Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Just returned from a phenomenal day spent at the home of Bill Bagwell, all things Sharps rifles was the subject of discussion, at the table over coffee, at the loading bench, and at Bill's 500 yard silhouette range.

Bill started the class discussing my 45-120 and its rep for being cantankerous and un-ruly, thats a myth, Bill loaded up three different rounds for my rifle, 2 greasers, and 1 paper patch, made me a cool front sight out of an all copper penny, 19th century fiber optics grin. filed on the rear buckhorns a bit and we went to the range.

I was knocking the crap out of the little 100 yd pig, the 150 yrd ram, had a little trouble with the 300 yd buffalo, couldnt get a clear sight picture on the brisket area of the buffalo, someone was doing a controlled burn in the area and it was very smokey and kinda hazy.

Done pretty well with the 400 yd black dot, and Bill allowed I nearly knocked the 500 yd ram off the chains grin that paper patch slug at 500 had that ram dancin' on the chains, I was pleasantly shocked at the power level at that range.

This was my first lesson on shooting my rifle past 75 yds, and using the set-trigger at all, my rifle prefers the Jerry Dean 500 gn greaser, big flat nosed bullet, and BIGGER trouble for anything that gets in front of it.

Bill's lovely wife prepared two meals fit for a king, Elk stroganoff for lunch, and Shrimp and Chicken etouffee for dinner, both meals served with fresh sliced bread and butter, a truly gracious and wonderful lady lady.

The crowning jewel of the day was when I witnessed [through a 60X spotter] Bill take a favorite Shiloh chambered in 40-70 straight and fire "LESS" than MOA out at the 500 yd Ram with barrel sights, no BS, i saw it, and would have absolutely not remotely thought something like that was even possible with iron barrel sights, absolutely astounding.......hats off Bill, you know yer stuff. grin

One very strange thing happened on the 3 hour and 37 minute ride home, I not once reached and turned on the pickup radio, instead replaying the movie of the days events over and over in my head, and that speaks volume's.

Thanks a million Bill, I'll be back.

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'll start (and beat Jim et al to the punch) by stating: "you turbo suck"! grin

Envious, here!

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL George, I'm not worthy. blush

And i think ET provided the link for Bill and I to meet. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh man you are so screwed now. It's addicting (I just had a case of KIK powder delivered) I went through exactly the same epiphany back in 09 when ET gave me my 110 as a retirement gift. I'm planning a return engagement to see him and his lovely better half in the near future. So I take it there's a Buffalo Arms order (a big one!) in the offing!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, on the screwment grin and the BA order as well as the one with powder and bullet hand up in Clarksville, Ar, you know Jorge, I still love 'em, but I kinda had a different view of my scope sighted rifle's this morning shocked.

I fear this is the DARKNESS closing in i've heard so much about eek

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, you know all those scoped rifles you have now -- they may good trade bait for some poor, unenlightened sucker and you can turn the dollars around and by another "REAL" gun.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Once you go black everything else will just be "a passing fad" Your smokeless guns will see less and less use, trust me, I have a bunch of dust collectors in the safe.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
Once you go black everything else will just be "a passing fad" Your smokeless guns will see less and less use, trust me, I have a bunch of dust collectors in the safe.

Have to agree with this. Smokeless guns and jacketed bullets - all collecting dust.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We really enjoyed Gunner's visit, and he is welcome to come back here anytime. That 45-120 is a stone cold HAMMER, for sure and certain. I haven't loaded for one in quite a while, but this one came right on in with KIK powder.

Gunner picked up on how to use the sights in short order, and as it stands, any grizzly within 150 yards is a dead bear. I'm looking forward to the results of the upcoming bear hunt.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have a new and unbelievable appreciation for bullet flight and sight manipulation, damn mind boggling if ya think on it a bit.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks again Bill, I'm still slack-jawed today shocked

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd have traded places with you in a heart beat.

I've long thought the amount of skill and knowledge on this forum is massive and to be able to spend time with some of the BP gurus on here would be amazing.

The original international turd
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtnfisher
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40

Have to agree with this. Smokeless guns and jacketed bullets - all collecting dust.
Other than AR's and other military weapons, I only have one modern centerfire rifle, a bolt action Weatherby. The rest are old west.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You gotta get one of these next, to have something to back it up with.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Heh,heh,heh!!! And so comes the Darkness! grin

Last edited by EvilTwin; 04/27/12.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
?*&$%$*!!!!

lol

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thats a nice lookin' six-shooter EE, what is it?

And thats right Evil, it is getting mighty dark [black] around here grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by maarty
I'd have traded places with you in a heart beat.

I've long thought the amount of skill and knowledge on this forum is massive and to be able to spend time with some of the BP gurus on here would be amazing.

No doubt Marty, its a real cool feeling standing there talking to a lifesized Sharps Rifle dictionary smile very humbling, yet much appreciated experience. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinMaarty, if ya ever take the wrong turn at Albequerque and end up in our midst, I think we could have you screwed just as bad in very short order grin

Last edited by EvilTwin; 04/28/12.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maarty you get hooked up with this crowd bring your checkbook and/or plastic you'll soon need it ! whistle

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.