Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I picked up a 50 lb. recurve this winter and I've been getting some practice in and had a few questions. What is considered a good practice distance for a recurve? I've been shooting a lot at 15 and 20 yds. Moved the target out to 25 yds last night for a few shots.

Currently I'm shooting off the shelf, should I think about a rest? Are there benefits to a rest versus the shelf?

I'm also shooting three fingers under, are there benefits to split finger shooting? Would that change the position of my nock?

What are your personal limitations for shooting game with traditional gear? Less than 20 yds? 30 yds?

I know this last one is a loaded question, what is considered a decent group with traditional gear? When do you say, I'm good enough to kill something?

I ask the last question because I've always been a rifle hunter and like it or not, you can hit a deer in a lot of places with a bullet and it will go down. That window of opportunity is much smaller with an arrow. I'd rather leave my bow at home than leave a wounded deer in the woods.

Deal with it.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not shoot at an animal past 25 with my longbow.

A decent group in my opinion is 8 out 10 arrows on a paper plate at your limit on game.

You could always put fur on the shelf so the arrow is a bit quieter when drawn back.

I use the one finger above and two under but it is more about how you shoot best.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still have all my recurves and longbows, but have shot them very little in the last 10 years or so.

Target indoor leagues I participated in were primarily at 20 yards. 60 arrows at 5 points max apiece would get you a max score of 300. I was usually in the 260 - 270 point range, which was a group of about 3" diameter. I tried to stay with that range or less while hunting because I was comfortable with it. I shot with a guy who fletched his homemade, self knocked arrows with sinew tied turkey feathers from his turkeys and his homemade self-bow . . . he consistently shot in the 285 to 295 range.

I learned to shoot the split fingers way and tried the three fingers under on a whim - my scores went up so I stayed with it. I liked it because I can use the tip of the arrow almost as a "sight".

Off the shelf shooting won't break while a rest can (and in my experience, will) but I have done both and don't necessarily prefer one over the other.

Just have fun and practice, practice, practice . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say the answer to all your questions is it depends and personal preference. Might want to check out some of the traditional archery related sites, tradgang, stickbow, etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKBoater
So I picked up a 50 lb. recurve this winter and I've been getting some practice in and had a few questions. What is considered a good practice distance for a recurve? I've been shooting a lot at 15 and 20 yds. Moved the target out to 25 yds last night for a few shots.

Currently I'm shooting off the shelf, should I think about a rest? Are there benefits to a rest versus the shelf?

I'm also shooting three fingers under, are there benefits to split finger shooting? Would that change the position of my nock?

What are your personal limitations for shooting game with traditional gear? Less than 20 yds? 30 yds?

I know this last one is a loaded question, what is considered a decent group with traditional gear? When do you say, I'm good enough to kill something?

I ask the last question because I've always been a rifle hunter and like it or not, you can hit a deer in a lot of places with a bullet and it will go down. That window of opportunity is much smaller with an arrow. I'd rather leave my bow at home than leave a wounded deer in the woods.

For practice...the farther the better. It ingrains the arc of the arrow in your brain. You are already "good enough" to hunt with your recurve. The question that you have to answer is how far are you confident in shooting? It may only be 5 yards.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I tried the paper plates at 15 yds last night. 10 out of 12 were good shots. And the occasional wide shot was off by more than a deer. I'm thinking I mess up my release because every so often an arrow just goes off. I'm thinking it's because I'm pulling my fingers to the side (on bad shots) instead of releasing back. Still working on the mechanics of consistent shooting. But having some fun for sure.

Deal with it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You will get many different answers to your questions because it is such an individual thing that comes down to experience and comfort level... trad is really so much more of a "feel" thing.

Your own personal shot distance comfort level will expand with time and practice. I've been shooting a recurve for along time, and I practice out to 40, but won't take a shot at a game animal beyond 30 under the best of circumstances. On a good day I can put 5 arrows into a 6" circle at 30 yds... and that's on a good day. (I'm an elk hunter so 6" is good enough). So 30 yds is my MAX distance under perfect conditions (open country, relaxed, still and unsuspecting target, no wind)... in heavy cover with a bull looking for my last cow call eyes wide open screaming and blowing snot at me... more like 20 yds or less depending on cover, shooting lanes, etc.

Oh, and I shoot 3 fingers under only because my first recurve (used) had limbs made for a guy that shot three under... so I just learned that way. Now I like it because all I have to do it sight with the tip of my broad head and at 20 ids I put the tip of the BH right where I want the arrow to hit (on flat ground anyway)... at 30 yds I hold a few inches high depending on what total arrow weight I'm shooting. Makes it easy for my pea sized bran to remember in the heat of the moment.

God Bless America!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKBoater
Well I tried the paper plates at 15 yds last night. 10 out of 12 were good shots. And the occasional wide shot was off by more than a deer. I'm thinking I mess up my release because every so often an arrow just goes off. I'm thinking it's because I'm pulling my fingers to the side (on bad shots) instead of releasing back. Still working on the mechanics of consistent shooting. But having some fun for sure.

I won't get into the "sight" vs. "instinctive" shooting, but I can say that you will be better served shooting one arrow at a time during practice. Groups are not important...just one shot. Just concentrate on the target, maintain a consistant anchor point, release and follow-thru. In that order.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good points. I realized last night that I was starting to shoot more instinctively. A few shots I said to myself, I'm going to put the arrow between those two other arrows. I don't remember aiming, it was just a feeling that I wanted the arrow to go "right there" and it did.

