Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Richard.
You mentioned you liked the 1/4 horse with racing in the back ground.Would this be 1/4 horse with some TB in the back or straight 1/4 horses. As I undestand the appendix bred horses have more of the TB back ground,but it takes quite a few miles on them to settle them down.

I'm not really familair with them ,just asking out of idle curiosty to learn more.

I'd appreciate a tutorial on it, maybe in a new thread explaining the differences.

Thanks

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saddlesore, I'm no breeder, I just like race horse breeding mostly because it adds athletic ability, that and it is what the proven QH breeders did. I just try to learn from their success. I'm not cutting any new ground, I haven't the brains or the money; and certinly not the money to be brainless. Beyond a little bragging I have no real need for that kind of speed.
Once a horse in the regular QH registry, they're QHs along with their get if bred to another QH; but yes they usually have plenty of TB breeding in them. My experience with horses off the track is about all they know how to do is run, maybe turn left a little. I didn't get to ride but one, but my friend rode a bunch of Miss N Cash colts. Miss n Cash was by Dash for Cash. He said they were all pretty much good minded. I've only bred a few horses compared to real or big time breeders. I've also never had the funds to breed to the really big time race horses, they were well out of my league. But I look for it in a horse. I like them better already if they have some. I feel it gives them a little more substanse too. Like said elsewhere, I'm one of those guys that likes a horse about 15 -15.1 hands, east on - easy off. Another thing about QH breeders are a funny group. A lot of them breed for conformation. I've always held the opinion that if you breed for athlitic ability the conformation will come, and I like an athletic horse. Thats pretty much my involvement with race horse.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Cocadori
This isn't directed at anyone but a compilation of comments out of the threads regarding sedonamare's horse stuff. Keep in mind she's looking for a trail horse.

I still don't see why anyone here is talking performance or cow horses. Funny how it typically morphs into I have "X", breeding or I look for "y" breeding. For a trail horse? Guys are so eager to talk how well breed their horse is for "work" yet how many make a living off the back of their pony? How many take that pony an go win money off of it?

I also hear talk of shorter the better .. don't like tall stuff...I gotta wonder.
OK so look at the papered stuff everyone mentioning.. usually 15HH give or take a bit north or south. Ok great but last I checked they are bred thick and wide. Yet no one mentions how uncomfortable it is to ride a wide horse for any length of time. Getting up and down takes only a few moments. Sitting one lasts much longer. Also these ego breeders for the cow stuff have bred for looks and performance and with looks came small feet. Hardly ever see the papered ones for cow stuff have wide, thick, heavy feet. Yet, on the trail that's whats needed.

And why again are we braggin' on papered bred for cow stuff...?

Some jackass on here even bragged he has a pony that Secratariat is the grand daddy of.. really...? for trail stuff?

Sorry boys and girls you can take all the papered cowy stuff and use it for fire starter. I want a horse bred for the hills. One that can go all day. And by go I mean up and down and around the hills. Carry a load of mountain gear. Not for a few minutes here and there during the day. I want one that has smart feet and not for cuttin' bovine. But smart feet that get placed where and when they need to. When they are traversing, climbing and descending terrain or negotiating H2O in volume.

As afar as boy vs girl. I choose and pick according to the make up and mind set. No matter if it has and inny or an outty.

Ok.. I feel better now.

It didn't morph into cow horses as one of the horses she wanted an opinion about just happened to be cow bred. Good cow bred stock like to see new country too... grin

Glad your feeling better!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by okie
Good cow bred stock like to see new country too... grin

At least sometimes.

A friend of ours had a pretty high dollar roping horse (the horse is now deceased), at least fairly high-dollar for these here parts, that was well bred, and well trained as a roper.

A local horsewoman started organizing an annual trail ride as a benefit for an organization here. This gal friend of ours registered herself and her horse for the ride. Always heard this and that, what a wunnaful horse he was and how he could do anything. She made a little jingle on him, loaned him to folks that either had no horse or were just visiting, to ride in our local rodeo series. Made a few coins that way too.

Well. These rides are judged at crossings, hazards, and obstacles. This one ride started out and within 1/4 mile of the start, there was easily 100 yds of belly-deep water and mud. A lot of folks had fun blasting through that spot spraying water all over. There were many other spots just like that throughout the ride. At the lunch break, where food was provided and awards given for the ride, a few of us wondered where Nancy* was.

Come to find out that Nancy and the wonder horse never even attempted the very first muddy bog - she was ascared and the horse was too. They turned around, loaded and beat feet back to town!

By the by, this is what was at stake. wink I demanded a recount, but to no avail.

On a 28 yo mare to boot!
[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender

At least sometimes.

A friend of ours had a pretty high dollar roping horse (the horse is now deceased), at least fairly high-dollar for these here parts, that was well bred, and well trained as a roper.

