Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had hoped to test 6 different .257 Roberts factory loads in my Model 70 today, but it will be raining all day.

Got me to thinking, how does rain affect point of impact and accuracy?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bushmaster1313,

Perfect day for you to teach us. Go for it in the rain.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That has always caused me wonder as well. In googling, I came up with the weight of an average raindrop as being about 1.3 grains (if I did the math correctly - it said .003 ounce, so I divided 7000 by 16 and then took that times .003). Another source said that a raindrop hits Earth with a force equal to 349 X its weight. That comes out to about 454. Naturally, I don't have the faintest idea what any of that means. Would someone who understands this stuff and possesses great patience explain what effect one raindrop striking a given bullet (lets say a 180 grain .30 caliber starting out at 2700 fps) would have upon it? (Please try to keep it simple so that the slow among us can sort of understand the explanation - thanks in advance.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would it ever hit it? Pressure in front of the bullet should push it out of the way, correct?

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i've heard that rain will raise POI a tad, but i have not been able to see any difference.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It dosen't do anything , the bullet is not in flight long enough,

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hubert

Yet it is flight long enough for wind to affect it? Not being argumentative - I really am this dense.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My take is this...I can't for the life of me get it to change my poi @ 400 yds to less than minute of deer.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman
Bushmaster1313,

Perfect day for you to teach us. Go for it in the rain.

Not today.
I want to find out which factory load shoots best and I do not want to be bothered by the weather.

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 04/22/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by raybass
Would it ever hit it? Pressure in front of the bullet should push it out of the way, correct?

Correct. Based on reports from competitors, every now and again you can get a bullet to hit a rain drop (probably a really large drop, at that) that throws off the POI by a bit, but it's a very rare thing.

The pressure wave in front of the bullet, combined with the short TOF, both favour the likelihood that the bullet never touches a drop of water when you go shooting in the rain.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Hubert

Yet it is flight long enough for wind to affect it? Not being argumentative - I really am this dense.

The wind is a constant pressure on it. Raindrops have too much space between them.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
just forget it and go back to bed, you will nee the rest in the morning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot service rifle competition at distances out to 600 yds. with .223, rain, snow, or shine. I never consider the impact of the rain itself... I'm currently shooting master level scores.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by raybass

Correct. Based on reports from competitors, every now and again you can get a bullet to hit a rain drop (probably a really large drop, at that) that throws off the POI by a bit, but it's a very rare thing.

The pressure wave in front of the bullet, combined with the short TOF, both favour the likelihood that the bullet never touches a drop of water when you go shooting in the rain.

If the pressure wave pushed the rain drop out of the way, Sir Isaac says that the reaction on the bullet has to be equal and opposite the reaction of the rain. That a bullet moves in the wind whose air molecules are proportionately so much less massive says the bullet will move. Because center mass of the rain drop may be randomly distributed around the axis of the bullet means the deflection may be random. Whether or not the bullet's pressure wave moves the rain drop or the rain drop does indeed hit the bullet is not relevant. A bullet fired n the rain may deflect less than a bullet fired into grass or brush, but it will deflect in the same manner with the same random dispersion.

Having found a fair number of Barnes bullets butt first embedded into trees behind my targets I suspect that a very small upset is possible and may cause them to tumble and restabilize going backwards because of the drag of the upset. I doubt the stability is very good. Of the bullets found embedded, it looked like maybe 80% went in butt first. It might well be that this sample is not representative. It may be that only Barnes TSXs are prone to doing this. It might be that only a specific kind of upset triggered by very specific conditions can cause this.

The chances of a bullet fired at a deer hitting a large raindrop and deflecting enough to matter are remote. Deer are not usually out in the open presenting longer range shots in rain that has big heavy drops. Light mist, light drizzle with small drops and snow, yes. BTDT. Never seen or heard of a deflection.

Last edited by MILES58; 04/22/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not necessarily. The bullet itself isn't touching the rain drop. The bullet is pushing air out of the way, which pushes back (Newton's law, which we call drag), whether it's raining or not. The air then pushes against the water droplet. The reactive force of the water drop back on the air molecules would be insignificant because that pressure wave is rapidly and constantly composed of changing air molecules as the bullet travels along, rather than the same air molecules travelling with the bullet in a wave. The force that the droplet exerts on the air molecules would not transfer back to the bullet in any significant way. This is because the bullet would already have travelled passed those specific molecules by the time they make it back to where the bullet was at the time of impact with the water molecule.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If the bullet moves the drop, the drop has to move the bullet. Not an option otherwise.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The bullet doesn't move the drop. The air molecules do. That's the point. The reason that impact with a drop doesn't deflect the bullet, is that the bullet doesn't actually hit the drop, the air molecules of the air pressure wave do.

If you hold a ping pong ball on the palm of your hand, and then take a deep breath and blow it off your hand, the ball moves and flies off your hand. Does the ball exert a reactionary force on your mouth?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Aw GEEZUZ Jordan! You gotta think about things 'fore you open your mouth. The only place for the energy to move the ran drop can come from is the bullet. No ifs. No ands. No buts. If the bullet gives up the energy to move the drop, the bulloet is effected. If the bullet does not move the drop it is unaffected.

If you've ever shot in the rain or very humid air you will see a sizable "tube" of disturbed water along the bullet's path. The perturbation of all that water and the change of state you see is energy given up by the bullet.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[Linked Image]

See the displaced air forming a ">" around the bullet? No raindrop is going to touch the bullet. Any possible effect the wave has on the raindrop which in turn could effect the wave back to the bullet is moot because by the time that would happen the bullet is well past the effected air molecules that started it.

Rain has no effect on bullets. In fact I prefer to shoot in the rain. Talk about being able to see trace...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Rain has no effect on bullets. In fact I prefer to shoot in the rain. Talk about being able to see trace...

If the rain does not touch the bullet and assuming the rain drop is in the bullet's path, please explain where the energy to move the raindrop comes from.

By your logic if I smack you upside the head with a stick to help you understand this, I did nothing to you, it was that damn stick.

Pay attention! There is one place for the energy to come from. One only. The bullet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,516
Posts18,509,571
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.