-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 30 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 29 30
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BCR, I am in northwest Houston. You're welcome to convoy up with me. Last year I took Hwy 59 to 77, to I-37 and it worked out fine.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds great guys. I will try to talk the wife into it. Schedule permitting I hope we can come. Convoying sounds great
I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander, AWD, do you think it will make it?
Plan is to set up tents on the beach? Just thinking ahead for my young kids.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kind of what I was thinking. There should be something, gas station, cafe ???? where the loop around Victoria joins up again with 77 south of town. Would be a fine place to meet up with people coming down 59 from Houston and go on to Corpus in a bunch following somebody who knows whereinhell he is going.

Everybody and his dog got cell phones now. Even this old coot finally broke down and got one. Gets closer to the time we can exchange # via PM and talk eachother in to a meeting spot.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
there is a place on the right hand side of 77 just south of Victoria, can't remember the name, its not one of the chain convenience stores.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
we'll be using tents

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
there is a place on the right hand side of 77 just south of Victoria, can't remember the name, its not one of the chain convenience stores.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Can't beat local knowledge. grin

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Trying to talk the wife into it. any other women and smaller children coming? What should be bring for the group should we are able to make it?
Seems that based on my preliminary schedule we might be able to come. I am at time in my life were being able to come with the wife and kids trumps my "me time", so besides work, that will likely decide if we make it or not.
On a side note, what would be a good family tent to get? I have a separate post on it, Linky
but can't hurt to ask here too.
Thanks!

Last edited by Sponxx; 04/18/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pretty much any tent will work you probably have to worry about wind more than rain but we do get the occasional squall. i use a tent cot, but its a one person setup. http://store.kamprite.com/catalog/Kamp-Rite-Collapsible-Combo-Tent-Cot-CCTC-p-16138.html

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
not sure if anyone else is bring their wife, one thing to think about, we'll be roughing it there is no restrooms or anything, taking a dump or pee means going behind a sand dune. might consider getting one of portable toilets like they use in the hospital for your wife to use.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would jump on the used tent deal Otter offered.

The problems are gonna be wind, sun, and blowing sand. Likely you're gonna be putting it up on loose dry sand too, might need something heavy (sand-filled milk jugs??) to substitute for some stakes.

If it rains down there in August, likely the storm will already have a name and the tent will touch down somewhere around Falfurrias or maybe Kingsville grin

IME kids have the hardest time adjusting to lack of amenities (my own son would "hold-it" for DAYS under those conditions when he was little, wouldn't use it if it wasn't gonna flush afterwards grin), I would bring something that has a familiar-looking toilet seat on it, that could be set up in a setting that offered privacy.

Along those lines, constipation is almost a given when one is dehydrated, especially for kids, bring lots of drinks, and sunscreen. I find the beach at PINS to be among the most hostile desert environments around. See, in an actual desert, you EXPECT it to be that hot and dry and windy.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have seen the power company guys on job sites with a five gallon bucket with the bottom cut out and a seat attached to the top.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you're bringing a tent, bring the following:

- Small bungee cord

- The plastic bags you get from the grocery store, Wal-mart, etc.

- Someone will have a shovel.

Double-bag, then fill the bags with sand. Use these for anchors, and bungee them to your tent. Bungee cords will help because the wind can whip a tent around.

Those pop-up shades are a necessity. Take 4, 5-gallon buckets. Put a leg in each bucket and fill with sand.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
not sure if anyone else is bring their wife, one thing to think about, we'll be roughing it there is no restrooms or anything, taking a dump or pee means going behind a sand dune. might consider getting one of portable toilets like they use in the hospital for your wife to use.

Translation: can she run a kayak and how's she feel about half a rigged kingfish between her toes?

Fought it, but lost battle. Sorry. wink

P.S. No offense intended whatsoever, and I was just breaking your chops. I'm sure your wife is lovely, and if she's OK with roughing it, good on her, and you done good.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 04/23/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
one of those screw-in auger stakes/dog tie-downs works well for achoring tents on the beach.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Putting weight in the tent worked just fine guys, like your gear. My tent didn't blow away. Excuse me, Birdys new tent.

I'm going with the cot/ tent deal. Remember Pat slept on a cot, under rear of his truck. Yes it was a low cot, but that worked for him. Family would need a tent.

My pop up shade deal even worked in the slight breeze.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
B
If time permits - I am all over this!

A proud member of www.acecanopy.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Translation: can she run a kayak and how's she feel about half a rigged kingfish between her toes?

P.S. No offense intended whatsoever, and I was just breaking your chops. I'm sure your wife is lovely, and if she's OK with roughing it, good on her, and you done good.

no offense taken. Funny schitt, I think she can run a kayak, not sure about on the surf though, about a dead fih between her toes, might need more convincing. Truly it's the kids I am concerned about, 2 1/2yo and 11mo currently, so it might be tough.
We have a nice tent, but it is too little to rough it out for 4 days including kids... anyone offering to babysit??
any takers? there in the back? smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Roger, I've been on the beach all my life and never seen that water bucket-tarp-tent-kite thingy done. I was impressed.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

no offense taken. Funny schitt, I think she can run a kayak, not sure about on the surf though, about a dead fih between her toes, might need more convincing. Truly it's the kids I am concerned about, 2 1/2yo and 11mo currently, so it might be tough.
We have a nice tent, but it is too little to rough it out for 4 days including kids... anyone offering to babysit??
any takers? there in the back? smile

That's what MIL's are made for. Hope they are close.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nah, back in Peru... both sets of grandparents. Has made for a couple of years of being 24/7 with the kids.
At least for my wife, when I take call it's all her taking of the little ones, finally we had a little time off earlier this year and left them with the inlaws and my parents

Page 15 of 30 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,004 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,123
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.