A local horsewoman started organizing an annual trail ride as a benefit for an organization here. This gal friend of ours registered herself and her horse for the ride. Always heard this and that, what a wunnaful horse he was and how he could do anything. She made a little jingle on him, loaned him to folks that either had no horse or were just visiting, to ride in our local rodeo series. Made a few coins that way too.

Well. These rides are judged at crossings, hazards, and obstacles. This one ride started out and within 1/4 mile of the start, there was easily 100 yds of belly-deep water and mud. A lot of folks had fun blasting through that spot spraying water all over. There were many other spots just like that throughout the ride. At the lunch break, where food was provided and awards given for the ride, a few of us wondered where Nancy* was.

Come to find out that Nancy and the wonder horse never even attempted the very first muddy bog - she was ascared and the horse was too. They turned around, loaded and beat feet back to town!

By the by, this is what was at stake. wink I demanded a recount, but to no avail.

On a 28 yo mare to boot!
[Linked Image]

Congratulations on the win.
Which one was the senior? wink

The original international turd
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That was due to my "Jack Benny" status! wink and thanks.

My point was that I think training is more important than pedigree. Horses that only see the inside of the arena fence are oftenill prepared for any other job.

Good old Ruby The Wonder Horse was a registered QH, but she was exposed to a lot of things and did most everything well.

Ruby packed, led pack strings, trail rode, taught my daughter to ride, ran barrels and poles, did games, and so on. Every time I ride a horse, I miss her.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hope you find a replacement for Ruby...

Last edited by Dan_H; 05/02/12.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Me too, Dan. 'specially since Mac was to be my mount before the boy kid "stole" him! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

At least sometimes.

On a 28 yo mare to boot!
[Linked Image]

That is very true and I've seen much the same thing happen myself. They got to get out in the countryside with 'em to make a trail horse. I've got two in here now that will get water lessons pretty quick!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just exposure. My horses are going to go where I tell them to go. The rider has a lot to do with it too. If that rider didn't even try to ride across the water they had their mind made up without even trying; a hhorse is going to know that. I've had horses that didn't like new experiences, but we always got it done. He just had to di it anyway, like it or not.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I've been told by some folks down in America about how their kid or wife has a dressage horse, a 3-day horse, a jumper, etc.

I say hell, I got one all wrapped up in one! They have to, especially here because of the cost to keep.

At $8 - $8.50 per bale, in-the-field, the critter better be versatile. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

At $8 - $8.50 per bale, in-the-field, the critter better be versatile. wink

Ouch! Remind me not to bring any horses if I ever move to Alaska eek . A local farmer I know hooked me up with some nice orchard grass/alfalfa blend for $150 a ton, it came to $2.60 a bale. Actually we are going to cut here in another month so he is making room in his barn.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
$150 divided by $2.60 is 57 bales. 2000 divided by 57 is 35 pounds per bale. tiny bastids.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wow.. we bale the small ones at 100#'s large at 1700#'s

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In the Los Angeles area last summer some people were paying $18 for 80-pound small squares. That's $450 a ton.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
BIL grows grass horse hay on his 10 acre pasture. Good clean stuff and people call him and say, "Hold me a ton on your next crop." Pay and I will. "Sorry, but I don't have the money right now." Winter and they are whining and buying what few bales he has left at bale price. WTF? Horses cost $$ between vets and farriers most a lot of folks don't have a clue. If you think it costs to take Buffy (dog/cat) to a vet wait until you have have one make a house call for large animal. Sorry for the rant, but people just do not think!

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntsman22
$150 divided by $2.60 is 57 bales. 2000 divided by 57 is 35 pounds per bale. tiny bastids.....

You have to bale light so the women and small girls can handle them. Half the girls in some of these barns don't weigh 100 pounds. I have wheel and skid loaders with forks so I round bale my place.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mtrancher
In the Los Angeles area last summer some people were paying $18 for 80-pound small squares. That's $450 a ton.

I would bet that hay was coming in from New Mexico. Farms in Ocala Florida form a co op and have hay from South Dakota and New Mexico shipped in by rail.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not sure. I'll have to double-check with my sister. She lives in Topanga Canyon and has horses. I believe that's the price she told me. The drought in the southwest is part of this, of course. When I went out of the breeding business a few years ago my mares went to Sealy, Texas. I stay in touch with those folks. Last year they purchased alfalfa hay from Minnesota. Because of the oil boom north of me trucks are hauling pipestem this way and returning south with big rounds.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Small bales 55-60 lbs were going for $15 this winter here in Colo Springs. Highest I saw 3x3x8's was $169.
Usually I can get a semi of 3x3x8's ( 800 lbs) for about $85/ bale with 55 or so on the truck delivered to me.That is about the eqivalent of about 12 small bales. or about $7/ small bale.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,736
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.