Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My niece's boyfriend is being sent to join the 25th ID in Hawaii after he completes his basic training.

She has inundated me with questions about the unit and I told her I would see what I could find out.

Has anyone served with the 25th or have any pertinent information about it?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My dad was in the 25th Infantry Division (Tropic Lighting) during Vietnam. He was in country 3/67 to 3/68.

They got the nick name "Tropic Lighting" from the Marines in the Pacific during WWII because they took Islands back at a tremendous pace. After 44 years my dad still wears the "lighting Bolt" patch today with honor!

Please thanks your niece's boyfriend thank you for his service to this great country.

NYH1!

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There are no bad Infantry Divisions these days. It will be a high speed unit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have her read this:

http://www.25idl.army.mil/

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I was 25th Infantry in the mid eighties, stationed at Schofield Barracks. Hawaii is expensive but there is much to do there that won't bankrupt a young soldier. Most of the bases have rental cars at reduced rates (or at least they used to) and there is no shortage of spectacular scenery. A few of the must sees are the Arizona Memorial, the Polynesian Cultural Center and Diamondhead. The night clubs of Honolulu are a money trap. I watched a lot of soldiers waste small fortunes there. I spent enough money there but wised up pretty quickly and stuck to the barracks or other parts of the island that didn't leave me hung over and broke. I'm sure the post has changed considerably in 25 years, but there were many activities available on post for a single soldier. I would like to echo NYH1 in thanking your nieces boyfriend for his service. Tell him to enjoy Hawaii and take lots of pictures.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the info. I will pass it along.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Don't let her watch Oliver Stone's portrayal of the 25th in his movie "Platoon".

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had forgotten about Stone's movie.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm pretty sure they were on Guadalcanal too. I once knew a guy who was with the 25th in early WW2. He was in Hawaii at time of Pearl Harbor. Later on Guadalcanal. Hope my recollection is accurate. Proud history.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm in the 25th now, currently deployed in Afghanistan. I'm in the 4th Airborne brigade out of Fort Richardson, Alaska. I'm proud of the unit and it's storied history.

I believe all but the 4th BDE is in Hawaii.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the good beaches in Hawaii belong to the armed forces.
There's plenty of rec areas on the other islands, for the uniformed guys and guests.
Suggest she view the movie "Tora Tora" then she can vist all the places she sees in the movie. You can see the bullet pock marks on the hangers at Hicham. He/she will have a years worth of visiting at no cost other then transportation.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
There are no bad Infantry Divisions these days. It will be a high speed unit.

+1

"I love it. God help me I do love it so. I love it more than my life." -Patton
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I turned HI down as an assignment when I was in the USArmy
and stayed in TX. I really wish I would have went.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NYH1
My dad was in the 25th Infantry Division (Tropic Lighting) during Vietnam. He was in country 3/67 to 3/68.

They got the nick name "Tropic Lighting" from the Marines in the Pacific during WWII because they took Islands back at a tremendous pace. After 44 years my dad still wears the "lighting Bolt" patch today with honor!

Please thanks your niece's boyfriend thank you for his service to this great country.

NYH1!
My cousin was with them about the same time. Got wounded in 1968. He was with the wolfhounds.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
I'm in the 25th now, currently deployed in Afghanistan. I'm in the 4th Airborne brigade out of Fort Richardson, Alaska. I'm proud of the unit and it's storied history.

My niece's BF is wanting go Airborne.

Stay safe and Thank You for your service.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Can he sing?? grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Long ago and faraway it used to be called the "Electric Strawberries"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

Can he sing?? grin

Haha! That was our cadence while we were marching to the graduation ceremony at airborne school. That was six years and a lot of jumps ago. I still love putting my feet and knees in the breeze though.... grin

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The boy's dad is Airborne so he was weaned on that song. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt

Matt
Doesn't the Stryker BCT at Fairbanks wear a Tropic Lightning patch?

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (222Sako, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,412
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.