Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
My oldest son is currently deployed and wants to research over-and-unders (he likes them) with the idea of buying one when he gets back. I know next to nothing about shotgunning, so I suggested he take a wingshooting course, get a stock fitting and consider their gun suggestions. He wants something to read while he's away, so I'd appreciate a title or two that would help get him off to a good start. Doesn't have to be about over-and-unders [/i]per se[i]. Thanks!

GB1

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Shotgunning, The Art and The Science by Bob Brister is about the best book on shotgunning that I have read. Give your son my thanks for his service to our country.

Regards, Fezant

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two good ones below. Bristers is older but IMO still one of the best. Barsness's is more current, with a lot of common sense info and great photography.

"Shotgunning: The Art & Science" Bob Brister

"Shotguns For Wingshooting" John Barsness

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Best book I ever bought concerning a shotgun, shooting and everything related:

Stock Fitter's Bible by Rollin Oswald

I laughed when it was recommended to me. It actually improved my shooting skill afield, scores on the various courses and total enjoyment of the sport and hunt.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thank you all!

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I think of these books as essential:

Technical
Brister
Gough Thomas aka GT Garwood (the guy Brister quotes). Shotguns & Cartridges, Shotgun Shooting Facts, Gun Book.
Michael McIntosh - Shotgun Technicana

Lore, Light Technical
Gene Hill - any and all.
Michael McIntosh - any and all
Steve Bodio - Good Guns Again (great all around gun book)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for anything written by Gene Hill.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"The Double Shotgun" by Don Zutz, Winchester Press, 1978. "The history and development of the world's most classic sporting firearms."

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shotgun technicana is a great book... took me about two years to find a copy... see some seriously high prices on that book but a great break down of the evolution of all of the different types of SL and BL actions as well as multiple types of extractors, ejectors, and single triggers.

Guessing it will be even harder to come by now that MM has passed though David Trevallion is still working hard and I talked to him at one point not too long ago and he mentioned possibly republishing the book.

Andrew
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Orphanedcowboy
Best book I ever bought concerning a shotgun, shooting and everything related:

Stock Fitter's Bible by Rollin Oswald

I laughed when it was recommended to me. It actually improved my shooting skill afield, scores on the various courses and total enjoyment of the sport and hunt.

+1 on this book. The info has helped my understanding and scores.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
JMHO, but the best 'lessons' in shotgunning is found on a range with an instructor; whether trap, skeet or clays... And for some - you either 'got it' or you ain't 'got it', and not much one way or the other will do much to change it..

Only my .02

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That pretty much sums up my opinion too Redneck. All mentioned are good reads.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Shotguns" by Keith.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by fezant
Shotgunning, The Art and The Science by Bob Brister is about the best book on shotgunning that I have read. Give your son my thanks for his service to our country.

Regards, Fezant

+++1!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The problem with books is that they put to much info for you to think about between your ears. Anytime you start using that thing between your ears your shotgun shooting scores will go down.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
The problem with books is that they put to much info for you to think about between your ears. Anytime you start using that thing between your ears your shotgun shooting scores will go down.

Agreed.. The only exception, IMHO, for true newbies is to get the proper stance totally ingrained so that you don't even think about it at the line.. That takes a while..but once it's done, the rest is the result of instinctive hand/eye coordination and knowing your firearm..

As an example - I started playing pool at about age 12.. Played for about 15 years and thought I knew the game.. Did ok, but knew I was missing something.. Found a teaching pro in the Twin Cities and paid for lessons.. The first week, I learned one of the most basic things I was missing - the proper stance and angle of body/cue position.. That alone raised my game.. I was determined to be the best I could be at this game and took every lesson to heart - practiced sometimes 6-8 hours/day, six days a week.. After a few months the stance was automatic - never had to even think about it..

I applied the same techniques to trap/skeet...and the results were similar.. Much better overall scores and averages.. IMVHO, the stance is critical to good scores in shotgunning..

YMMV...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you have any interest in vintage guns, particularly vintage British guns, Diggory Haddock's book "Vintage Guns for the Modern Shot" is an excellent resource. It's geared toward getting old guns shooting again, rather than being a collector's guide, and I learned alot about evaluating old shotguns from reading it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I love shooting pool. Specially straight pool, which not too many people play. 8 and 9 ball is the most popular round here. Some oldtimers at the bars will play 3 ball which is always fun. Back in my 20's and 30's I played everyday.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I love shooting pool. Specially straight pool, which not too many people play. 8 and 9 ball is the most popular round here.
Same here - especially for singles.. Team play is usually 8-ball..
Some oldtimers at the bars will play 3 ball which is always fun. Back in my 20's and 30's I played everyday.
Never did that one (unless you're talking about billiards (one red, two white balls)..

About five decades ago some of the locals would play golf (never did figure that one out) and snooker.. You wanna learn how to be accurate in pocket billiards - snooker's the game to play.. Those pockets are TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT... And the dang table's so big, it has a horizon.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Love snooker and Billiards. You don't see many places atleast around here with either a snooker or billiards table. I know of one billiards table in the state at a pool hall.

3 ball is a gambling game. Three balls racked in a triangle your break counts as your first shot. Person to sink all three balls in the fewest shots wins. In the case of a tie, all players are still in for for the next round, everyone re-anties up. Continue until there is a winner. Then start again.

I have seen one person run all three on the break once. My best effort ever has been a lot of two's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,662
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.