Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Swifty52: I am also a long time Swift enthusiast (40 years or so now).
One of my seven current 220 Swifts is a Remington 40XB-KS single shot, and it uses that fine and durable Norma brass to attain its excellent accuracy.
I am using Winchester brass in the rest of my Swifts though - to date I have not had any specific issues/objections to the Winchester brass.
Can you enlighten us on your 220 Swift Winchester brass troubles?
By the way I also own a Ruger #1-V stainless Rifle in caliber 22-250 Remington similar to yours - I just purchased this Rifle from a friend of mine and I am just starting load development on it.
What does your #1-V in 22-250 prefer for bullets/powder?
Dandy stable of Varminters you have there.
Long live the 220 Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know where there is a Winchester M70HBV in 220 Swift for
sale if anyone is interested drop me a PM.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My old Swift is a tang safety Ruger 77V that came to me with a bulged barrel. I sent it back to Ruger for a new barrel and it has been my go to varmint gun for 20 years. When the 40 grain Ballistic Tip first became available it was my favorite ground squirrel bullet.

I still have my Swift but it doesn't get much time afield now. Alaska offers some varmint shooting but nowhere near the opportunity that Eastern Washington did. The Swift is a might hard on fox hides with any bullet.

My favorite fur bullet for coyotes was the old Speer 52 grain hollow point. It's a ballistic dog next to many of the available bullets but I had few exit wounds with it. My Swift never found a 40-55 grain bullet it didn't like. Some shoot a little better than others but it seems to be happy with most any bullet. Not surprisingly it has never done well with bullets heavier than 55 grains.

I have had nearly every 22 centerfire at one time or another. I never did have a 225 Winchester or 224 Weatherby but have had a few 22-250's and enjoyed them. The Swift though has always been my favorite of the 22 centerfires.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have generally had a Swift or two around for about 30 years now. The first was a tang-safety Ruger bought from the used rack of a local store. I cleaned the barrel thoroughly (it needed it) and it started shooting 3/4" 5-shot groups with the right load. This depressed one of the employees of the store, who'd put it up for sale because he thought the barrel was shot out. It got used on a lot of rockchucks, some foxes and coyotes, and a few antelope, all with the 60-grain Nosler Solid Base at about 3650 fps.

Had a heavy-barrel Remington 700 and a Ruger No. 1B for a while. Both were half-inch rifles, though the Ruger needed a Hicks Accurizer to do it. Both killed a lot of PD's.

My present Swift is another tang-safety 77 sporter I got off the Campfire Classifieds. It came properly bedded and free-floated, with the trigger nicely tuned. It shoots about any 55-grain bullet into .6 or so at around 3750 with 42.5 grains of Ramshot Hunter, but I tested some of the new 55 Varmageddons and the first shot out of the gate was .43. They blow up PD's EXTREMELY well!

Am thinking about a fast-twist Swift right now, but that's as far as I've gotten.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Maybe we should rethink fast twist just as I refer to normal capacity magazines and single stack insead of hi-cap and convenional? The historical norm Swift 1/14 with a traditional cup and core bullet on the light side will make people smile with a much longer than most extended point blanc(k) range with no real worry about actual measurement to the yard but just as with the .223/5.56 and assorted larger bore I suspect something faster than when introduced will be the new norm.

I like my own 26" heavy barrel 1/14 but I'm pretty sure I'd like a .204 Ruger for what I do now with the Swift and a faster twist in the Swift to do more than the .204

IC B2

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple... a Remington Classic, and a Ruger V/T... the one with the blued action and SS barrel, in a laminate stock.

[Linked Image]]

Last edited by KDK; 05/03/12. Reason: wrong pic (doh!)

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
sll Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Swift once in a Remington Classic like you mentioned and I need my head caved in for ever getting rid of it too.......it was the best sporter weight barreled rifle I ever owned.

I have owned several Swifts since then and still have a 700 VSSF in one. It is a great caliber and not a very finicky one to load for in my opinion. All the ones I have owned shot several different powder/bullet combos very well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WhopperStopper,

Shot my .220 Swift just this morning. Mine is a tang-safety Ruger, that I bought used in the mid '80's. I have no idea how many rounds it had thru it when I bought it, but the bore looked in good shape.
I ran another 1,000 rounds or so thru it, and the accuracy began to decline- three shot groups an inch or more at 100 yards, not acceptable 'prairie dog' accuracy. I made an attempt to remove copper fouling, and the accuracy improved, although not what it was years ago.
This past week, I decided to make one last attempt at restoring accuracy before pronouncing the barrel 'shot out'.
I spent three days and 7 or 8 applications of Wipe Out, removing a half a penny or so of accumulated copper fouling.
To make a long story shorter- after free-floating the barrel, and loading up some 50 gr. V-Max bullets, I was surprised to see accuracy restored to its old familiar .5"/100 yd form!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Swifty52: I am also a long time Swift enthusiast (40 years or so now).
One of my seven current 220 Swifts is a Remington 40XB-KS single shot, and it uses that fine and durable Norma brass to attain its excellent accuracy.
I am using Winchester brass in the rest of my Swifts though - to date I have not had any specific issues/objections to the Winchester brass.
Can you enlighten us on your 220 Swift Winchester brass troubles?
By the way I also own a Ruger #1-V stainless Rifle in caliber 22-250 Remington similar to yours - I just purchased this Rifle from a friend of mine and I am just starting load development on it.
What does your #1-V in 22-250 prefer for bullets/powder?
Dandy stable of Varminters you have there.
Long live the 220 Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Best combo was H-380 and a 52 SMK or 55 BK, but as usual 380 was a little unstable on 90+ degree days and a dog town. But Varget and those bullets was much more stable, and performance was good year round.

Swifty

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Great for prairie dogs...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's one of my fav rifles from the campfire no doubt about it. Now about those sweat pants your're wearing...... cry

Hope alls well your way Shrap!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Praire dogs, hot loaded high B.C. 55gr. bullets, is there anything else?

`Bring Enough Gun`
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by orion03
high B.C. 55gr. bullets

This is known as an "oxymoron" wink

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Love the Swift! At this time I have 2; a 80s Savage 112 single shot and a pre-64 Md 70 Varmint.

Both are good shooters with 4064.

Dennis.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The Swift is a long-time favorite of mine.

I own three as I recall... the Remington VSSF, a Ruger No 1V and a Ruger Mk II. They all shoot sub MOA with the same load... a Sierra 55gr SBT over 37.5 grains of IMR 4064

My g8-g8 uncle was Barney Riggs. Google and read about him. He roamed around the southwest, mainly west Tx and Az and NM territory. History credits him with from 9 - 12 men he killed, not counting Mexicans and Indians. Family lore has it at 18.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had my Ruger #1 V at the 200 yd line the other day and consistently got tighter groups with the 50 gr V Max Hornady and Varget than I did with the 55 grain V Max with Varget. The 50 grain bullet was 200 fps faster so I am going with that this season. Varmints beware! (Has anyone ever traded their .220 Swift for a 22-250? I doubt it.)
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.