Print Thread
Hop To
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am reading an eye opening book. Not what we were taught in school. It is In God We Don't Trust by David Bercot.

He presents a lot different prospective on out early history.

Find it here. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...fix=in+god+we+don%27t+trust%2Caps%2C1263

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Com-on Scott lay it on me, give me a hint.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
I am reading an eye opening book. Not what we were taught in school. It is In God We Don't Trust by David Bercot.

He presents a lot different prospective on out early history.

Find it here. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...fix=in+god+we+don%27t+trust%2Caps%2C1263

The product of nine years of research, In God We Don t Trust challenges much of what most of us learned in school about the founding of America and the American Revolution. Bercot s well-documented findings will surprise many people. Here are just a few of the surprising facts the book reveals:

Tobacco saved Jamestown and became the economic basis for many of the Southern states.

Rum distilleries were one of the main industries of Puritan New England.

Puritan New England dominated the slave trafficking industry.

Contrary to what most history books present, the American colonists were the least heavily taxed people in the world.

Sounds like it's largely about the relative and familar humanity (all flesh is weak, corrupt, and sinful) of the colonists/founders and little about God.

Could also be one man's revisionist slant to sell books.

What is your perspective so far, Scott?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD

Lots of that goin' around.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those black and white pilgrim suits with the goofy hats were invented by an artist about 150 YEARS after the Pilgrims landed. They never saw or wore any such thing. They wore what everyone else wore.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I already knew, from my 1950s & 60s education, the items listed in Ricky D's. post above. It was NE ships bringing the slaves, etc.. The colonists were not rebelling against taxes (I never heard that the level of taxation was the issue). They were rebelling against taxes levied without their consent...taxation w/out representation. Each colony had it's own legislative body & parlaiment had NO legal jurisdiction over them, we just shared the same king with the British. When King George sided with parlaiment he was breaking his contract with each of the 13 colonies of how they would operate. This is why the Declaration of Independence focuses on his userpations/crimes. The best book by far that I have read that deals with this is "The Theme Is Freedom" by M. Stanton Evans. It came out in 1994 and was published by Regnery. The "Glorious Revolution" of the 1680s (overthrowing James II) is exactly the pattern followed by our American revolutionary leaders in overthrowing George III.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RickyD

Sounds like it's largely about the relative and familar humanity (all flesh is weak, corrupt, and sinful) of the colonists/founders and little about God.

What is your perspective so far, Scott?

His premise is we were not founded on Christ's teachings and we did not trust in God. The 13 colonies did not have Biblical right to go against England. He thinks that if they had followed Christ's teachings God would have done his will without war.

I am enjoying his hard line on the teachings of Christ. I am having a hard time putting it down. I think he may well be right on.

Just starting the background to the Revolutionary War. It is pretty darned good and I cannot find a thing wrong with his work.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The American colonists were not SUBJECTS of the King or parlaiment. They were CITIZENS who had GRANTED the British crown a role in thier government. These roles were spelled out in writing in the case of each colony. Parlaiment had no more right to levy taxes on the colonies than the Oklahoma legislature could levy taxes on New Yorkers. The colonies and Great Britain ONLY shared a common king. Even during the French & Indian War the colonial troops referred to themselves as King's Troops and they referred to the Red Coat troops as Parlaiment's Troops. They were ALLIES against a common enemy. When Geo. III sided w/ parlaiment in asserting a right to tax the colonies he was operating in conflict w/ the written charters. The colonists did not see themselves as overthrowing anything. Rather, the were defending their ancient rights as freeborn Englishmen. They owed submission to Geo. III no more than we owe submission to a burglar.

To say that they did not have a Biblical outlook is to defy the facts. On July 4, 1773 (3 yrs. before the declaration) the man who would lead the defense on Breed's hill sent a letter into the embargoed Boston w/ provisions. The letter of encouragement concludes w/ the words "We will defend the liberty wherewith CHRIST has made us free". One of the battle cries of the Continental army was "No King but Jesus".

I could go on...I'll stop now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1minute, 117LBS, 280shooter, 40 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,321
Posts18,505,838
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.