Deal with it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It sounds like you're well on your way. smile Another thing to try is shooting at a lighted candle in the dark. You'll learn at lot.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That just sounds like too much fun.

Deal with it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Until you ha e to find the damn arrows!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't forget to "pick a spot" on the paper plate. That may be why you missed twice. It is almost always my downfall, when I miss.

I will shoot to 20 yards and that is about it for me. Three years ago I started to draw on a bull elk, but did not like the angle and did not release. I can't remember how far he was, but it was not much past 25-30 yards. You have to know your limits and stick to them.

It is kind of fun to go out on my farm and shoot at hay bales, (the big round ones) sometimes as far as 75 to 80 yards or so.. amazing how you can get zeroed in on them rather quickly. But that is just practise for fun.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I mark my arrows and will frequently find one that just doesn't want to fly right. Those become "grouse" arrows and ones I put judo points on for stump shooting.

I'm a 20 yard guy on big game, and a 30 yard guy on small game.

I think that finding a field full of ground squirrels will do more for your shooting than tossing arrows at a target all day. You should get your form solid, then practice in real life scenarios.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I forgot to add...I've been shooting traditional bows for 40 years, and every once in a while an arrow will go WAY off target. I just chalk it up to lack of concentration.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been shooting traditional for as long as I can remember. I am going on 45 here in a few months so I have been at it awhile. Shooting off of the shelf is much more accurate for me than off of an elevated rest. The arrow is much closer to your hand and less affected by canting the bow than with a rest. Also it is one less thing to break. Use a shelf pad of some sort and some sort of string silencers, and you will be amazed at how quiet a tradtional bow can be shooting heavy shafts.

I shot three finger under when I started. I shoot well with that style out to 20- 25 yards or so. I switched over to split finger when I got more serious about it and bought my first custom bow. Instead of aiming the arrow I began to switch to just "burning a hole" into the target in the more "instinctive" style of shooting. My paper target scores went down as the concentration required was too much to last for a full tournament round. But my accuracy on game shots went up dramatically, as did my 3D scores. The key is constant practice to keep your brain and muscles in tune.

Once I get my set up dialed in I rarely shoot groups. I tend to shoot one arrow per target then move to another spot then shoot one arrow from it, and so on. I also like to refine my unknown distance shooting by putting on some judo points and shooting at dandilion heads, wind blown leaves, tufts of grass, etc out to 60 to 80 yards or so. Only one shot at each target then move. Add some FLU FLU arrows and have someone throw aerial targets for you. Attend some traditional friendly 3D shoots and add competition to your practice with others watching to add stress to your shots. All of this will help you develope your hand eye coordination and concentration with your given set up and help make you a deadly game shot.

Just remember to keep your practices fun and get out of the rut of shooting the same way each time. Traditional archery is more about breaking out of restraints and complications of the compound and getting more in tune with your natural abilities.

Be careful of shooting too heavy a bow too quickly, find a consistant anchor point, don't choke the bow grip to death, work on your follow through, and quit when you get tired or arrows just are not flying right that day so you do not develope bad habits, and enjoy the change. It is well worth the effort.

Finding your range to shoot game is a personal issue. Once you get enough practice and time in the field with your traditional bow you can kind of "feel" the shot. One day that shot may be a percect lung shot at 30 yards the next you may pass on a ten yarder because it did not "feel right". Time and experience will tell you your limits. You will miss, we all do, but you will get a feel for shots you can make and ones you need to pass. Practice at long range on non living targets is your trainer.

One last thing, Once I get within a month of the season I only practice with the broadheads and shafts I am going to hunt with to be sure the arrow flight is ingrained in my brain. I have found that I can get field points to shoot to the same point of impact as my broadheads with wood shafts, but not with carbons so far.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I forgot to add...I've been shooting traditional bows for 40 years, and every once in a while an arrow will go WAY off target. I just chalk it up to lack of concentration.

powell- I have the same thing happen sometimes as well, and I mean WAY WAY off target, like can't find the arrow way off target. I like to blame the arrow, it helps my ego stay inflated...

PS- I love your spastic pig avatar, I get a chuckle out of it every time I see one of your posts. Looks like me in the morning when I've had too much coffee.

God Bless America!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks. I was gonna get rid of it one time, but one of the Campfire ne'er-do-wells told me how offensive it was to him, so I'm stuck with it forever. smile

For me, shooting my traditional stuff is just like shooting a shotgun. It is amazing how good you can be when you have focus. Practicing with my bow is quite a bit like shooting clay birds. I am a really good shot with a shotgun, but don't compete seriously because after while, I just don't care anymore. I mean...I want to hit the target, but have just lost the concentration needed. (That stray arrow is like missing that straight-away low house on the skeet range.)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Chuckling at that pig again... he looks like he's got an electrocution rod up his ass!

God Bless America!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Thanks. I was gonna get rid of it one time, but one of the Campfire ne'er-do-wells told me how offensive it was to him, so I'm stuck with it forever. smile

For me, shooting my traditional stuff is just like shooting a shotgun. It is amazing how good you can be when you have focus. Practicing with my bow is quite a bit like shooting clay birds. I am a really good shot with a shotgun, but don't compete seriously because after while, I just don't care anymore. I mean...I want to hit the target, but have just lost the concentration needed. (That stray arrow is like missing that straight-away low house on the skeet range.)

Ain't that the truth!!!

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.