Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Tex, I believe it to be a fun disease so far, and yes, highly addictive, I'm gonna continue to ring out my 45-120 and file check marks on the laddered buckhorn to the yardages of the final hunting load.

Then I will be on a search for another one as well, but have no idea what cartridge to pick from shocked, the 120 is a dead nuts killer, I'm thinkin' somewhere around a 38-55 in a nice trim little Sharps.

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL...NAW EH, but i'd gopher some bacon wrapped Buffler loin laugh

Gunner

Oh, and i jest met a man last Thursday that can most likely git yer charcoal burner up and runnin' wink

You might have to settle for a ribeye...

my 45/90...

[Linked Image]

Needs trigger work, safety eliminated and sight properly installed.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Shiloh is showing the 1874 available in .405 Winchester, which is not a low pressure cartridge, so I think it's probably strong enough to tolerate any "leaned-on" load your shoulder can tackle smile

I think ya'll are all bad influences, anyway. grin

A week ago I decided to sell a Baer to fund a Dakota M10, but now ye all got me wafflin' toward a BPCR, after I actually did sell the Baer. grin

I actually got my first deer 20+years ago with a Browning B78, in .25-06, the first of a dozen or more single shot rifles. I've dabbled with muzzleloaders, but never Black in a cartridge rifle. I know I could run Black in the Ruger .45-70, but it seems more fitting to do it with something period correct. The Miroku High Walls are very well made, but I'd prefer to buy something made here. Anyhow, I am debating between a High Wall of some sort, or a Shiloh. I sent Shiloh a couple of questions via email; hopefully I'll figure out what the heck I am doing, sometime soon. smile

I would highly recommend the Shiloh Sharps. I have always loved old guns and have little to no use for reproductions. That said, I still find plenty of room in my safe for a Shiloh Sharps. They are actually better made than the originals, still produced the old fashioned way, one step at a time all operations are done by hand or personally overseen during any machining process.

I was just there today and they have a few rifles in the rack for immediate sale. Forget the High Wall and get the Shiloh, you won't be sorry, and you get the backing of a Montana family when you buy a Sharps. Any other reproduction is made foreign and you won't be able to talk to the president or CEO for any reason. Not so at Shiloh, the whole family works there and Kirk is now the general manager and will always take the time to help you make your decision. I could sell these guns, they are that good...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shrapnell is dead right on all counts. I couldn't agree with him more. You WILL NOT regret getting a Shiloh, and wish you had bought something else, ever. Get something else, and at some point you will always wish you had a Shiloh.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Anyhow, I am debating between a High Wall of some sort, or a Shiloh. I sent Shiloh a couple of questions via email; hopefully I'll figure out what the heck I am doing, sometime soon. smile

Several makers of highwalls - Wyoming Armory is now making one from scratch for instance. They do nice work. CSharps is another that will make a decent highwall. There are others.

Nothing wrong with a Highwall. They are good looking rifles that give up nothing to any other make or model. They even have a few advantages that some might prefer.

I have a couple of each. Can't go wrong either way.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76

Gunner

Oh, and i jest met a man last Thursday that can most likely git yer charcoal burner up and runnin' wink

my 45/90...

[Linked Image]

You need an 8 3/8 Mod 57...just sayin wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by eh76

Gunner

my 45/90...

[Linked Image]

That'll work X2 EH grin nice rifle.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Shrapnell is dead right on all counts. I couldn't agree with him more. You WILL NOT regret getting a Shiloh, and wish you had bought something else, ever. Get something else, and at some point you will always wish you had a Shiloh.

You saw my old 120 at work Sharpsguy, what would be your suggestion for another BPCR for me?
Keeping in mind it will be used 99% for hunting and 1% light target work.

Thanks,
Gunner

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok since you guys "dissed" my latest target on my PP thread, I feel compelled to post it here but if you want a description, you'll have to read it on the OP smile

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think I would get a Number 3 Sporter with a 30 inch standard weight barrel and a shotgun buttplate in 40-65. It would be light and easy to carry, and with the right bullet, there is NO recoil and enough horsepower to blow through an elk side to side. The 40-65 is frowned on by Sharps purists as it is not an original Sharps chambering, but neither is a 30-40 Krag or a 405 Winchester.

The 40-65 is accurate, not tempermental, and easy and inexpensive to load for. With a 250 grain cast bullet, it will shoot completely through a deer at any angle out to 200 yards, and will shoot completely through a 5 inch diameter sweetgum tree at 50 yards with 60 grains of black powder. It has been overlooked as a hunting round, in my opinion.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hell, Jorge, we're all jealous. That is seriously good shooting and accuracy from your 45-110.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
'Scuse my greenness, but would that #3 Sporter be a C or a Shiloh? and i may presume your speakin' '74. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shiloh. Yup, a '74.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks ET. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dadgumit shocked, went to the Shiloh site and did a rifle build, a #3 Shiloh with the grey receiver and checkering is NICE, I choose a standard half round 30" barrel chambered in 40-82 Sharps, anything wrong with that cartridge?

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Details Jorge, we need details grin nice shootin' and how far out?

Gunner

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dadgumit shocked, went to the Shiloh site and did a rifle build, a #3 Shiloh with the grey receiver and checkering is NICE, I choose a standard half round 30" barrel chambered in 40-82 Sharps, anything wrong with that cartridge?

Gunner

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a .40-82 Sharps. The Shiloh catalog lists a Shiloh .40-82, which I believe is the same as a .40-82 Silhouette or .40-82 Crossno, which I have. There are at least three .40-82 versions that I am aware of.

I don't have time to go into it much right now, but I have considerable experience with that round, which is either identical to or close to what Shiloh is producing.

More later...

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yep. It's cranky due to the long powder column, kicks a bit, and brass can be problematic and hard to get at times. Dies can be pricey. Just get the 40-65 and live happily ever after. You can reach and/or kill anything with a 40-65 that you can with a 40-82 without the hassle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
??? I haven't experienced the "cranky", but brass is simply .45-90 brass FL sized in a .40-82 die. Never had a problem with it. No different than making .40-65 cases out of .45-70 brass.

The only special die you need is a dedicated FL size die, which I never use more than for the first forming. All other loading operations can be done with .40-65 dies.

It doesn't kick particularly hard, certainly not as much as any .45 of .45-90 size or greater.

All this assuming we're talking about the same round. The old .40-82 Winchester is a totally different cat.

As I said, gotta go, so more later, including group pic.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

410 members (160user, 1Longbow, 204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,445
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.