Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We've had more of the "suck Rugers" in my family. Had being the operative word.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bad luck sucks!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
M D - I'm sure you've had many more Rugers than I have. I haven't encountered one that wasn't accurate.

My first was a tang safety, 243 W. It shot varmint wt bullets and 100 grainers both very well. I have a long time friend that STILL has it. He has killed LOTS of coyotes and deer with it.

The only problem I've ever encountered with a Ruger was a 77 in 7 RM. Don't know if it was accurate or not. Another friend bought it brand new. We loaded and chrono'd it and after swapping ALL components, that 7 RM would not beat 270 W velocity. He got rid of it.

Other than that I have had no problems with Ruger. I have had a Mk II 22 pistol for many yrs. It's not going anywhere. I also have a SS Laminate stock 10-22 that has a home as long as I live.

I DID have a tang safety 77 in 338 WM that kicked SO HARD it was no fun to shoot. It would shoot accurately. 225 gr bullets into 1" or less. It just HURT to shoot it.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bad luck sucks!
Yeah but I've had good luck with Marlin lever actions and I like them better anyway. I did have an extraordinarily good shooting 3 screw Blackhawk and Mark II target many moons ago but their rifles have generally just sucked for us. My youngest brother still owns a 77 MKII that is thoroughly uninspiring but won't sell it because it was a gift from his FIL. Other than that, no more Rugers in the family and no danger of any new ones entering.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Blackheart
It's a Ruger. You're supposed to patttern the damn things, not shoot for groups.

Yep, Rugers don't shoot for Schitt...

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Any chance you are canting the No.1 more than your other rifles?

And maybe in a way that is not very repeatable? This will make your groups look big and if you happen to hold the rifle just right a couple times you'll get pairs.

What type of target? Grids make it easier to have a repeatable cant, even if its not level with the horizon. I've noticed that benches that are not level can also make some people hold their rifle unlevel especially if there's no good reference in the distance.

I have used bubble levels on some rifles, but not my hunting rigs. My range bag has a small bubble level in it, the type that you put on string. I put that on my elevation cap if I'm ever in doubt. You'd be suprised how far off you can be sometimes.

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/19/12.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
It's a Ruger. You're supposed to patttern the damn things, not shoot for groups.

Yep, Rugers don't shoot for Schitt...

[Linked Image]

P
That doesn't prove much. I've killed about a hundred deer with a smoothbore 12 gauge Ithaca model 37 that shot 5 MOA on a good day with it's favorite slugs. Come to think of it that old Ithaca was more accurate than some of the "suck Ruger" rifles I've owned. A couple of 10-22's, a .44 mag. autoloading carbine and a 96/44 in particular come quicly to mind.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bad luck sucks!
Yeah but I've had good luck with Marlin lever actions

Speaking of Marlins, I've had a lot of vertical groups due to powder position in the case.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned several Ruger M77s. Tang safety models as well as Mk IIs and have been "lucky" with all of them. They were not benchrest rifles but all would shoot MOA or better with selected loads. I still own a .223 and a .308 that will shoot great. Not a gun writer, but just had to say....

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
It needs to go to a Gun Shrink.It has dual personalities.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jwall
M D - I'm sure you've had many more Rugers than I have. I haven't encountered one that wasn't accurate.

My first was a tang safety, 243 W. It shot varmint wt bullets and 100 grainers both very well. I have a long time friend that STILL has it. He has killed LOTS of coyotes and deer with it.

The only problem I've ever encountered with a Ruger was a 77 in 7 RM. Don't know if it was accurate or not. Another friend bought it brand new. We loaded and chrono'd it and after swapping ALL components, that 7 RM would not beat 270 W velocity. He got rid of it.

Other than that I have had no problems with Ruger. I have had a Mk II 22 pistol for many yrs. It's not going anywhere. I also have a SS Laminate stock 10-22 that has a home as long as I live.
You just needed to shove more power to that 7RM. The loading data varies more on one of them than any caliber on earth IMO.
I DID have a tang safety 77 in 338 WM that kicked SO HARD it was no fun to shoot. It would shoot accurately. 225 gr bullets into 1" or less. It just HURT to shoot it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by donsm70

+1 eek

Aint that the truth ?! sick

Honestly, I've owned four or five Rugers over the years since 1977. My first was the Shilen barreled Tang Safety in 220 Swift. What an idiot I was to have sold it.

My last Ruger was an All Weather in 280 Remington bought in 2003. I still have it and always will. I have killed a truck load of W.T's with that rifle, as well as both of my daughters.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I have killed a truck load of W.T's with that rifle, as well as both of my daughters.
What the hell did you kill both of your daughters for ? Are you posting this nonsense from prison ?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
you killed both of your daughters with a 280???

teasin ya...read your sentence out loud lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone ever had a bolt handle come off a Ruger? An extractor fall out on the follower and make you say WTF? Have the trigger go BOOM,when it should be a click...?

I'm waiting...

And I have photos of targets shot from my Ruger stable....and plenty of dead game ..from around the world.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rifle
Has anyone ever had a bolt handle come off a Ruger? An extractor fall out on the follower and make you say WTF? Have the trigger go BOOM,when it should be a click...?

I'm waiting...

And I have photos of targets shot from my Ruger stable....and plenty of dead game ..from around the world.
I've never personally had a bolt handle come off any brand of rifle nor an extractor fall out on the follower. I have chucked Ruger barrels in my lathe and watched them wobble like a drunken sailor though. I've also sent receivers/frames {rifle and revolver} back to Ruger because they were so warped from being dropped from the mould too soon that there was no way to straighten them out by machining. YMMV depending on your luck of the draw "brand carma" of course.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Possibily with a little warpage these would have gone into one hole..Oh well...
[Linked Image]

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Possibily with a little warpage these would have gone into one hole..Oh well...
[Linked Image]
Just goes to show even a blind pig finds an acorn once in awhile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well hell the nuts keep falling my way...chit..I thought I was special,like my mama said..
[Linked Image]

Come on America,

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well hell the nuts keep falling my way...chit..I thought I was special,like my mama said..
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 1,960 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,955
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.