Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SedonaMare
Huntsman, I'd usually agree with you absolutely on that, but a few of the mares I've helped start these last four months of my apprenticeship have really changed my mind. Plus, the little mare I rescued and broke in for my little sister three years ago is the sweetest tempered equine I've ever known:
[Linked Image]

That's me on my little sister's mare, Eclipse. Trust us, we named her that well before we knew there'd be a stupid book about a vampire with "Eclipse" in the title.
a mare is mare, period

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by huntsman22
$150 divided by $2.60 is 57 bales. 2000 divided by 57 is 35 pounds per bale. tiny bastids.....

You have to bale light so the women and small girls can handle them. Half the girls in some of these barns don't weigh 100 pounds. I have wheel and skid loaders with forks so I round bale my place.

Interesting info. I have been working with a freelance journalist from Boston on an article she is doing on "The Feminization of the Horse Industry." What caught her attention, besides the reduced weight of sacked feed, was the term "Husband Horses." Out here we have "kid's horse" and "woman's horse" but evidently back east they have "husband horse" to describe a horse that is really, really safe and gentle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mtrancher
Out here we have "kid's horse" and "woman's horse" but evidently back east they have "husband horse" to describe a horse that is really, really safe and gentle.

I only ever heard that term thrown around at those english barns. You don't hear that term in New Holland Pa. Amish country or any place where a horse is a tool of the trade.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Since i raise my horses i ride whatever comes out and good ones are good no matter the sex. I will readily admit though that running them together helps. A bunch of old geldings don't seem to let a mare act up as bad. When horses run in a herd they don't seem to aquire the idiosyncracies that those stalled or run in small pens do. You can sure tell when one is horsing but it;s their day to work or go to a roping thats just what we do. I don't pay any attention to them.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The mare i'm roping on now horses so strong she has a white discharge all over both hind legs but i never see any difference in her performance or attitude.
Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Every mare is different.Some show a lot,some act up, and some you never know.I prefer not to deal with it if possible.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/07/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I used to run a saddle mare with the geldings and never had any problems, then I got a new neighbor across the fence and we had to agree on a "no mare" policy. Nothing has worked well since, so no more saddle mares.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I get my bales off the wagon from my neighbor/hay supplier. $3 a bale and they run about 40-45 pounds.

Round bales I have to drive to get. They run about 400 pounds and are $30 stored indoors.

I'm sure prices will go up this year.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Theres no better way to cripple your good gelding than leaving them out with mares. When boys play, they rear. When girls "play", they kick. Bad combination.

Hay here has been over $300/ton for some time.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You fellers are tempting me to haul a giant trailer down to America for hay! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/grd/3001587747.html

HAY-HAY-HAY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-05-07, 11:46AM PDT
Reply to: cwrg2-3001587747sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orchard Mix - $330
3 sring bales 105-110pds
19 bales per ton
768-5036 V&V Hay

whoever thought you could get rich watching the grass grow?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here is the recent price on hay in L.A. according to my sister:
50-lb. Timothy bale is $18.50 per bale plus 8.75% sales tax. Delivery is extra.
Alfalfa is $17.95 per bale plus tax and delivery.
Straw is $14 a bale plus tax and delivery.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Husband horse ad:http://www.localhorse.com/Ads/Georgia/Horses-for-Sale/Draft/Handsome-Husband-Horse-or-Trail-Buddy-Buchanan-GA-17533.htm

Also, my sister was told recently to expect hay to go to $25 for a 50-lb bale by September.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Shows the trend of the horse industry. Seems to be more female dominated(especially in the North East) Marketing horses as husband safe. So hubby can ride with you. Dead broke plug that hubby wont get hurt on.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Robster
Dead broke plug that hubby wont get hurt on.

Can't let hubby get hurt, he has to go to work to pay for these things.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looks like we need to start selling some of our hay!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This $4.25 a gallon fuel isn't helping the situation much either. Farmers rather sell it off the field or out of the barn at a below market price than load it up and take it to a hay auction where the closest one is 60 miles from here.

OP Offline
Hey all! Thanks so much for the interest and advice. Sadly, my horse search has come to an indefinite hiatus. I have not been able to visit with you all lately as my family has suffered a bit of an upheaval. My mother was let go from her position at work, and as such my monetary priorities have shifted back towards helping my family. Although I already pay rent and a portion of our utilities, I just don't think it's the right time to add another proverbial mouth to feed, much as I'm dying to. Just going to have to keep sharing the mare with my little sister. It works out well, though--every time she rides, I walk. Keeps me in fighting trim smile

If I can get off work, I'm going to accompany my trainer at the Heber Valley Horse Sale next weekend, to give some of the horses I helped work a nice send-off.

http://www.hebervalleyhorsesales.com/

This big black gelding, "Lefty," is my personal favorite. Edited to add that his registered name is "Ad Cool Moon."

[Linked Image]
Smoothest jog and lope I've ridden in a long time. Good looking, and good minded. If any of you are looking for a young horse with potential as a super fancy 4-H or trail horse, he's the ticket. I put the 5th through 12th rides on him, and he never gave me a lick of trouble. At four years old, he's about 15.3 and 1200 pounds. Started right! He will have about 40 rides by the time of the sale. My trainer offered him to me for 1500 six weeks ago, but I was concerned about finishing such a gorgeous animal to be my stalwart mountain partner and not some sort of Western Pleasure star. Considering recent events, I'm glad I didn't take him. Re-selling him would have brought on too much heartbreak, he's just so nice.
Any of you all going to be there?

If you are not willing to go back every day and start over, you should not have started to begin with--because, you might have to start over a lot of days in a row before it carries over from one day to the next. BUCK BRANNAMAN
OP Offline
And in case you're comparing this latest photo to the other, I really did cut off all that hair! My other passion is stage-acting, and I got cast in a role that required a pixie-cut. I donated my locks, and am working on growing it all back smile

If you are not willing to go back every day and start over, you should not have started to begin with--because, you might have to start over a lot of days in a row before it carries over from one day to the next. BUCK BRANNAMAN
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good luck to you, but don't be a stranger.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.