Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6439834 04/24/12
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
which is the go to target ammo. i am making a deal on a custom 40x with barrel tuner. does ammo matter with the tuner?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
does ammo matter with the tuner?

It sure does. A tuner won't turn cheap bulk ammo into Eley or Lapua.

For starters, I would pick up a box or few of some mid-grade target ammo like Wolf or Eley. In the higher grades in particular, be prepared for sticker shock. Up to 50 cents per round!

Interesting report of accuracy of various brands/types of .22 ammo:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
FWIW, Wolf Match Target and Match Extra are currently in stock at Natchez Shooting Supplies.

www.natchezss.com

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wolf MT or ME

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on your rifle. Every .22 rifle is a rule on to it's own.
I had a Winchester 52 that did not like Tenex or Eley club but LOVED CCI pistol match. I had a Winchester M75 that did not like the Fed Gold medal but LOVED Greentag. You just need to get an assortment of good ammo and take it to as wind free a range as you can find and shoot it.

My CZ 452 really likes Federal Classic and Remington Subsonics and shoots them almost as well as it shoots the high dollar match stuff.

You just don't know until you try them.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Ruger 10-22 with Kidd Barrel love the Wolfe Match Ammo. Warning this ammo is greasy, but it does preform at half the cost of Eley

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
thanks guys. i got the 40x today and took it to the range with some match ammo about 50 bucks worth. (you wernt kidding about price.) it seems the more exp stuff shot better. so how do i approach this,find the best and tune from there?
are any of you bench rest shooters?
should i test a 50 yards or 25 or what?
what kind of groups should i shoot 3 or 5 shot.
what kind of accuracy should i call good for competion? i saw 2 groups with the eley ammo under 1/4 at 50yds. kinda brezzy and spitting rain.
sorry for the dumb questions but i have never even watched a rf benchrest match so i dont know squat. this rifle just fell in my lap cheap so here we go....thanks

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You're asking some pretty broad questions there. What kind of competition? The standards vary greatly, with formal benchrest probably at the pinnacle. There are so many different disciplines for .22s.

Best I can suggest is to pick something for which for your rifle would be suitable, and do your testing at the longest range involved. For example, the longest smallbore silhouette target is at 100 meters. A silhouette rifle should deliver acceptable accuracy at that distance.

There are all kinds of debates over how many shots to fire, but I'll venture to say that it normally takes several five shot groups averaged to get a decent picture. There are more sophisticated statistical procedures, but those are hard to explain here.

Paul

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Wolf MT and on a budget CCI standard velocity. Had accurate results with both.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fyshbum
Depends on your rifle. Every .22 rifle is a rule on to it's own.
I had a Winchester 52 that did not like Tenex or Eley club but LOVED CCI pistol match. I had a Winchester M75 that did not like the Fed Gold medal but LOVED Greentag. You just need to get an assortment of good ammo and take it to as wind free a range as you can find and shoot it.

My CZ 452 really likes Federal Classic and Remington Subsonics and shoots them almost as well as it shoots the high dollar match stuff.

You just don't know until you try them.

Edzachary! I had a Sako P72 that would shoot tiny one ragged hole groups with 1 lot of Winchester Wildcat I had. I would have never thought it would.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
well i have never even watched a 22 match so im totally blind. just looking to get a start. the ammo difinatly makes a diff just dont know when to say that is good enough to start messing with the tuner. or to say not mess with it. the real answer is problly to learn to shoot it first. thank for all the input it is all helpful

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
What is competitive depends on the competition....as already stated. Do your research there too. Test at competition distances....50 yards minimum.
Shoot at least five shot groups.
In a Smallbore Prone match you would be shooting ten shots at each target. Targets are at 50 yards, 50 meters, 100 yards.
Last time that I shot the PA championships, the fellow next to me shot a 1/2" ten shot group on one of his 100 yard targets. Iron sights from prone.

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have found the wolf match to be some of the most accurate ammo out there. It normally has the best price too. It shot lights out in every accurate rimfire I've had. My new cz 455 will shot less than .5" at 50 with the stuff!

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
from what i have been seeing my gun fits the ir50/50 format. it weighs 9.8 and has 36x scope so no prone iron sight stuff, couldnt see irons anymore any way. i tryed the eps ammo and shot 2 groups well under a dime at 50 in not so good congitions. havnt found the wolf match anywhere. would like to try it. i think i will leave the tuner alone till i can shoot better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a whole case of Wolf Match, haven't shot any of it yet, but you guys kinda have me scared talking about how dirty it is.

`Bring Enough Gun`
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
dirty probbly doesnt matter as i have heard good things about the wolf, i had a real acc load for the 22 hornet that was dirty. 4227 , kind of buged me tho for no reason and quit using it. SE Neb huh.... i grew up in stella.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Pretty much anything sold at Champion Shooters Supply, and made overseas, is going to shoot well. Lapua, Wolf, SK, RWS, Eley...it's all great stuff.
I think it's hard to even specify a brand. Everyone's rifles are different, and lot to lot variance probably invalidates much of our experience beyond our own rifles. Stick to good makes like the above, and even the cheap(er) ammo will shoot (and tune) pretty well.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by orion03
I've got a whole case of Wolf Match, haven't shot any of it yet, but you guys kinda have me scared talking about how dirty it is.

Not to worry. Wolf is good ammo, and shoots well in most rifles. May not be the best in every case, but it is very good, and even at today's prices is a decent value. I don't hestitate to shoot it in my Lilja barreled .22, although it prefers Eley.

If you don't want it, I'm sure there are folks in your area who would be glad to take it off your hands, my son for one. wink

Paul

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
i see that federal match ammo is developed by rws. is it just repakaged rws?? have any of you tried it. thanks for the link to champion shooters supply. ill check it out.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's been awhile, but I tried some of that Federal. I wasn't that impressed. The boxes were marked "Made in Germany" so it could well be RWS.

Like so many things in the gun world, there was a time when Federal match ammo was very good, and made in the USA.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (300_savage, 44automag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 1,479 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.