions grin grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah it's a terrible quandary
smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sort of sights are you using?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
me? Three different on three rifles. One 1895 has a Williams, the TR Commemorative has the standard Buckhorn and the 450NE Double has the standard "V" Express sight, one standing (50yard zero) with subsequent 75 and 150 yd flip ups.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jorge,
The solution to your problem is quite simple really; just shoot a buff with each rifle.

WRT your question on my 400 grain load?
It is 54 grains of TAC. TAC and N133 were tied up to just over 2000 fps, but as velocity increased, my Ni33 load velocity increase fell off and so did accuracy.
The TAC reference load began at 52 grains and topped out at 53.5 grains with fine accuracy. My heaviest load of 55 grains showed some pressure signs, so the range between 53 and 54 grains of TAC seems to be the sweet spot for this powder and bullet.
(just in case you are interested)
Also, FWIIW, all loads were weighed on my Lyman 1200DPS and then poured through a 24 inch drop tube into the case.

Last edited by crshelton; 04/20/12.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got it thanks! I've never used TAC before and yes that is why I'm considering Tanzania even though it's extremely expensive if I add a leopard and two buffalo, one for the 95 and the other for the 450 smile . Still I think the 300gr NF solid2250 will do almost as good as your load.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jorge,
I agree on the 300 grain NF or Barnes at 2250. I saw what the NF CPS did to the water buffalo I shot and was very impressed.
However, the folks I am to hunt with have used and liked their 450/400 doubles on buffalo and can now relate to my .405 with the same bullet at the same velocity. And reloading and experimenting is fun. I bet your buff with 300 grain bullet will be just as dead as mine with 400 grains. Whatever the results, it will make for good campfire talk at elk camp this fall.

I am taking 300 grain NF loads for the waterbuck and warthog.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is very exciting! I have always felt that the .405 WCF gets a bad rap, but I know that it has been used for buff. I tackle much smaller game with it, but it is a fun round. Best of luck!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys, I have a question on affixing a sling to this rig. Ideally, a barrel band swivel's the way to go, but I don't have a reliable gunsmith down here I would trust with that, so do you foresee any issues with stud swivels on the forearm? I've seen it on old 95, but I always wondered about the forend.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jorge,
Like you, I wanted a barrel band sweated or soldered on ( me no gunsmith), but I settled for an Uncle Mikes solution:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...set-barrel-with-750-800-diameter-1-black

One day I would like a more permanent solution, but am not going to risk messing with the barrel this close to hunt departure.

Last edited by crshelton; 04/25/12.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's perfect. I take it the link is the correct size for the 405? Silly question but I had to ask smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think so, BUT,it has been a couple years since I bought mine and do not remember exactly. I put the calipers on my .405 barrel before I ordered it just to be sure.
Also, it is recommended to place the band an inch or two forward of the end of the fore stock so that recoil cannot drive it back into you hand. OUCH!

Similar tip if shooting heavy 400 grain loads in your 1895, wear shooting gloves when practicing to protect knuckles of trigger hand. I learned that one the hard way.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, rifle and other gear packed in Tuffpak for departure Saturday. With some luck and hard hunting, I will have some game pictures to post in a couple of weeks. I will be off-net while out of country, but will report in upon return.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Good luck. As an aside I used the Uncle Mike's 20 gauge barrel band and it worked very well. It did slip a bit but I used black hockey tape on the inside and one layer did the trick.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
North61, that's what I used on my M71 magazine, with the exception of the tape. It worked very good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 63 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,734
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.