-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm new to the reloading game and was wondering what some of your opinions are on the Lee Hand Press? I don't have room for a conventional setup so... On a side note does anybody have one sitting around they don't use anymore?

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
They definitely work. And they will help you develop superior upper body strength.

If you can figure out some way to have a table mounted press, you'll have a better time of it.

Be not weary in well doing.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
For several years, all of my reloading was done on a Lee hand press. I was loading for an 06, 22-250, and an 06AI. I set the dies to size only the neck of the cartridge and made sure they were well lubed. The task did not seem overly difficult, but at the time I was hand stacking 100 lb sacks of sugar into rail cars. grin

The hand press will make ammo accurate enough to hunt any game. And my entire reloading set, including a couple pounds of powder fit in one shoe box and slid under the bed.

I would nor recommend any one spend a lifetime reloading on a hand press. It is much better to have a couple of bench mounted presses, and an entire room devoted to the hobby.

But the hand press will get you by until better accommodations can be made.

I would much rather scrimp a little on the press, and load with the Lee hand press, than I would scrimp on the scale. Get a good scale. At least as good as the RCBS 5-0-5. Preferably the 10-10

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's ok to start with, but you would be better off with a low cost table press by Lee. I used the hand press at the range before, and I used it when I didnt have my standard setups.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've loaded in excess of 2000 rounds with mine from 30 Carbine to 45-70. Works well! I do not find it to require any great effort. As Idaho Shooter mentioned, make sure cases are well lubed but avoid excess on the shoulder or you will get dents. I actually prefer the Lee lanolin stuff to three other brands I've tried.

"Living is hazardous to your health..."
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The dog will hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not used one but I see folks at the range using them for on the spot load development.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Ditto about the shoebox holding everything. That was then, .45 ACP and .30-06.
Nowadays.....let's just say that I have more stuff and the shoebox is long gone.
Pete

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I used one for a LONG time and it worked great. The priming kit that came with mine worked very well also.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm in the same boat. I like the hand press. The key is good lubrication. I had to resize some 308 to 338 federal and that was a bear. But now that they are made up it's nice & doable. Using the proper amount of lubrication is key.

I use the Lee lube that came with the kit. I put some on a heavy canvas rag & roll the cartridges on that to lube them, works great & the canvas in low profile in the kit. I also use the powder lubricant (can't remember the name right now) on the necks and that seems to help.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's all I use and I've loaded a few. I've loaded up to 9.3x62 and with ease!!

I like it better than a bench mounted press and I had one of the best. I can feel/ detect things with the hand press that I couldn't with my CO-AX press. I can sit at my computer, in front of the television, or at the kitchen table while loading.

I'd like to see someone build something similar with higher quality materials though.

WAR EAGLE!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I am a new reloader, so take this for what it's worth, and started with a Lee hand press. It was hard resizing cases with it and for me, it was difficult to use when it came to adding powder and and seating the bullet without making a mess. I bought a C style press from Lee for about 30.00 bucks and the handle gives you way more leverage and don't have worry about pinching your fingers. I added another press after I got tired of changing the sizing die out for the bullet seater every time.

One like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Reloade..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43af23fe13

I don't have a permanent bench set up either and I ended up mounting the press on the end of a 2x4 that is about 18 inches long. I can attach the board mounted press to any table in my garage, or to the kitchen table, if my wife isn't home, using a C clamp. When I'm done with it, I just put it up on a shelf in the garage. I also mounted my powder measure a few inches behind the press on the 2x4 so it's convenient for loading batches of .308's for practice and hunting.

[Linked Image]

Bob.

Last edited by fishybobtrout; 04/26/12. Reason: Added picture

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 51 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,831
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.