Campfire Regular

The original international turd
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A wee bit young for that...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The only thing I can figure out they are trying to accomplish is giving that horse a bad back by the time it is 4 years old.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Horses are like kids, no one needs a prequist for oneing them.
Such a shame as obviously there are people in this world who should not have either.

I get real wary of ads that thought 2-3 yr old horses that are broke the best, done everything and kids can ride them.

People fail to realize that it isn't only the physical aspect of a horse,but the mental aspect that has to matter also.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If/when I have time I think it's a great idea to saddle brush clip etc a colt like that. When I weaned my now 5 yr old all I did was walk out to him up a halter on and lead him to the trailer to take to the barn. Was a piece of cake cause he was the only colt we had and had been toying with him since he was born.

That said gettin on the colts back at weaning age is the dumbest thing I've seen this week! Sad that those people are so proud of what they're doin they took pics.

IC B2

Maarty Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You gents are a lot more restrained than I was when I saw it the first time.
I agree, handling a colt from a young age can be a benefit, introducing him to a saddle, bridle and a whole bunch of other things when he's young can save a lot of effort later but getting on one that young is plain stupidity and worse was the pic of her mounting from the ground.
In my opinion that's a good way to give a horse bone and joint problems later in life and because it probably wasn't comfortable and could have caused pain it may even create problems when they try to ride it later. The only small saving grace is they kept the colt still and didn't actually ride it round as far as we know from what's been posted.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'm with saddlesore on the "kid broke" horse thing. I've had many kids ride many different 3 yr olds I've had but never say a horse is kid broke. Some kids can ride the hair off one and some have no idea. I guess my gripe is the term kid broke. I know/ride with kids that can outride many adults I've seen. Just cause one kid can ride the horse don't mean it's a kid horse. Not all kids is equal just like adults.

My nephew is 5 and been on horses since he was a baby. He's by nomeans ready/able to ride by himself. Sayin that I can't count on one hand how many his age I've seen ride pretty darn well.

A cute lil thing people around here like to say is that horse is good for a lady......heck my wife starts most all our 2 yr olds. She's easy and patient with them. That don't mean my 23 month stud colt is lady broke.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I agree maarty.....very stupid foolish and I'm suprised people is that ignorant. Kinda like handing a 5 yr old kid a 300 mag to shoot.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
After all the fun that boy had I left that horse with him to play with a bit. That horse has been a goodin for me at everything I've asked him to do from east tn to Montana Colorado and I think he will enjoy baby sitting for the time being.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm not on FaceBook so I can't see what was posted there and I didn't want to follow the rants on the New Zealand forum -- too quick to assume that the fault here is somehow "American" - so my thoughts are only on the photos I saw. So, perhaps I am wrong from what may have been posted elsewhere, but we don't see evidence of this woman "riding" the colt. She is only sitting on him for a moment. Now, yes, she's a fair-sized lady, but it's a stout colt and if she got up there for just a moment I would cut her some slack. We all do silly things sometimes and I've seen people do stuff like this before. Generally the person doing it is smaller. So, unless there are more photos I haven't seen, I think the posters on the NZ forum are overreacting, but again, I didn't read anything past the first page. As soon as a couple of them starting blaming Americans they lost their credibility with me. Sitting on the colt for a moment is not the same as "riding" a two-year-old. That said, the lady is probably too heavy to be on the colt at all. What amazes me as much as anything is the self-righteous overreaction. But again, I am only judging by the photos I see and if there are other photos of this woman still on the colt and riding him around the yard, etc... my grace would end.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
So sitting on a weanling is better than riding a 2 yr old?......or did I misunderstand?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If that horse is as young as it looks from the picture those people should be horse whipped. A baby's bones don't fuse until their 2 yr old year, and the damage they're causing will ruin that horse for life. Not to mention a babies attention span is about 60 seconds.
At that age I might throw a blanket over their back (from both sides) when I'm grooming/handling it, but thats as much weight as I would put on a baby. The other thing, you see people do it all the time because they're scared to throw their leg over; hanging on the side of a baby is really hard on them. These people have no business with a horse, unless that horse is 3 or 4 and just looks like a baby, but i don't think thats the case.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We have a nieghbor down the road that has a TB that came off the track as a two year old.Which means it had to have been started at least at 18 months and probaly sooner. It has about 6" of sway in it's back.It is in the 20 yr old class. The gal that rides it is about 190-220lbs.When she gets on, she says the horse acts like it has a sore back, so she bought another more expensive pad for it.I tried to tell her to retire it and she acted like I was crazy
DUH!!!!

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Maarty Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtrancher
I'm not on FaceBook so I can't see what was posted there and I didn't want to follow the rants on the New Zealand forum -- too quick to assume that the fault here is somehow "American" - so my thoughts are only on the photos I saw. So, perhaps I am wrong from what may have been posted elsewhere, but we don't see evidence of this woman "riding" the colt. She is only sitting on him for a moment. Now, yes, she's a fair-sized lady, but it's a stout colt and if she got up there for just a moment I would cut her some slack. We all do silly things sometimes and I've seen people do stuff like this before. Generally the person doing it is smaller. So, unless there are more photos I haven't seen, I think the posters on the NZ forum are overreacting, but again, I didn't read anything past the first page. As soon as a couple of them starting blaming Americans they lost their credibility with me. Sitting on the colt for a moment is not the same as "riding" a two-year-old. That said, the lady is probably too heavy to be on the colt at all. What amazes me as much as anything is the self-righteous overreaction. But again, I am only judging by the photos I see and if there are other photos of this woman still on the colt and riding him around the yard, etc... my grace would end.

I have to defend NZ here. That is a UK forum not NZ, it was brought to my attention by a friend of mine because the pics were taken in NZ.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Okay, I apologize, no offense meant to NZ. Like I say, I'm not in the loop. I didn't have the patience to investigate the forum. (Don't mean to hijack the thread, but my wife and I watch almost entirely British TV and films through Netflix largely because of their understated approach to most things.)

Last edited by mtrancher; 04/24/12.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ok first I have no idea if the above responses was directed to my question or not?

Second my question was to the fella that acted like gettin on the mentioned colt was better than ridin a 2 yr old. I've yet to see a 2 yr old that couldn't take ridin. I've no idea about 190-220 pound women and don't plan to.........!!!!.......grin

Maarty Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtrancher
Okay, I apologize, no offense meant to NZ. Like I say, I'm not in the loop. I didn't have the patience to investigate the forum. (Don't mean to hijack the thread, but my wife and I watch almost entirely British TV and films through Netflix largely because of their understated approach to most things.)

No offense taken, and I know a lot of Kiwis who would have reacted the same way the ones on that forum did.
I remember reading something a while ago that said "Back forty or so years ago we were harder on animals and kinder to people" and I agree with it, it seems a lot of people have elevated animals above people these days and it does cause a lot of problems. Having said that I can't think of anyone forty years ago who would be stupid enough to get on a five month old colt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saddlesore the best i can tell, horses are the only thing that makes someone with 6 months experience turn their nose up at someones advice that's invested a lifetime. If that gals 200 pounds she should be walking anyway laugh.
As far as the track goes, if people ever saw what went on in the alleys at the track there'd never be another horse race.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Don't they race 2 yearolds? and get broken legs ETC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 257 mag, badwolf, benchman, BDR1, 6 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.