Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
NMiller Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So today was not a good one. Trying to settle on a 243 hunting load for the kids, tried a load that locked up the bolt on a 700 adl. I hammered the bolt open, in trying to remove the case from bolt face the flimsy lip by the ejector button cracked a bit. Thinking to show it to a smith to see if it can be fixed, or maybe replace the bolt. Not looking to spend much on this one, just get it running again as a first hunting rifle. The load was under max according to a couple references, but obviously not for this gun. A lesson to start well under max data.

I know if I replace the bolt it will have to be fit to the gun for proper headspacing and such. May have to get the action checked for stress fissures? Just thought I would mention it here, see if anyone has some advice to offer.

Anyone have a sa bolt, blued, to sell?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two bolts. they have the extractor but no firing pin or ejector pin. I can fit and headspace it for you but would need the action and barrel. Bolts are $90 shipped.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Would it be better to have a Sako type extractor installed?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It wasn't an extractor issue, it was a forcing brass into places it shouldn't be issue. A sako style may have done the same or better....but the case rim likely would have just ripped off.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
NMiller Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What do you guys think about the action, would it need to be checked for stress fractures? The load was 37.5 gr Varget with a Barnes 85 tsx, not sure why it responded the way it did. The extractor seems fine.

Jkob, may buy your bolt, trying to see what is available locally.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen a few that had to be opend with a hammer, and all went on to shoot again....but I don't think anyone is going to offer grace without having a peek.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by high_country_
It wasn't an extractor issue, it was a forcing brass into places it shouldn't be issue. A sako style may have done the same or better....but the case rim likely would have just ripped off.

I was commenting on after the fact.

When a Sako type extractor is installed, wouldn't that fix the problem with the damaged piece of metal holding the old extractor in place? Isn't the damaged piece removed and the bolt face filled in with basically a metal ring, silver soldered in place, then milled out for the new extractor to be installed?

I was thinking that this install might be cheaper than buying another bolt, and the smith work involved if it doesn't headspace. Hard to tell without all the info needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would depend on exactly where it broke. The sako has to go in a pretty narrow window or it will hammer your scope or not eject at all.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

249 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 45 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,604
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.