Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Cahaba
All the USPS workers in my area work in slooow motion. Long lines and wasted time. No private sector business could handle customer service the way they do and remain in business. People get feedup with poor service and find another
form of delivery. Email, Fax and etc. USPS is dead...they have just not stopped breathering yet. Too much Union involvement.

I leave the USPS office with my blood pressure up 20 points. Same with the license bureau & title division. I would love to move voting day to 4/16, then require all congress members to renew their drivers licenses and passports on the morning of the day they have to vote on govt spending measures.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They could drop one or two days of service, or maybe severely restrict their hours on those days, and we'd all adapt just fine within a month of its announcement. It isn't rocket science!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
Is the Postal Service Doomed? As presently constituted - YES.

It is saddled with high costs over which it has little control. The unions have reduced their costs and the pension has been reduced as well. However, mail volume has fallen drastically with the advent of e-mail and other forms of communications.

Here's where the costs are:
- While the congress is calling for lower costs, it is unwilling to permit the USPS to close many rural post offices saying it would be a hardship for rural patrons to drive 25 or more miles just to pick up mail. No private sector business would continue to offer unprofitable service. One solution might be to offer rural service at a higher cost (say $2 per letter) to cover the higher costs. This higher fee would have to be applied to both outgoing and received mail, including bills and advertising "junk" mail.

- The USPS has to pay for postal worker pensions up front and not on an as-you go-basis, thus inflating operating costs-and impacting cash flow.

- Gasoline is a major expense and the USPS has no control over increasing costs. A business can just raise the price of a product, the USPS needs to get Congressional approval to do so.

- The USPS delivers (or drives by) every address in the US 6 days a week, regardless of whether a letter needs to be delivered. It needs to go to 3 or 4 times a week delivery.

- There is a direct correlation between raising stamp prices and loss of customers (and lower revenue), so just raising postage prices is not an answer.

The options are simple - either they cut costs (service), or get congress to add a subsidy.

Any small town posdt office is staffed at 3 times the level a private employer would utilize.The mail is sorted and in a PO box by 9 AM but the employees stay for a full 8 hours.Then... they hire an outside cleaning service and yard maintenence.

They make Sweetheart deals with individuals to build them a building to their specs,and rent it from to guarantee a payout in 10 years,then keep paying the same rent.

The list goes on and on.

Sell the operation to Fred Smith[the Fed EX guy]and collect royalties from him.I can promise you that the average postal worker wouldn't be on Smith's payroll after 3 months and postage would go DOWN.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
- While the congress is calling for lower costs, it is unwilling to permit the USPS to close many rural post offices saying it would be a hardship for rural patrons to drive 25 or more miles just to pick up mail. No private sector business would continue to offer unprofitable service. One solution might be to offer rural service at a higher cost (say $2 per letter) to cover the higher costs. This higher fee would have to be applied to both outgoing and received mail, including bills and advertising "junk" mail."

Funny as hell how UPS and Fed EX deliver to rural zip codes for the same price as their urban counterparts.

You have just GOT to be a government employee....defending the indefensible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does the post office still have a race car and racing team?
That's wise appropriation of funding, no?

How much is spent on other advertising? They hit the fricken superbowl a while back... not quite the cheapest advertisement available....

And for what?
What audience did they reach that wasn't already part of their "customer base"? Did it increase "business"? generate revenue?

Only government could be this f'ing stupid.

Besides that, how much corruption and pocket lining is going on? Are these more cushy jobs with unsustainable cadillac retirement plan?

Is the post office another public funded union?

Whatever it is, it's government... and government's broker'n a Greek check cutting machine.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Damn, I hope so!!!! They take forever to deliver packages and they lose everything but my bills! They always seem to arrive in a timely manner!! I also get a lot of my neighbors mail.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a ringing endorsement for government health care.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
USPS will be like the Local Libraries very soon. Defunct. Digital world will change things greatly.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
not to defend USPS salaries , perks , and amount of staff , but as I mentioned , shipping of small parcels is actually cheaper via priority mail than UPS/Fedex , and usually faster ( at least from MidwayUSA to this location )

and Fedex as a replacement ?......forget it

back in
late Feb the local Fedex truck out of Watertown had a package for me , a machinery part I needed pretty bad.....according to tracking it was on the truck 4 days before they attempted delivery , because I live 2 miles off a hard surfaced road and we had a lousy 6 inches of snow on the ground
then the silly woman finally delivered on a day when it was thawing , greasy , and ten times harder going than the cold days

but our mailman showed up everday thru that period....Fedex as a repacement?....no thanks

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by WidowMaker
USPS will be like the Local Libraries very soon. Defunct. Digital world will change things greatly.

Yeah, but what about the growing number of people ordering everything online? Hell, I order a good portion of my groceries on amazon.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Funny as hell how UPS and Fed EX deliver to rural zip codes for the same price as their urban counterparts..

Not for me. UPS or Fex X will cost about $40 to shop a small package to me from the lower 48. BT/DT.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The USPS would do a lot better if the Government (Congress) would keep it's nose out of their opperation. Seems to me that everything the government touches turns to crap.

Bob

If you can read and write, thank a teacher
If it's in English, thank a Vet

Life Member NRA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

Funny as hell how UPS and Fed EX deliver to rural zip codes for the same price as their urban counterparts..

Not for me. UPS or Fex X will cost about $40 to shop a small package to me from the lower 48. BT/DT.

Should the rest of the states subsidize Alaska by continuing to fund the USPS when we have better alternatives?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Calvin

Should the rest of the states subsidize Alaska by continuing to fund the USPS when we have better alternatives?

Good question. I guess it comes down to how much the other states value Alaska. Cut the usps, and you'll see costs skyrocket,and services go away in Alaska. It might not matter for some, but many down south folks rather enjoy visiting Alaska, and utilizing what it has to offer.. without the costs being sky high.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 257Bob, 222Sako, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,946
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.