-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm more convinced than ever, that once you start catching fish, they somehow signal others in the area of distress and the bite stops. Countless times I have fished an area and on the first couple of casts caught fish and then it just stops cold. Case in point. Saturday I fished a farm type pond (probably 2-3 acres). In the first 10 casts I caught 5 bass. Now I was standing on a dock casting in several directions so not the same 'hole'. I figured this was going to be a banner day for sure. After that, I kept fishing for the better part of an hour and didn't catch a single fish! Tried several different lures including back to the original all with no affect. Saw a few chasers but nothing would bite again. Obviously predatory fish can sense their prey through a variety of means and I'm convinced some of those abilities translate into defensive measures as well.
Or... maybe the wind just changed direction.... smile

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have to agree with you.I've seen it many times myself.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't think the communicate like we think of it but when a fish is hooked it thrashes to get loose. These thrashes will send waves through the water that other fish will pick up with their lateral line and after a while they probably will leave the area because of feeling all the distresed waves. This is also how a pike will come up and eat the bluegill on your line because being a predator he senses these waves and moves towards them looking for an easy meal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When we pull one or two big cats out of a hole, the bite seems to stop. The only time I will sit on a hole after catching one or two good cats is during nighttime summer fishing, when I'm in a area known to hold a lot of baitfish. The active feeders will be moving about, so it's possible to get more. But if too much time goes by and no fish, time to run-n-gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think if they do, it may vary between species. Case in point - schooling yellow perch through the ice. When you get on them, get your bait in that hole as fast as possible to keep the school under you. As long as you have bait down there, they stick around. Can see it with good flashers and confirmed with cameras.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have notice this ice fishing,I generaly release everthing I catch.Seems as soon as I let one go back down the hole bite stops cold.
BBJ

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sure catching and releasing will stop a bite....seen it many times. But it will come back again.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
have heard that if you make a fish bleed at all it can alarm all the fish in the area something is up and can ruin your fishing

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe fish, when caught, excrete a Phermone (SP)that alerts other fish to leave the area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
must not be all fish cause over the course of a night i have pulled a dozen fish out of the same spot in the river just rebaiting the hook and tossing it back out to the same spot....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have this happen while reservoir fishing. Catch two or three in one spot and the bite stops even though I am still marking good numbers of fish in the location. I just row around a bit and set up in another location.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm certain that both fish and bait emit hydralic signals by their activity that others pick up in their lateral line sensors but I don't know as I'd say that means they 'signal each other' in any meaningful way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
will also note ive seen the same fish caught twice in about 15 minutes.....a 18 inch northern with a very distinctive bite mark from a larger northern......my wife caught him once when trolling through a hole.....unhooked and tossed him back in, continued on to the end of the point, turned around and backtracked or course and i caught the SOB again on the way back through.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i have kinda seen it work both ways.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,569 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,482
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.