-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
swfa SS isnt a big seller i would guess and has sold exponentially less than swaro and leupold

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are popular with the wish-I-were crowd though and they are very solid.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Of course there aren't as many SS sold as Leupold or Swarovski. But I'll bet there are as many SWFA SS as there are/was AV's sold. But that wasn't the point. I just used examples for JeffO of scopes that break and scopes that don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff just likes to hear Jeff talk and any feedback he gets is welcomed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I always stuck to the general rule that the bigger the cartridge and the lighter the rifle,the smaller the scope.

This generally ended up at about 4X on stuff like 338's and 375's.This,after watching enough variables chewed up on them.

Also the animals you shoot with them are the size of mini-vans with fur coats.On that stuff, variables have been of questionable value and the added reliability factor is worth its' weight in gold

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned (and sold - LOL) about every brand of scope out there - to me, for the money, NightForce cannot be beat!!!

Do they have the best glass, no, but they are the most "all around" complete scope made. Their track record of durability is flat out proven. I don't think there is a tougher scope on the market = this includes Schmidt & Bender and US Optics!!

You want proven durability, buy a NightForce, case closed!!

PS - I still love my Schmidt & Bender scopes, but they are getting big-time pricey!!!!!!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
And Nightforce isn't?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
And Nightforce isn't?

Yes they are, but only nearly half the cost of S&B.

Mathman, you want several $200 scopes & durability issues or one $1500 scope that will last you a lifetime??

It cracks me up that someone will purchase a $3500 rifle & put a $200 scope on it - WTF???

Last edited by 300MAG; 04/19/12.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It cracks me up when somebody feels they have to purchase a variable for $1500+ to shoot animals "the size of mini-vans" (as BobinNH so eloquently put it), when a $300 fixed power will be just as reliable, and the animal will be just as dead.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by handwerk

My 7 3/4 lbs. 300 H&H has got some snap to it, but with 500+ rounds behind it the swaro has been fine; although I'll admit once I've got my load developed I'm not playing with the adjustments like other folks, I pretty much just practice then go huntin'

Will you quit shooting that thing! I don't want to have to retube it when I finally get it. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It cracks me up when somebody feels they have to purchase a variable for $1500+ to shoot animals "the size of mini-vans" (as BobinNH so eloquently put it), when a $300 fixed power will be just as reliable, and the animal will be just as dead.

Bingo!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks JB - never failed to eat when carrying a fixed 4x or 6x, even when using el cheapo 6x40 Bushnell Sportview 'Demo/refurb' that cost me about $20.

Leupold 4x and 6x have NEVER failed for me, nor many other Leupy's - and I agree as others, a fixed vs. a variable is just less likely to fail, proven over decades of use.

As to answer WHY anyone would spend 3500 on a rifle and 200 on their scope?

Maybe simply b/c they work? Never had a Bushnell Elite variable fail...nor Burris...nor Leupold, must not be as hard as others, but I don't use them as hammers like NF does in their demo's at the Shot Show.

No doubt optics are expected to be better, but a $2,000 scope is not 10x better in quality, as a $200 scope, just is not.

I'd rather have a solid 200-400 dollar Leupold, Burris, Conquest, or Bushy Elite and spend my next $1,000 if I wanted, on an Alpha Glass Bino like Leica/Swaro....since I use Bino's for viewing/spotting and scope sights....to plaster crosshairs.

Nothing wrong in spending for the very best/most expensive if it gets the job done and does not sting one's finances. Not all hunters are financially equal when it comes to their wallet thickness.

I can certainly appreciate the finest glass to be had, but they come at a premium often in not only price, but added bulk/weight and that is not always preferable in a rifle's carry weight, bulk, or balance.

Choose what works for you and can afford, many options will work when in the hands of a knowledgable operator.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR

Choose what works for you and can afford, many options will work when in the hands of a knowledgable operator.

BINGO!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Choose what works for you and can afford, many options will work

I replaced the Tasco 4-16X40 on my .375-.416 only because a fellow shooter got hit by it. It lasted many years of firing loads from 235 grains to 300 grains. All loads were worked up to max. I gave it to a friend who is using it on a light kicker.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by handwerk

My 7 3/4 lbs. 300 H&H has got some snap to it, but with 500+ rounds behind it the swaro has been fine; although I'll admit once I've got my load developed I'm not playing with the adjustments like other folks, I pretty much just practice then go huntin'

Will you quit shooting that thing! I don't want to have to retube it when I finally get it. grin

Hey! hey!.....What's going on here? confused...... Who's buying what from who...er...whom....secret trading here and I had handwerk on the phone and no one said nuthin'! shocked

I smell a big time conspiracy.... cool cry smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Worry not there Bob, it's not going anywhere. Yep Skanes a good man but he'll have to talk my kids out of the 300 H&H as he's not getting it from me!

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Not bashing here JeffO. I cal l it stating a fact, from actual use.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
What makes it worse is that we are not talking about Swarovski's as a whole like everyone does with Leupold, but one specific product line.

Swarovski makes the Z3/AV line and the PV/ Z5/Z6). The fact that you count only the AV Swaros failures is NOT what makes it worse but actually what makes it BETTER. Swaro�s PV and the PV derived scopes are tough and reliable. You cannot extrapolate the AV failures to Swaro�s rest of the lines and if you do it�s WRONG(biased).

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
No. Not a sample of one.

If my count is right there are 6 posters on this thread that have or have had Swarovski AV scopes. 3 have had problems. All three have of those have seen multiple AV's have issues. 3 out of 6 isn't a sample of one, it's a clue. What makes it worse is that we are not talking about Swarovski's as a whole like everyone does with Leupold, but one specific product line.

As a curiosity I just did a google search for "problems with___" Leupold, Swarovski AV, Nightforce, and SWFA SS. Note that I only searched for one specific model of Swaro but the entire line of the others. There were 12 links to hunters having actual broken AV's on the first three pages. Each one of those had multiple posters with problems. There were 9 links with actual mechanical problems with every Leupold model ever made on the first three pages. All but one were with tracking issues. hmmm.... how many Leupold scopes do you think are sold for every AV? There was one (1) Nightforce scope in ten (10) pages with a problem. There were zero (0) mechanical problems with SWFA's SS on the first three pages.

So.....

Sworovski AV- 12 links in the first 3 pages.
Leupold- 9 links in the first 3 pages.
Nightforce- 1 scope in TEN pages.
SWFA SS- 0 scopes in the first 3 pages.

Drawing conclusions on stats from google searches is questionable. You search on the AV Swaro models and extrapolate on all. You don�t account for the factors that push hits up the pages. You are also dealing with a colored sample (willingness to report or bitch) and in your your count of 6 users reporting Swaro AV problems you missed E that also reports such problems even though he does not own any AVs(and never did))

Aic

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A "Google search" would also show that Swarovski bino's have a long history of fogging even though they don't. One story repeated 1000 times doesn't mean an epidemic. A seeming epidemic started by a person who never owned or used a Swarovski bino. So much for Google searches.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDFinn
A "Google search" would also show that Swarovski bino's have a long history of fogging even though they don't. One story repeated 1000 doesn't not mean an epidemic. A seeming epidemic started by a person who never owned or used a Swarovski bino. So much for Google searches.

Plus one, you wordy bastid.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,282 guests, and 1,406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,214
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.