Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been getting information in a discussion with a gunsmith over on AR about the 8x60S. Seems another accessible medium in the likes of the 318 WR. He indicated it really struts with a 250 grain Woodleigh which I was surprised to discover has a SD of .342. I believe that load from Woodleigh is set up for about 2350 fps-ish. In a trim little 8-8.25lb package the question is have many of us again overlooked another stellar medium bore for non-DG at normal (say to 300 yards) hunting ranges? I would imagine such a bullet would be hell on wheels.

The way life should be.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats .015", 30 gr of bullet mass and -50 fps to get really excited about over this...

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
but the question wasn't one of comparison but rather have we overlooked this cartridge, CMG. I, for one, am a fan of the 06!

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you would spend a wad of money to gain no particular advantage over more popular 8s.

Just thinking out loud though..

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't know enough about it GeoW. What it looks like however is an efficient 318 WR with a slightly bigger bullet. Dies and brass are available and there are plenty of good 8mm bullets. It appears to me the slight length advantage over the 8x57 gives it enough extra juice to get the heavier bullet going and doesn't appear to require seating into the powder column as does the 8mm-06. I was merely wondering out loud too if it is another viable medium bore in the company of the 318 WR/338-06. and believe I've answered my own question.

The way life should be.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
bluefish,

I have an 8x60S and am in the process of building a 2nd one. So far, I've not worked much with it. And I don't expect to load anything heavier than a 195 gr. Hornady.

The problem with the 8x60S, is that it's a "tweener" cartridge. It was invented for a specific purpose. Once that purpose disappeared, the cartridge pretty much disappeared. If one is going to build one, it necessitates a long action. And thus; one might just as well build an 8x63. And when you get there, you realize that the 8x63 really doesn't do much that the '06 can't do... smile Or if you truly want a heavier bullet, then the .338/06 has a MUCH better bullet selection.

Of course, that is what happens when you apply logic to the situation... blush A bad habit of mine...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bluefish,

the .318 WR takes a .330" Bullet - making the comparison you oh so shun, even more of a mood point.

Many cartridges are the result of the "not invented here" mindset, leading people to over and over answer the same question, oft to the point of none even having been asked.

So - all well - for the guy wanting something different.

Fact remains - while .015" make one heck of a difference inside the rifle barrel, its negligable terminally.

And so - we have the best of both worlds.

You have something different to argue minutae with the more practical minded.

These later have a reason to sling some internet mud at you and so the campfire turns...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bluefish
I've been getting information in a discussion with a gunsmith over on AR about the 8x60S. Seems another accessible medium in the likes of the 318 WR. He indicated it really struts with a 250 grain Woodleigh which I was surprised to discover has a SD of .342. I believe that load from Woodleigh is set up for about 2350 fps-ish. In a trim little 8-8.25lb package the question is have many of us again overlooked another stellar medium bore for non-DG at normal (say to 300 yards) hunting ranges? I would imagine such a bullet would be hell on wheels.
..............Despite any good performance levels, the basic problem with the 8mms, is that most if not all 8mm cartridges are not all that popular to begin with.

Because of the lesser popularity with the 8mms, it is much easier imo for the general marketplace to overlook those 8s which have not and do not get "their fair due."

Growing up, my dad among other rifles, had a sporterized 8mm Mauser.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
not enough coffee today, cmg? not sure what I shunned but thanks for the talk. good talk.

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best gun talk parody I've seen in a while! Thanks guys. smile

WAR EAGLE!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe to much...

grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cabelas in Dundee once had a Rigby Mauser takedown rifle in 318WR. Don't remember the price but its a good thing i didn't have that amount of money in my pocket that day.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
as a person whose favorite bullet in an 06 is the 220 grain RN like CMG posted...

and also a proud owner of ONE 338/06...

I'd really have a hard time seeing a reason for the 8 x 60, except if one of my miiitary Mausers had a head space issue and it could be easily solved by boring it out to a 8 x 60 or 8/06...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How is it so difficult for so many people to "have a hard time" for a cartridge? Realistically, we "need" about four different cartridges, plus one shotgun and one .22. Fortunately, we have about 247 centerfire cartridges out there, and if you like it you get to use it. Thankfully, this is still America, so it is quite insignificant if anyone else seems to like it. And while some seem to fear that it will slip out of sight if it's no longer being sold in some cartridge -- I have several that haven't been produced since about WWII, and they still reload just fine.

In short -- buy a cartridge with no fear, whether anyone is still making it or not. You will still be able to shoot it just fine.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,803
Posts18,496,365
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.