Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
(BOLD is mine)

12.1.2 Handguns
Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 12.1.3 and 12.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 12.1.4 and 12.1.6, and are subject to the following:

a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b, and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1h.
b. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest may be accepted for mailing without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6.
c. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a that are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable; but must include adult signature service under 503.8.0. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
e. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district.
12.1.3 Authorized Persons
Subject to 12.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, a licensed importer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person's official duties:

a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.
f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.
g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 12.1.3c. through 12.1.3e. 12.1.4 Affidavit of Addressee
Any person proposing to mail a handgun under 12.1.3 must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee setting forth that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm under a particular category of 12.1.3a through 12.1.3g, and that the firearm is intended for the addressee�s official use. The affidavit must also bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official duty use of the addressee, signed by one of the following, as appropriate:

a. For officers of Armed Forces, by the commanding officer.
b. For officers and employees of enforcement agencies, by the head of the agency employing the addressee to perform the official duty with which the firearm is to be used.
c. For watchmen, by the chief clerk of the department, bureau, or independent branch of the government of the United States, the state, the territory, or the district by which the watchman is employed.
d. For the purchasing agent or other designated member of enforcement agencies, by the head of such agency, that the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee included in 12.1.3c through 12.1.3e, Authorized Persons.
12.1.5 Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

And further:

12.1.6 Certificate of Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
A federal firearms licensee manufacturer, dealer or importer need not file the affidavit under 12.1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer, dealer or importer of firearms. The mailer must also state that the parcels containing handguns, or parts and components of handguns under 12.1.2d, are being mailed in customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of their knowledge the addressees are licensed manufacturers, dealers or importers of firearms.

Last edited by Redneck; 05/03/12.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

M
msc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have used UPS as well as Fedex to ship long guns. I spend the money to ship next day air. I have used both the hard case that I travel with as well as the cardboard boxes sold by Midway. The cardboard works well for one round trip and then is pretty trashed. I have done this about a half dozen times with no damage. It is expensive and I do insure for replacement cost. I generally ship from the office with all the other items going out. I don't discuss what is in the package.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't emphasize enough to over-pack it, and smartly. Just "being in" a case means little. Bubble wrap, voids filled so no place to shift/get momentum, double boxed preferably with peanuts or something between. Pretend like you're going to war. And insurance. Have only used USPS to date. Keep appliance boxes on hand to fab from.

p.s. local yokal postal denies I can not ship a firearms box registered mail (chain of custody IIUC), "It has to fit in the bag." Something tells me there's a work around that requires effort on his part, since other folks report doing it.

Last edited by sandcritter; 05/03/12.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had problems with UPS, USPS and FedEx at one time or another. UPS lost a rifle shipped in a hard case. USPS destroyed one double-boxed package containing a shotgun as well as several of their priority mail boxes. FedEx sent a pistol to somewhere in New England instead of to the California address on the shipping label.

We ship all of my wife's artwork, insured, via UPS in wooden crates which we construct to hold the paintings firmly. We use a nail gun to build the frame and attach one side. The other side is screwed so that the recipient just needs a screw gun (or a screw driver) to open it. We have never had problems with any of those shipments. If I were shipping a really valuable firearm, I would do it that way.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Definately go the mile to carefully pack the gun, and avoid UPS. I've known of at least two rifles that were packed in inexspensive plastic hard cases that arived with the muzzle of the barrel poking out of the hard case after it broke through. I ended up recrowning the muzzle on one of those rifles for a buddy.

I'd go USPS registered and insured.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
I just sold a relatively expensive rifle on the internet. This will be my 1st long distance sale. What is the best & safest carrier to ship? Who will actually pay on my insurance if things go bad?

PM Bricktop. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NOTE RE Fed EX insurance.... I had a nice pair of Savage model 23D rifles get banged up badly en route to a member here who had purchased them. Fed Ex would not even look at or sniff the claim because it had not be packaged by one of thier own people. Since that time I generally take rifles or shotguns to my local shipping store who is a Fed Ex direct franchisee and let her do the packing. It generally costs me very little more than what I would pay for the packing supplies, she is really good at it, and I don't have to take the time to box and wrap etc. More to the point, if it arrives screwed up (Has not happened yet) I have a more valid claim as it was a Fed Ex person who did the packing, according to them.

RE USPS, any one can get it wrong and foul up the works. Recently I sent off a USPS money order to a fellow and took the time and spent the money for OVERNIGHT GUARANTEED and signature required/certified etc etc.... That darned 'overnight' package took TWENTY FIVE DAYS to arrive! I did get a refund of my $19.00 or so for overnight guaranteed delivery but the guy at the other end of the deal who was selling because he needed quick cash was understandably non plussed and it made me look bad in his eyes until the envelope really did arrive and had a postmark on it of the day that I TOLD him I had sent it. Also learned that the USPS wil not refund a PMO until it has gone uncahsed for 90 days, minimum. So long as the seller at the other end is OK with such,I try to use local bank issued cashiers checks now. Live and learn. With a bank cashiers check I could have done a stop pay and re issue for this poor guy early on in the process.

Carboard boxes with bubble wrap and all have been working fine for me for quite a few years now.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Lots of bubble wrap and foam peanuts. The item must be "suspended" inside the walls of the box without being able to move from that position.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm off to the post office today to mail a 45 I just sold to a dealer, and once again I'll have to tell the idiots at the USPS what their regs are. If you go USPS make sure you take the regs with you. I don't remember when I got them on the USPS site, but they are a PAIN to find.

If you find them again, down load it to your computer, make copies and bookmark the site.

I worked the window at the Post Office for 19 years and can tell you some employees find it easier to tell you you can't mail it than to look it up.

If you go by USPS, I'd send it Priority Mail and registered. Make sure you have something stateing the price, and get a return receipt of delievery.

Just my $0.02.

Bob

If you can read and write, thank a teacher
If it's in English, thank a Vet

Life Member NRA
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
USPS snapped a Lazermark Mark V shipped inside a PLANO case with bubble wrap to make up for the space around the barrel (foam lined otherwise). Destroyed the wood stock -- shipped a couple others the exactly same way "safely". Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Exactly - never again ship a rifle in Plano case. What were you thinking?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fedex isn't much better my FFL refuses to ship that way and no wonder with the horror stories I've heard from him! Guess its a toss up so go either way you've had good luck,insure the hell outta stuff and take your chances more or less.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.