Print Thread
Hop To
S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
This has probably been brought up a time or two but.........

I took my stock 10/22 trigger group apart and cleaned it up the other day. It sure worked wonders for the magazine release, the old style. Didn't do anything for the trigger pull of course but it got me to thinking about the trigger assembly products that I see advertised. The Clarks and others. I also see ads for cleaning and polishing the stock assembly and getting the trigger pull down to 2.5 lbs. or less. Have any of you made a conversion or had trigger work done? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brimstone gunsmithing has done a couple for me. Different levels of trigger group service available and fast turnaround. Popular vender on rimfirecentral.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are a number of ways to get a better trigger on a 10/22:
Substitute parts
Gunsmith
Replacement trigger group, housing and all.
I tried the substitute parts/home gunsmithing route and was unsatisfied. I finally went and got a Kidd trigger. IMO it is the best. Nothing else is even close. Of course, it is pretty spendy as well.

S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
FAIR CHASE thanks for the Brimstone lead. I visited their website. Might be the way to go.

TomC321. I have seen the Kidd triggers advertised and your right, they are pricey. I am looking for lighter trigger pull I guess. The rifle is accurate enough for pests but sometimes it takes forever for the thing to go off with the heavy pull. What made you unsatisfied with the gunsmithing route?

Thanks, Stan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A $40 Volquartzen target hammer will get you 80-90% of the way towards a great trigger and for 99% of us that good enough. If you are keeping the rest of your gun basically stock than there is ZERO reason to go any farther. If you really look into the home gunsmith ideas you'll see there's a lot more that goes into improving a 10/22 trigger that just some quick polishing and there's really very little reason to go that route with all the aftermarket support and gunsmiths doing 10/22 triggers at reasonable prices. While I've never tried them, Hornet will trade you a reworked plastic 10/22 trigger housing for your plus $100 IIRC and they are highly recommended over at RimfireCentral (all my trigger groups are the older metal ones).

CB

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Volquartsen unit, as just described, installed back in 1991.

I have never looked back, it is sweeeet!!

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
+3 on the Volquartsen target hammer. I also "played" a bit with the trigger spring and got a clean 1 3/4# trigger.

Oh yeah, I also tapped a set screw into the rear of the trigger guard for a trigger overtravel stop. This helps, also.

Actually this ol' 10-22 also has a 16" (truck gun) Volquartsen fiber tensioned barrel and a Hogue over-molded stock.

I killed about 70 Richardson's Ground Squirrels with it on Wed.
I've shot it 10s of 1000s of times.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 05/04/12.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
First of all is your 10/22 a newer version with the Plastic Trigger Housing and Plastic Trigger ? or is an older 10/22 with an Aluminum Trigger Housing and Trigger ?

At any rate I have done several triggers on Ruger 10/22's. The older ones could actually be made good enough for hunting work quite easily (but it depends on what the user wants / expects).

I have used the above mentioned Volquartsen Target Hammer on one and was very dis-satisfied with the results. While the trigger pull was considerablly lighter it also was not nearly as crispt as I would have liked and actually felt mushy.

More recently I have been using the Power Custom Target Hammer with much, much better results.

On my Son in Laws 10/22T we replaced the Plastic Trigger Housing for a Volquartsen TG2000 complete trigger group. At first it was super crisp but the trigger pull was heavier than the factory trigger. A quick e mail to Scott Volquartsen resulted in sending the trigger group back to Volquartsen. Volquartsen replaced some internal parts and returned the trigger group. Now the trigger pull is 2 1/4 pounds but not as crisp as it was originally.

For the new 10/22's with the Plastic Trigger Housing I have been using the KIDD Drop in Trigger Kit consisting of a new Hammer & Bushings, new Trigger, new Disconnector, new Sear and new Cross Pivot Pins. Every one of these I have installed has been super crisp at 2 pounds. There are adjustment screws on the KIDD Drop in Trigger Kit but I have not had to adjust any of the ones I have installed so far. At $105.00 this is about as good as it gets dollar for dollar in my opinion.

I also have a couple Aluminum Trigger Groups from older 10/22's that I have sent to TT Shooter for his Premium Trigger Jobs. At $100.00 these come back with a 2 to 2 1/2 pound trigger that is very crisp. Todd also uses a Torsion Trigger Return Spring and in taps threads for an overtravel stop in the trigger housing that housed the original trigger return spring. Todd also uses new Hammer Bushings of his own design.

There are lots of options for 10/22 Triggers and in the end it all depends on what the owners uses and expectations are.

Larry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
More recently I have been using the Power Custom Target Hammer with much, much better results.

I've used the PC hammer and found very little if any improvement over factory. Upon further study I found that is very common and to get improvement using PC components you must use both the hammer AND the adjustable sear. The hammer alone is a waste. YMMV

CB

S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Larry_in_SD
First of all is your 10/22 a newer version with the Plastic Trigger Housing and Plastic Trigger ? or is an older 10/22 with an Aluminum Trigger Housing and Trigger ?
Larry

Mine is an old one, aluminum housing and trigger.

I think all I want is a lighter trigger pull to start with. The trigger pull at present is pretty stout and doesn't break the way I would like it to. If I can get 2 1/2 to 3# and a nice crisp release I will be happy.

IC B3

S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the replies. I think the thing for me to do is first have a trigger job. If that doesn't satisfy this bug then I will buy a quality trigger assembly from one of the vendors you have mentioned.

I appreciate everyones insight and experiences with the different options.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've bought 2 of the Hornet Products trigger groups and they are great.

They use a mix of factory and aftermarket parts to give a very nice trigger.

I get the BBT- Special Edition 2.5.

They will also give you $30.00 for your old trigger group.

Hornet Products

Last edited by TERRY8mm; 05/10/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On my 10/22, which is ~30 years old, I found that polishing the factory hammer, sear and pins as well as installing an overtravel screw in the trigger guard has resulted in a pretty decent trigger.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Kidd triggers is where it is at. IMO.

"Not everything you read on the internet is true." Abraham Lincoln.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just put a Kidd Trigger kit in a 10/22 TD, the kit feels fantastic and a huge improvement over factory.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.