Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
I've been thinking about this question also, but specifically with a Ruger New Model 44 Special.

I like cast bullets for most purposes but have decided on the 200 grain XTP @ 1130 fps. It should open up (maybe stay in the Lion with a frontal shot) and it shoots in an inch @ 25 yards from my 4 5/8" BlackHawk.

Now I'm looking at closed-bottom-flap-covered holsters. grin

[Linked Image]

Hey that looks familiar!

[Linked Image]

Mine is a .45 Colt/ACP though. I just use it as an ACP gun. Heck for Mountain Lions, I would just load some factory 230 grain Gold Dot JHPs in the ACP Cylinder and call it good. I think they would ruin Mr. Big Paw's lunch!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I was thinking along those lines for mine too:

[Linked Image]

Ruger's been making some really neat stuff lately. Wish I could find one in stainless with the 5 1/2" barrel. Or, better yet, if Ruger would make one with the Bisley grip.

The revolver next to it is a K22 made in 1948. Old enough to be the Ruger's grandpa grin

Last edited by Oregon45; 05/04/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
250 gr Keith SW

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I haven't bought Rem SJHP's for some time... Midway used to sell 'em in bulk boxes, and I have quite a supply on hand in 158 gr and 180 gr. I can't find the box with the 180's in it since I moved, though...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Thread title says it all. For hunting Mountain Lion with a 44 Special, Magnum or similarly loaded 45 Colt
(I have suitable revolvers in all three and can load up to "Ruger only" loads in the 45 Colt if necessary), would you load a solid cast bullet or an expanding jacketed hollow point?

Definitely an expanding bullet like the XTP which is one of the best expanding bullets for pistols made.JJ Hack had his hands in on the making of that bullet..FYI....

Jayco

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's how I used to buy 'em too. I'm now down to less than 100 of the 240gr 44's and probably less than 50 of the 125gr 357's.

Midway's bulk pricing used to be pretty attractive, but not so much anymore.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by keith
Lions are not hard to kill and a 22 magnum with a 40g Winchester HP does an excellent job when they are tree'd. Trick is the kill them fast enought so that they will not kill a dog.

I never shot one, but what a thrill to keep up with the dogs on a successfully hunt!

I have seen 3 killed, 2 larger cats. One with a .22LR , one a .22 mag and another with .223 ball-ammo.

They all died just as quickly. They don't take much, but shot placement needs consideration.

Personally, For me it would be hard for me to think of anything being better then my 14" scopped Contender in .223 and a plain ol CnC tack-driver. I would slid in a round pf ball-ammo in a second.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I prefer deep penetrations on cougars. Joke aside expanding bullets with sufficient penetration has worked well for me. This is a B&C lion taken with a 10mm Delta Gold Cup. Load is 10.0 gr of 800-X under 165 gr Remington Golden Saber at 1400fps. [Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by HARDBALLER
I prefer deep penetrations on cougars.

grin Who doesn't?

BTW, nice cat!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cougars are not hard to kill, I've taken them at close range with .22 mag, and seen them taken at close range with .22 mag, .32 H&R mag and 357 Mag. With a 44 caliber, shoot either special or mag, the load should not matter at tree'd cat distances so long as you make a good shot. Make a bad shot, and it don't really matter what you use, just get ready for some tore up dogs. I personally would use a good hard cast with a 44, just so the holes that the taxidermist has to sew up ain't so big.

God Bless America!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith
Lions are not hard to kill and a 22 magnum with a 40g Winchester HP does an excellent job when they are tree'd. Trick is the kill them fast enought so that they will not kill a dog.

+1

Hard cast SWC's or any of the better JHP's in a 41, 44, 357, 45 is more than adequate providing you can hit where you aim.

If you miss a kill shot with most any of the above get ready for a rodeo & prolly some torn up dogs.......my BIL lost a good one last year to a badly shot cat.

MM

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bob Hagel probably hunted and more cougars than anyone will ever do again. In his book "Guns, Loads, & Hunting Tips" he covers most every thing mentioned to do with cougars.

He stated that he tried the 45AR with a keith type bullet, and it had inadequate penetration and shock.(P.376) He said the 357 with hard cast bullets penetrated very well, but "lacked punch."(p.378) He liked the big 44's with the keith type loads best.

He said that the 357 and keith type bullets "because of caliber and bullet weight."(p.378) were the least effective of the big magnums for big game.

I suggest that you check out "Old Bob." I think that he'd say that you folks with little pea shooters didn't like your dogs: or respect your game enough to kill it well.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have been thinking about this for a couple of years myself. As a bowhunter in Az and Elk Hunter is which ever state I am lucky enough get drawn in for the season, I hunt in their backyard. I have always just carried a glock 19 for this case with the attitude that any noise will scare the cat away. Last year in Wyoming I surprised a black bear at 10 yards. He ran away from me and then stopped and charge back towards me. At that point I realized my little 9 will not help much.

With all that said I started to my research and in my opinion want you might want to look at for the purpose of hunting and how the equipment is treated on the mountain is the Glock 20. This is a 10 mm that should take care of all your needs in the lower 48s. And for the price you cant beat it. The mountain takes it toll on your equipment so I would be cautious about using one of my nice guns.

Now from this forum, I have discovered a great site that has the best carrying device for your guns. When you have a backpack on its hard to access your fire arm and their is multiple articles on how the black hawk sherpa has issues. So check them out. I have the runners kit for my pistols with the ravens holster. PERFECT for what we do.
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,229 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.