24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
OP Offline
Hey folks! Here are the links to some of the trail horses I'd like to look at. These two geldings are mature and well-practiced at packing folks around:

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-565512

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=20129367&cat=106&lpid=3&search=

This little mare is priced very low--but she's actually the closest to where I live and I feel she's worth a look. She won't win any beauty contests, but she looks tough!

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=20129837&cat=106&lpid=4&search=

This mare is not really in the mold of the others--but I've added her to the list because she fits the qualities of my "dream" horse and wanted your opinions of her. Perfect conformation and bloodlines. Young though, and the ad says she requires an "experienced" rider. In this case, however, I don't think that the seller is using that phrase as code for "wild as a March hare" and untouchable--just saying that she's young and sensitive. What are your thoughts?

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-529723

If you are not willing to go back every day and start over, you should not have started to begin with--because, you might have to start over a lot of days in a row before it carries over from one day to the next. BUCK BRANNAMAN
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
'Dream horse' and 'mare' don't fit in the same sentence.

OP Offline
Huntsman, I'd usually agree with you absolutely on that, but a few of the mares I've helped start these last four months of my apprenticeship have really changed my mind. Plus, the little mare I rescued and broke in for my little sister three years ago is the sweetest tempered equine I've ever known:
[Linked Image]

That's me on my little sister's mare, Eclipse. Trust us, we named her that well before we knew there'd be a stupid book about a vampire with "Eclipse" in the title.

If you are not willing to go back every day and start over, you should not have started to begin with--because, you might have to start over a lot of days in a row before it carries over from one day to the next. BUCK BRANNAMAN
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I prefer a smaller horse and the 1st one is too big for me.

I'd prefer the other gelding, as I generally prefer a gelding over a mare, but I have had good of both. At present I have a molly mule as my main ride, but I sure wish she had come out of her mama with different plumbing.

Of the two mares, the gray seems better and you can't beat the price. I'd put the age/experience ahead of a 4 yr old.

The bay mare sure seems to have alot of doing for just a 4 yr old which I would be leery of.I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the breeding of the bay.Of course blood lines give an indication of how a horse might perform, but in the end,it's all about the individual horse.You can get good or bad out of them, no matter the breeding.I'd say something might not be right with the bay mare if they are giving her up and selling as a trail horse.I just get suspecious when I see a horse advertised such as that.However, if the price is right and she is close.I'd go look at her

Of course as with any horse offered for sale, what the seller says and what the horse does is usually a little bit if not a lot apart. In addition, the buying price of a horse is always the cheapest part of horse ownership.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/26/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I agree with this as a rule, but there are exceptions, of which I had one. Ruby the wonder horse died last June at 30.

But, every horse is an individual. That first horse looks tall in the photo, but I know very few people that actually measure their horses height or tape their weight, let alone get them on a scale. I think all that has to be taken with a grain of NaCl.

I know horse prices have dropped down there in America smile with the economy and lack of hay last year from heat and drought. I would look very closely at any $650 horse, but that gray "sounds" good.

If it was me, I'd look, but not be in much of a rush - BTDT. It usually doesn't work out well.

1) too tall
2) sold
3) possible
4) too young

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by saddlesore
In addition, the buying price of a horse is always the cheapest part of horse ownership.

Oh, so true!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Well I'll be the odd man out. I don't mind at all riding a mare. Yes they can have "a moment" at times but then so do I!!!:o) I personally would like a younger horse so that the opportunity is available for more time w/ the horse if all works out. And I prefer a taller horse as I have to do a LOT of cross country travel & get tired of playing w/the sagebrush. Good luck w/ whatever route you choose.
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by huntsman22

+100

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Well I'll be the odd man out. I don't mind at all riding a mare.

I don't mind riding mares either, including my own.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Like I said, re: mares - there are exceptions.

To wit: Ruby The Wonder Horse. All ya had to do was ask.

[Linked Image]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

OP Offline
Thank you all so much! I especially liked IronBender's succinct list, that was too funny! And, you're absolutely right--buying a horse is the cheapest part of owning one. The little black mare in the photo only cost 200 dollars, since the elderly owner was just trying to give her away and retain some dignity. I'd say that--over the last three years--the farrier, board, and vet bills have added up to a good deal more than that.

I had made plans to go see the bay 15 year old gelding, but he got snatched up a bit too quickly. I am on to the gray mare. If she is as good as the seller claims she is though, I don't think she'll last long either.

Any tips on specific questions I should ask before or after the test ride? I have the horrible habit of falling in love too easily, especially if I'm having a good time. With horses, of course--not with people smile

OP Offline
Ruby was such a pretty girl. God rest her smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SedonaMare
Thank you all so much! I especially liked IronBender's succinct list, that was too funny!

Basics ma'am!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For the verticaly challenged ,those tall horses can be a challenge themselves. grin

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and it's a long way to the ground....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Don't you keep a step ladder in camp, Vince? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender

As huntsman eluded to, it's not the getting on that's a problem it's the unexpected getting off. grin

The original international turd
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Of these, my pick for you would be the gray mare. She's the solid one to get you going now, but she does have some age on her. The little bay roan mare is a prospect. Mares vary widely on disposition. I gave one away last year that I really liked except she was a walking estrogen festival. Then they are some mares that act like geldings. Because of the price, I would take a look at the gray mare. With horses you want to hold your money together. Should she not be a perfect fit you can likely turn around and get your money back.
Of course, you could be like the woman from Wisconsin who is in the news. She embezzled more than $30,000,000 from a town of 17,000 in order to be in the horse business. She had taken some $3,000,000 in the past year. Good criminal talent -- hers faded -- seems to be the key for success in the horse business these days.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by maarty
Originally Posted by ironbender

As huntsman eluded to, it's not the getting on that's a problem it's the unexpected getting off. grin

It's not only the getting on, and the possibilty of falling further but throwing that darn saddle up there for 10-15 days in a row in the dark, in the cold,in the snow.

I had a really nice 16hd walker mule that I finally sold becasue of that. My 6'-2 hunting pard had an identical one as he always wanted a tall mule.He now rides a1 3&1/2 hd mule and the tall one stays home.
Since the gelding is sold,I"d go with the gray mare.13 yrs old doesn't bother me. She still has 8-10 good years in her, maybe moere if treated right.Just make sure she is 13 and not older.Some sellers will fib a little once they are smoothed mouth.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/27/12.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've taken that gravity-assisted voyage. cry

The other thing is when an uninitiated person sees some draft breed and asks, "would'nt you like to have that horse to pack"?

I tell them only if they lift the panniers up there and pay the feed bill! grin

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.